Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
whose ads,in your opinion, are better? Microsoft Vista's or apple iPhone's?

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
I like Vista's "WOW" ad because it can go both ways. "Wow' like an Omigosh that's awesome OR a "Wow" like Omigosh that totally and completly absurd. I would go for the second "Wow".

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
It said there will be a phone from Apple coming in June 2007. 3 months before release date, thats plenty of information for an ad cmpaign right now.

There will be a movie coming from Paramount in 3 months.

There will be a car coming from Ford in 3 months.

There will be a drug coming from Merck in 3 months.

Yeah, those are all great ideas, I should take those to Madison Avenue.

Apple should have at least shown a couple things that iPhone can do to show the average person why they should give a damn.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
I think there is an important distinction here however.

Windows is for sale now - all specs to the public.

The iPhone is not. All Apple can do at this point is try to generate buzz, tease us.

So fine, they can pull an "Infiniti" for a while, but to TheBobcat's point, they'd better get the teeth into the phone's value equation to follow the teases up when the phone ships.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
While your point might be true for other products, at this point, a teaser ad will get little buzz for Apple that the media didn't deliver in January. Ok, so maybe they got back on people's minds, but I think that Apple could really leverage iPhone by just showing images of things like coverflow and the photo management app. We don't need an infomercial, but I think an audience that large could have gotten a little more. But hey, it'll succeed anyway so my point is moot.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Apple should have at least shown a couple things that iPhone can do to show the average person why they should give a damn.
Could you show me where in the iPod ads that air something that shows the average person to give a damn about an MP3 player? If I remember correctly, the initial iPod ads were very different then the ones we are used to seeing now, but Apple is probably planning on playing the iPod card. The ads don't say **** about the product, but they grab the viewers attention, something that is very important about getting your product on the market. As far as the average person is concerned, I think more and more people just want to know what a product is and want to review it for themselves, not have it shoved down their throat. I think the constent "Hello" and for the most part famous TV and Movie Stars were more then enough for people to watch the whole commercial to see what it was about.

I haven't seen the Vista ad, but I was very impressed with the iPhone commercial. As someone else said, the product is 3 months away, and by giving the average comsumer a glimpse at the final product, I think most people will be interested in what it has to offer when it's available.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
iPod ads don't say anything about the product because everyone already knows what it does and it hasn't done anything new in a long time.

But the shuffle ad showed what it could do and why it might matter, in an inventive way.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
the iphone ad was good. Why? Because it grabbed people's attention and will stick in their memory. Mere familiarity is enough to make people like products/companies/people more, which is what apple wants right now. Plenty of time to demonstrate features closer to the ship date.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
i am very curious why apple didn't use the word "phone" in its ads(I know, i know, they try to express the "phone" through action.), after all, for ppl who are following apple, they of course know there will be an iPhone, but Im afraid most ppl don't follow apple as apple expected. so a more clearly printed word might be better. even an internet adress to iPhone's page would be very helpful.

however, the lack of word "iPhone" make me wonder: does apple get this iphone's name yet? I knew cicso and apple reached agreement, but this looks very suspecious.

I think Vista's WOW ad is very good, clean and funny, I missed the other ad of vista tho.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
however, the lack of word "iPhone" make me wonder: does apple get this iphone's name yet? I knew cicso and apple reached agreement, but this looks very suspecious.
Well I'm sure this ad was made about 2-3 weeks ago at least so the negotiations were still going on at that time. I'm sure they didn't throw it in there just to be on the safe side while they were making it. Although they could have just as easily thrown it in there at the end and it would have taken them 2 days to do so, unless they had to have the completed ad turned in a week or two ago as a finish ad, which is probably possible.

TheBobcat said:
iPod ads don't say anything about the product because everyone already knows what it does and it hasn't done anything new in a long time.

