Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Already have a defender on the way, but I do have a question about the stand. Is it adjustable? I'm wondering if it can be set at different angles, especially low enough for typing.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I ordered both the comutter and the defender. I was planning to get just the comutter case, but figured I would try both.

I have to say, I'm glad I did. I much much much prefer the defender.

The defender case seems much better built. It does add some bulk, but the protection is amazing. For using around the house, I find that if I don't snap the front cover to the back and just leave it off, then the weight of it isn't much more noticeable than the weight of the comutter case.

And I actually like the look of the defender case (without the snap on cover) much better than the comutter case. In all the pictures, the comutter case looks sexier and sleeker, but in real life, the defender I think actually looks better. It is much higher quality. Definately worth the extra $20 in price.

Thats funny. I did the same thing. I ordered both commuter and defender, and they both show up tomorrow, and I've already made my choice on the defender after reading your post, and all the pictures. My first problem before, was that I wanted the commuter being thinner, but it seems like your defender without the back cover on it. I'll probably do the same thing. I'm excited for this case. The apple case was kind of a joke, so weak, and if I dropped my ipad once, it seems like it would break in this case, so Im glad that I ordered the defender.

cobaltrich27

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
D/FW TX
Dont forget the coupon codes!!!

Hey gang just a follow up I am still completely happy with my iPad Defender case after a week usage. Defender is very durable and gives the iPad a solid feel and construction.

I notice questions about the hole in the back I will be taking it apart this weekend for final assembly before my trip to Hawaii think Im done goofing around with it. I will put the screen protector on and take some final pics of the hole protector and screen protector on.

Hey just heads up head over to the iPhone accessories thread if you need a iPhone 4 Defender they are ready I will take pics once it gets here. I just ordered mine and the coupon codes still work :D

Looks like I get to email Alex at Otterbox AGAIN to let him know I got another discounted purchase. Alex was the rep that was very blunt with me & told me there are no discounts on Otterbox :p

Here is the code gives 10% off and free Fedex shipping WOOHOO!!!

Code: techbargains6100p

Cheers!!!

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
Just received my Ipad Defender case today and order the Iphone 4 defender case and used techbargains6100p code on both items. :D

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
How is the screen protector that comes with these OtterBox cases? Is it anti-glare? Does it show fingerprints? Trying to decide if I need to order PowerSupport screen protector when I order the case.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I ordered both the comutter and the defender. I was planning to get just the comutter case, but figured I would try both.

I have to say, I'm glad I did. I much much much prefer the defender.

The defender case seems much better built. It does add some bulk, but the protection is amazing. For using around the house, I find that if I don't snap the front cover to the back and just leave it off, then the weight of it isn't much more noticeable than the weight of the comutter case.

And I actually like the look of the defender case (without the snap on cover) much better than the comutter case. In all the pictures, the comutter case looks sexier and sleeker, but in real life, the defender I think actually looks better. It is much higher quality. Definately worth the extra $20 in price.

Well, now that is interesting. I also think the Commuter looks better in the pictures... I was planning to order it but now you've got me scared to pull the trigger. :D

Seems like almost everyone commenting in this thread has the Defender... anyone else have thoughts on the Commuter?

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Well, now that is interesting. I also think the Commuter looks better in the pictures... I was planning to order it but now you've got me scared to pull the trigger. :D

Seems like almost everyone commenting in this thread has the Defender... anyone else have thoughts on the Commuter?

Well, I figured that defender is only more than commuter, so I snagged one. Better for flying and traveling anywhere. Much better. I'll post my review too.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
OtterBox had a hell of a time scaling their case design practices up to something the size of the iPad. I have to hand it to them, though, they've done pretty well for a first attempt.

They are, however, not nearly as good as the iPhone/N900/N97 mini/Bold 9700 Commuter/Defender cases that I've tried and tested. I think there are some difficulties associated with covering something as big as the iPad that they'll need to resolve with new techniques- particularly the way the rubber on the defender version attaches to the underlying plastic case, it's really difficult to get right.

