Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The only new product I want from Apple is the only product that gets no love. Gimme a new mac mini:mad: At this point in time, I would even settle for a mac mini rumor.

There are plenty of creative people in this forum. Can one of you whip up a nice mac mini rumor to assuage my feelings of neglect?

I think I overcompensated for my lack of creativity…

yTSybRe.png

Last edited:

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
27" 4K/retina iMac, 12" retina MBA, and 5.5" iPhone would be the perfect setup. This is my dream.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Hybrid?

A 12" retina format sounds like the iPad Pro and a MBP hybrid classification.
Detachable screen and it becomes iOS. When in the keyboard dock, Yosemite.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Just update the mac mini, without jacking the price.

Also, stop wasting all the potential of AppleTV, and release an SDK already!!! The presumption is that the innards of the AppleTV would also be better than single core 2010 tech as well. Such a damn waste.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I wish it was exactly that: an iMac that doubles as a 4K display - allowing the use of the iMac's GPU over Thunderbolt and thus making every Mac 4K ready.

Hellooo $2000 Display to power my $900 MBA so I can play the $100 game instead of the $10 game!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I called this from the moment I began using the OS X Yosemite developer preview. The choice of font Apple made is clearly intended for use on retina screens, which means they're going to offer a "retina" (or 4k) option for the iMac and will use this same panel in a new Thunderbolt display.

I'll even go step further with my prediction and will say that the display will support the new Thunderbolt 2.0 spec, making it a very viable choice for professionals who use the Mac Pro for content development. This will close the obvious gap in Apple's current product portfolio -- I trust they aren't exactly super keen that they currently have to list other manufacturer's 4k displays on their website in the interim. By Q1 2015, they should at least have an offering planned of their own.

The final step is to refresh their product lineup with video cards that support 4k, so that even people with Mac Minis are not left out of the fun. ;)

More predictable than prophetic, Nostradamus. With more of their product lines pushing "retina" resolutions it only makes sense that the OS would also be written to you know... Support the hardware

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
A 12-Inch rMBP would be so insanely random. It would be appropriate to introduce retina MacBook Air's in 12'' & 14'' inch sizes.

12'' Air, 13'' Pro, 14'' Air & 15'' Pro.

I suspect that the Air will never be retina. The Air Series would be the new MacBooks and the Retina Pros would the only Pros at some point

----------

Best news of the day -- REAL Mac News!! Tired of hearing about iPhone parts and mockups everyday...This is "Mac" rumors, and we need more news everyday like this -- seriously.

This is no more 'news' than the iPhone stuff. Lets see what happens when Timmy and his posse open their mouths and speak

----------

Yeah, goes along with merging Mac OS X and iOS into the same thing (in spite of their claims to the contrary, they keep heading in that direction). :(

They never claimed that there would be no 'convergence' at all. They were asked if they would pull a Windows 8 and said no. However the two systems are based off the same code so doing common features each with the appropriate twists for the system in use isn't that odd.

----------

Agreed... but also the 4K screens I've seen personally don't always look better than 1080p screens because the way they handle colors and have artifacts. I love the idea of 4K, I just think the tech has a bit of a ways to go.

A part of that issue could be the data being fed in. ****** files are going to look even more ****** when you put them on a bigger screen. Which could be a major reason for the whole x.265 gambit

----------

I could see 4K displays before iMac's; the Mac Pro already [fully] supports it and that market would gladly pony up the cash

yep and if they included HDMI it could perhaps be used as a 'tv' for the Apple TV.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I'm having a severe "meh" feeling about Apple's latest OS X releases.

"Every bit as powerful as it looks." ? Sounds more like trying to act as if you're tough when everybody knows you're quite the opposite.

Boring releases I honestly find. Lots of things are moving on the Windows front.

I'm actually reading that as "it will be slow on your old hardware. buy a new mac to run Yosemite." (Leopard all over again)

Hope I'm wrong, but I'll find out tomorrow.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I kind of hope Apple keeps releasing new Non-retina Airs for a while or even calls the new 12-inch a different product line/name.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I suppose if Apple can jam WWDC full of new software info, two hardware focused events might give them time to cover everything.

iPhone 6, New iPad Air + Mini, iWatch, 4K iMac, 4K Thunderbolt Display, Retina MacBook Air, Retina MacBook Pro update.

