Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Best news of the day -- REAL Mac News!! Tired of hearing about iPhone parts and mockups everyday...This is "Mac" rumors, and we need more news everyday like this -- seriously.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
4K standalone display? Finally. Those USB2 thunderbolt displays are an embarrassment.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Rumor: The Mac Mini will be discontinued.

It'll be displaced by the Mac Pro for when you need a headless Mac, and by a refreshed Apple TV with an app store when all you need is a simple home media server.

There, are you mortified?

Now that I've changed my shorts and cleaned my chair, I decided to amend your quote to accurately reflect my feelings regarding your rumor.

But that was funny so I will give you a +1 for effort.

I have a Falcon NW Fragbox (power for gaming) as an equivalency to the Mac Pro. 3 Chromecast and a Roku negates the Apple TV. I stated before my MBA and iPad2 are rock solid and nothing recent is compelling enough for me to update. I do want a mini though.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
MacRumors: where unpaid analysts are born. :p

Fixed that for you.

Those dumb analysts (dumb when they say anything negative about Apple) and smart analysis (smart when they say anything positive about Apple) are both typically paid to speculate on what's coming from Apple.

We unpaid ones do it for free. But curiously, we're also dumb/stupid/troll when we speculate to the negative and are smart/genius/etc when we speculate to the positive too.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I have a late 2012 iMac. I've been holding out for 2nd generation Retina iMacs however.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Not just a 4K display...

I really dislike the glossy 27" TB displays both because they are glossy and they are 16:9.

I want a true replacement for my 4 year old 30" ACD in matte that pixel doubles the current 2560 x 1600 count.

Sounds like I'm just going to have to wait longer till the tech is there. I just hope the old girl holds out for a few more years.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've been looking forward to an updated Thunderbolt Display.

I'm not the MacBook Air's target audience, but I'll be fascinated to see what designs changes and features they incorporate. I've been expecting a "space grey" MacBook.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
4K iMacs? Me sad:( because I have no money to buy a new iMac damn if only there was a job that would pay more having your business is not so great.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'd be all over a retina screened 27" iMac, even if it's not true pixel doubling.

That means that you'd have to run in scaled mode (with consequent extra load on the GPU) to get the same 'real estate' as the 27".

What would make sense is a 21.5" retina iMac. (if a suitable panel is available).

It could use a UHD screen which would be an exact pixel doubling of the current 1080p 21.5" screen.

...and a 21.5" Thunderbolt Display might make a good peripheral for a retina Air or MBP - which is the main reason for the existence of the TBD.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'd never buy a 4K iMac in 2014. I'd wait until at least the second iteration to have a graphics card that can handle it as well as the GPU's in the 2013 iMac's running 1080p/1440p.

It depends what you want to do at 1080p/1440p vs 4K. With gaming or anything involving the use of OpenGL to manipulate point set data, that is computationally expensive. You shouldn't see a difference when it comes to your web browser or desktop, and as has been pointed out in the past, any lag on the rmbps was on the software end, not a lack of capability in the raw hardware. For basic tasks I can't tell the difference on a rmbp between integrated and discrete. You do need drivers that can handle 4k at 60hz, but they wouldn't release a 4k imac without those drivers in place.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
The only new product I want from Apple is the only product that gets no love. Gimme a new mac mini:mad: At this point in time, I would even settle for a mac mini rumor.

There are plenty of creative people in this forum. Can one of you whip up a nice mac mini rumor to assuage my feelings of neglect?

Rumor I heard is there is a new Mac mini in the works to be released sometime with unknown specs.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'll even go step further with my prediction and will say that the display will support the new Thunderbolt 2.0 spec, making it a very viable choice for professionals who use the Mac Pro for content development.
I'm sure both of them will love it.
This will close the obvious gap in Apple's current product portfolio -- I trust they aren't exactly super keen that they currently have to list other manufacturer's 4k displays on their website in the interim.
... and yet it's been >1000 days since they've refreshed the aging ATD. I want to get a monitor for home, and given the docking features and lack of having to do questionable EDID override tricks I'd almost plunk down the extra $300 to get an Apple display over a Dell or something. But I can't bring myself to sink that kind of cash into the old ATD.
By Q1 2015, they should at least have an offering planned of their own.
And in the meantime what do I use on a 2009 MP and an early 2013 MBPR?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
What I'd like to see:

-iMac & Mac Mini lose HDD options, have entire Mac lineup use only PCIe flash
-iMac & TB display thinner
-4K or double resolution iMac & TB display (but might have to wait until the new Intel chips are released)
-Ditch the iPod
-[Extremely unlikely] Converge MBA & MBP lines into maybe 12" & 14" -thin like MBA but with power of MBP

With the last one, remember that most consumers aren't as tech savvy as the people on MacRumors. Many people might not really understand the difference between a retina MBA & MBP. And Apple caters more to the consumer, not the super-duper tech savvy people like us. :( Heck, look at the sales figures Apple just released. iPhones made up more sales than everything else combined. And Apple even sold more iPhones in the last 7 years than it sold Macs in its entirety. That's why I also put "Ditch the iPod." The iPod got a measly 1% of sales.

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
12" rMBA
15" rMBA (hi-end)
17" rMBP (hi-end supercharged)
---
Mac Mini
Mac Pro
---
27" Retina Display TB2
---
iPad Mini
iPad
---
iPhone (4")
iPhone Galaxy (5.5")
---
iPod (shuffle)
---
Apple Playmobil Tim & Jony Dollhouse (RED)™ with expansion sets

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Best news of the day -- REAL Mac News!! Tired of hearing about iPhone parts and mockups everyday...This is "Mac" rumors, and we need more news everyday like this -- seriously.

How the hell can they report about something that is rare and only comes up once in a while?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I feel like the intervals between hardware releases get larger and larger (at least it seems like that) and the wow factor gets smaller and smaller. That being said, there are still very few products which are as intuitive as apple products (just my opinion). It is time to at least come out with some cool peripherals (backlit bluetooth keyboard) or something to tide consumers over!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.