The Commuter case had me stumped for about half an hour, I just couldn't figure out how to get it on. But once on, I really liked it. It's a damned good example of a silicone/rubber case and actually looks pretty good.

The defender was much easier to get on, but the rubber layer is a nuisance to get seated correctly around the plastic frame. I loathe to say it for fear of belittling the sheer amount of effort that has gone into producing these cases, but I'm pretty sure OtterBox can do better! The Defender also has a gap around the slide-off dock cover and, on my sample at least, a slight gap above the Apple logo portal, both of which show the silver back of the iPad.. if only slightly.

The Defender also doesn't afford the iPad any screen protection (apart from with the supplied screen protector) which is a bit off. Those of you who have used an iPhone defender case will appreciate why, though. OtterBox had an issue with the thick plastic screen protector built into those cases, where it would "suck" down onto the iPhone screen. This could be more or less solved by also applying a screen protector, but imagine scaling that problem up to iPad proportions!

Fortunately you can clip the big plastic shell (which doubles as a stand) over the front to protect the screen in transit. But that's not going to help if you're placing the iPad in the hands of small children. That said, my 3 year old hasn't dropped or abused mine yet.

To summarize: the Commuter is a great case with brilliant edge protection but was, for me, a nightmare to get onto the iPad. The Defender is, as is typical of OtterBox, absolutely rock solid in terms of edge and corner protection- no other case I've tested comes close - but is somewhat lacking in screen protection.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a version 2.0, these were a long time in the making.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
To answer my own question, after reading a review online, the stand is not adjustable.

So is it comfortable typing at the angle pictured on otterbox's site? Or is anyone also lugging a 3rd party stand with them to set up for some note taking?

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
To answer my own question, after reading a review online, the stand is not adjustable.

So is it comfortable typing at the angle pictured on otterbox's site? Or is anyone also lugging a 3rd party stand with them to set up for some note taking?

You can use the iPad on either side of the cover stand. If I were to guess, one side equals about 40 degree angle and the other ~30 degrees.

The 40 degree side works good for me for typing.

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Got mine a little while ago and it has a bad looking spot on the rim of the opening for the screen. I'll be emailing otterbox about it for a replacement I suppose.:(
image.jpg

Roobsa

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
London
Mine arrived today too. Excellent fit except for the discoloration on the back panel (see below). I've emailed customer services so I'm hoping they'll be able to ship one out to me ASAP. I don't want to have to pay for the shipping fees.

4818998816_4ae30fe7ae_z.jpg

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I pulled mine back out and looked and mine is same way. It has the weird whitish "stain" on it.:mad:

Correction, it seems to only show up when the light hits a certain way, almost like a difference in the plastic when it was molded.

Jakkar

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
New York City
My iPad and iPhone 4 Defender cases showed up today. Got both put on their respective device though the iPad was definitely more difficult, but still pretty simple.

The sticky rubber surround grabs an particles that get anywhere near it so it will certainly be difficult to keep it looking good during my daily commute. The case feels great and seems to be well built.

The big gap on the case on the picture of the back was because I did not have the tabs properly inserted into the case but after fixing that it is fitting very well.

Defenderipad1.jpg

Defenderipad2.jpg

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
^^^^ How do you feel about the film screen on the front... I've read that they arent that great.... I am planning on ordering the powersupport screen to using that on my defender... but, fedex screwed up and it havent showed up at my house yet. So, I havent tried it yet.

Jakkar

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
New York City
^^^^ How do you feel about the film screen on the front... I've read that they arent that great.... I am planning on ordering the powersupport screen to using that on my defender... but, fedex screwed up and it havent showed up at my house yet. So, I havent tried it yet.

I did not use the screen protector. I installed the iPhone 4 case first and did not like the protector on that so I just skipped the protector of the iPad.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I did not use the screen protector. I installed the iPhone 4 case first and did not like the protector on that so I just skipped the protector of the iPad.

yea, I guess I'll just order the powersupport film for my ipad. That'll be way better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.