Bring on the autumn!

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
It depends what you want to do at 1080p/1440p vs 4K. With gaming or anything involving the use of OpenGL to manipulate point set data, that is computationally expensive. You shouldn't see a difference when it comes to your web browser or desktop, and as has been pointed out in the past, any lag on the rmbps was on the software end, not a lack of capability in the raw hardware. For basic tasks I can't tell the difference on a rmbp between integrated and discrete. You do need drivers that can handle 4k at 60hz, but they wouldn't release a 4k imac without those drivers in place.

I do a lot of video editing and photo editing as well as gaming and 3D work. And if I'm spending so much money on a 4K iMac, I want it to be able to do all of the in native res just as well as current iMacs do them now.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I do a lot of video editing and photo editing as well as gaming and 3D work. And if I'm spending so much money on a 4K iMac, I want it to be able to do all of the in native res just as well as current iMacs do them now.

The geforce 750m is not capable to do all the things on the 1800p resolution.
So an imac with 4k and 880m could be a posibility but i would love internal speakers to be made side by side with Beats

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
The geforce 750m is not capable to do all the things on the 1800p resolution.
So an imac with 4k and 880m could be a posibility but i would love internal speakers to be made side by side with Beats

I guess by 1800p you did mean 1080p. Then how come I have been doing heavy 1080p video editing flawlessly on my iMac for the past year? I also game on my 750m at 1080p with no problems and at over 60fps most of the time. Are you just looking at benchmarks of the 750? Because almost all benchmarks online are of the much lower performing GDDR3 variant. The iMac and rMBP use the GDDR5.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
i think the 21.5" imac will go with 1440p and the 27" with 4k

27" 4K/retina iMac, 12" retina MBA, and 5.5" iPhone would be the perfect setup. This is my dream.

For 4K to be retina, it should be 24" or smaller. Apple's in a bit of a bind here. They have to wait until they can get a higher res 27" panel, but they could do a 24" retina today. Though I've been wrong before.

Apple 4K display? Can't wait to see how overpriced that is.

Apple's 30" display was in line with the competition when it was released. It didn't keep up though. Plus it'll likely have a Thunderbolt dock - worth at least $200 - $300.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
For 4K to be retina, it should be 24" or smaller. Apple's in a bit of a bind here. They have to wait until they can get a higher res 27" panel, but they could do a 24" retina today. Though I've been wrong before.

Apple's 30" display was in line with the competition when it was released. It didn't keep up though. Plus it'll likely have a Thunderbolt dock - worth at least $200 - $300.

God I miss the CCFL LCD's Apple released ~2004. I had 2 23" panels, lasted me quite a while. Then I "upgraded" to 2 24" LED LCD's, that was a mistake. Horrible quality, went through 3 each. Thankfully Apple has great service in the U.S., they replaced them with 2 new 27" with AppleCare at no cost.

The 30" ACD was stellar! (and yes, it was priced competitively as it was mostly a professional market item)

DooDuh

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Will someone please tell me the difference between retina display and 4 K resolution? I'm tech-challanged and can barely keep up sometimes. :eek:

rtfmoz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
I pointed out that buying a Mac Pro for primarily gaming purposes would be like buying an M1 Abrams and an Apache helicopter and then training a whole team of Navy Seals to hold up a gas station in rural Kansas.

It still would be staggeringly cool to walk into a LAN and drop that space age black cylinder onto a desk. Eat your heart out boys....

To bad it's not really a gaming machine, I would probably own one otherwise.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I guess by 1800p you did mean 1080p. Then how come I have been doing heavy 1080p video editing flawlessly on my iMac for the past year? I also game on my 750m at 1080p with no problems and at over 60fps most of the time. Are you just looking at benchmarks of the 750? Because almost all benchmarks online are of the much lower performing GDDR3 variant. The iMac and rMBP use the GDDR5.

No, i mean 1800p native resolution of 15" macbook pro right?
So it will be the same deal with a 4K iMac..not everything will work perfect on native resolution but still..

----------

An iMac can be called retina even with over 160 ppi i think, ipad has 220 ppi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.