But the shuffle ad showed what it could do and why it might matter, in an inventive way.
While the iPod is an established product today, I think you can agree that it wasn't the number 1 MP3 player on the market the day after it came out. It took a lot of time and a lot of money invested in advertising for that to happen. Also, with the success of the iPod, a lot of people have been waiting for the introduction of the iPhone. I don't what is in the media where you live, but I remember seeing 2 or 3 minute specials on just about every local newstation where I live as well as national shows on CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc. the day it was introduced. You can also factor in the fact it was all over just about every newspaper printed. The fact of the matter is the success of the iPod has put Apple in the spotlight and doesn't require them to tell every person in the world what the iPhone is capable of. As I said in my previous post, more and more consumers are interested in learning about the product then being told what is good and what isn't. Not all, but a lot are.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
i am very curious why apple didn't use the word "phone" in its ads

-clevin

I think it is because they don't have to.

A pinnacle of good marketing is to get the audience to think the words and symbols you, as the marketer, desire them to, and not spoon feed. Really, that's because a person retains their own thoughts better than those just provided.

So taking that concept to the iPhone and iPod marketing, folks in the target market will know that all the "Hellos"on-the-phone have something to do with a phone. Whereas even though they've evolved, the iPod ads have always featured dancing people, e.g. music.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I like the bikini one! lol

The Flip3d effect is the most waste of time, and ram i have ever seen!

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
And if anybody impressed by those effects in the last video saw the effects in OSX, they'd be thinking "Wow, how does Microsoft sell so many when Macs look the same, if not better?"

Once you've used Jaguar/Panther/Tiger, (especially Tiger), you look at Vista and are underwhelmed by it.

I was expecting more in the eye candy department with Vista for sure - once I used it, I was a bit dissapointed (I wish it looked a lot better than Tiger, pushing Apple to make Leopard better...but it doesn't).

Anyway, those ads are lame.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
There will be a movie coming from Paramount in 3 months.

There will be a car coming from Ford in 3 months.

There will be a drug coming from Merck in 3 months.

Yeah, those are all great ideas, I should take those to Madison Avenue.

Only problem with that if, all those company's make those thing already. Apple hasn't made a phone to date, and its a pretty big deal.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Ram

The RAM, processor usage, and lines of code necessary
to produce these underwhelming results makes me
exude a resounding.................... wow

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Zune

Could you show me where in the iPod ads that air something that shows the average person to give a damn about an MP3 player? If I remember correctly, the initial iPod ads were very different then the ones we are used to seeing now, but Apple is probably planning on playing the iPod card. The ads don't say **** about the product, but they grab the viewers attention, something that is very important about getting your product on the market. As far as the average person is concerned, I think more and more people just want to know what a product is and want to review it for themselves, not have it shoved down their throat. I think the constent "Hello" and for the most part famous TV and Movie Stars were more then enough for people to watch the whole commercial to see what it was about.

I haven't seen the Vista ad, but I was very impressed with the iPhone commercial. As someone else said, the product is 3 months away, and by giving the average comsumer a glimpse at the final product, I think most people will be interested in what it has to offer when it's available.

True, we didn't see zune until the product was actually released.
Good thing;)

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana

yea, bikini one is great... the look on his face, and then hers, and then his... ;)

Regarding the 1st ad,,, didn't realize that there would be that many Chevy [?] trucks w/ English steering on 'em, esp. in 1978 in Nebraska. :eek:

:p

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Right Side Steering

yea, bikini one is great... the look on his face, and then hers, and then his... ;)

Regarding the 1st ad,,, didn't realize that there would be that many Chevy [?] trucks w/ English steering on 'em, esp. in 1978 in Nebraska. :eek:

:p

I was curious also, but figured farmer's trucks, like postal vehicles,
had steering on the right to aid in chores, like harvesting:p

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The RAM, processor usage, and lines of code necessary
to produce these underwhelming results makes me
exude a resounding.................... wow

:D :D :D it is very underwhelming.
I haven't actually used Vista, but Flip3d looks like it just expanded on alt+tab, but not in a very good way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.