Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ssrat

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
I just received my Defender Case and having the oil slick issue others have reported.
Seems to go away when the dock port cover is removed.
And this case makes the ipad heavy, wondering if i should have gotten the commuter instead.

I will a new tread to ask other who have both which one they prefer using.

I had the oil slick issue as well. I tried two different Defender cases. In the end Otterbox sent me a commuter case and will contact me when the Defender series is fixed to address this issue. When it is fixed I am going to send back the commuter for the defender.

I much prefer the defender over the commuter just because I travel a lot and need the extra protection that the defender series gives.

ronline

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
How long did it take for Otterbox to respond

I had the oil slick issue as well. I tried two different Defender cases. In the end Otterbox sent me a commuter case and will contact me when the Defender series is fixed to address this issue. When it is fixed I am going to send back the commuter for the defender.

I much prefer the defender over the commuter just because I travel a lot and need the extra protection that the defender series gives.

I sent an email to Ottterbox about a week ago and only got an automatic response email that my email was received.
I took the case off and on a couple of times hoping the oil slick would go away. But now noticed like small press /dent on my iPad like the case is just squeezing it way to hard.

ronline

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006

Also, do you notice a big difference in weight in the defender without the top cover vs the commuter?

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
My Defender arrived this morning and I'm very pleased with it. I took off the Music Skin I've had on the back of my iPad and fitted the Defender with no problem at all. I don't have any oil slicks on the screen which is good.

I also fitted the included screen protector. I've not had one on my iPad until now and was impressed with how easy this one was to fit. The positioning tabs really make a difference. I was also lucky with bubbles. On the first attempt I only had one small bit of dust which was easily removed with a piece of cellotape.

I got the Defender to protect my iPad when I go off on holiday next week. I plan on using it as a media player and entertainment device for my 2 year old daughter so wanted some extra protection. Even though she won't be using it unsupervised, I still wanted some extra protection for the trip.

The Defender won't my everyday case but will definitely make my iPad more toddler proof.

heboil

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Would you use the case and carry it in a bag that had no padding... just a nylon messenger type bag?

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Would you use the case and carry it in a bag that had no padding... just a nylon messenger type bag?

Personally, I believe the defender is fine by itself. As for the commuter, you may want to consider a netbook sleeve to help protect the screen.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Personally, I believe the defender is fine by itself. As for the commuter, you may want to consider a netbook sleeve to help protect the screen.

Picked up the commuter today at a Kiosk in Alpharetta. Sweet case. I have the commuter waiting for me at home for my IP4. Want to get rid of my bumper so bad.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I really want the defender case, right now I just can't justify spending the 90$ on a case, although I do own an otter case for my blackberry curve, and I know how great it is. Iam confident it could survive a toss from a rooftop (blackberry) in the case. Does anyone else own the defender. If so what are some pros and cons of it, aside from the oil slick issue and has that issue been addressed yet?

ronline

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
I really want the defender case, right now I just can't justify spending the 90$ on a case, although I do own an otter case for my blackberry curve, and I know how great it is. Iam confident it could survive a toss from a rooftop (blackberry) in the case. Does anyone else own the defender. If so what are some pros and cons of it, aside from the oil slick issue and has that issue been addressed yet?

The defender case is cheaper on Amazon.
But I got tired of waiting for the slow response for the oil slick problemm i had with the defender and ordered a commuter case on Amazon

kaplanreject

macrumors member
Anyone know if the power support anti glare under the screen of the defender will work for the oil slick.

I know it cured my Otterbox/iPhone oil slick issues.

On Edit:

Well, nevermind. I have just discovered that it does not come with the built in screen protector a la iPhone.

My apologies.

skullnbones

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
Does anyone who has both the defender and the commuter know if you can fit the removable cover/stand from the defender onto the commuter? I'd like the lighter commuter case but I would miss the stand as I type with a Bluetooth keyboard quite a bit.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Does anyone who has both the defender and the commuter know if you can fit the removable cover/stand from the defender onto the commuter? I'd like the lighter commuter case but I would miss the stand as I type with a Bluetooth keyboard quite a bit.

I think you can use it as a stand but it will not snap onto the Commuter.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010

$50 on amazon - free shipping

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Just got the Defender case and WOW, this thing is a Tank.

The fit and finish is a whole lot better than the Commuter case. Not going to use the removable shell, I don't see using it much. One thing I not a fan of is the fact that it is a Pet Hair Magnet.

Totally worth the $58.95 from eBay.

leeschill

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
Yup, Defender and Commuter are finally available. Defender is a beast. I'm thinking the Scosche is going to be a beast as well.

Hard Candy has a nice cushiony bubble case thats nice too.

basicinstinct91

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
$50.29 Defender case on Amazon

Bought my Defender case on Amazon.. too cheap to turn down
search for APL2-iPAD1-20-C4OTR because I am not sure linking is permitted

$50.29 free shipping

kandcats

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
NH
I just got the Defender for my iPad today. LOVE IT!! Previously I was using the Acase flip-pad and I like this one a lot better! I ditched the screen protector though as I couldn't get the bubbles out.

I'm not sure if I want to get a Zagg invisi shield or not.

I've already purchased an iPad for my husband for Christmas and I plan to get him a Defender too as he travels for work.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
We had someone donate 4 iPads to our hospital and they also donated otter box defenders. The screen protectors went on without a problem and I like the case but man is it heavy. But it will come in handy once we start giving these out to the kids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.