Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I asked the question earlier on this week and no replies either :( I would def get one but i already have the Iskin Revo2 case which is pretty damn good already.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
I have had one for 2 weeks. I LOVE it!

After dropping my 3G and shattering the screen (never happened on the 1st Gen after 20+ times dropping) I decided I needed something rugged.

I HIGHLY recommend this case for anyone that is prone to dropping or bumping the phone. A VERY good rugged easy to use case!!!

njpodder

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Yeah, Otterbox is wonderful

Hey Wetworks, I have been a fan of OtterBox for a while. I have used thier completely submersible iPod cases, and I also own the original defender case for hte 1st Gen iPhone. I LOVE that case, and if the 3G one is as good, which I am sure it is, then it is well worth the expense. Yo uget what you pay for with Otterbox. They had osme people upset with the original defender, so they remade it, and sent everyone new versions, letting them keep the old ones as well. Things like that in addition to the extremely high quality of their products make them a company you should be glad to do business with.

Don't bother ordering form their site, though. Right now, Amazon.com is selling this case, free shipping and all, for $29.95. Here is the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/OTTER-DEFENDER-IPHONE-CASE-BLACK/dp/B001FVPU9O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221763258&sr=8-4

Edit: Amazon currently has it being sold through one of their vendors, so no free shipping, but even with shipping costs, still a big savings over buying direct.

Wetworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks so much for the replies! Great tip on the Amazon price NJiPodder! In for one! :D

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Interested in this Defender case, too...which means I'd sell both of my Switcheasy Rebels (one black/black and one black/yellow).

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
The only thing i dont like are the watermarks it makes :( If its only because he has a screen protector on, then ill gladly take mine off. But for now ill stick with my Iskin revo2

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I love the Otterbox Defender case. I have one for my 1st generation iPhone, and ordered one for my 3g that I hope to get tomorrow (woohoo). The best protection for the iPhone that money can buy. Not the prettiest, but the all-black defender case is nice looking enough. Also, the touch through screen on the Otterbox is the best I've used to date, and I've had several cases with touch through screens. A hint for all people that have problems with so called bubbles or oil slick type problems or static cling with touch through screens, I had those problems as well, but then I realized that It had to do with the Power Support Crystal Film. Once I switched to the Power Support Anti-Glare Film, I've NEVER had those type of problems with bubbling, oil slicks or static cling when I've used cases with touch through screens. Give it a try, my friend got his Otterbox Defender for his iPod Touch, had the same problems, installed the Power Suppor Anti-Glare film to his iPod Touch, and the problem disappeared !
Absolutely love my Otterbox Defender ! Two thumbs way up !!

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
OK, I'm in.

Just found a vendor on Amazon that's selling the 3G version for $30 (US) plus shipping ($7.xx). Would like it a bit cheaper, of course, but that's as low as I've found it (for 3G, that is).

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Got mine. Installed easily. Like it better than the Switcheasy Rebel simply because of added protection.

Anyone wanna buy two Switcheasy Rebels (black/black & black/yellow) on the cheap?

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Heads-up:

Turns out the Otterbox Defender's bottom plug hole is just a smidge too small for the Griffin Powerjolt plug.

So I grabbed the Dremel and made the hole a bit wider.

Case closed, kids. Now back to your regularly scheduled mayhem.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I love the Otterbox Defender case. I have one for my 1st generation iPhone, and ordered one for my 3g that I hope to get tomorrow (woohoo). The best protection for the iPhone that money can buy. Not the prettiest, but the all-black defender case is nice looking enough. Also, the touch through screen on the Otterbox is the best I've used to date, and I've had several cases with touch through screens. A hint for all people that have problems with so called bubbles or oil slick type problems or static cling with touch through screens, I had those problems as well, but then I realized that It had to do with the Power Support Crystal Film. Once I switched to the Power Support Anti-Glare Film, I've NEVER had those type of problems with bubbling, oil slicks or static cling when I've used cases with touch through screens. Give it a try, my friend got his Otterbox Defender for his iPod Touch, had the same problems, installed the Power Suppor Anti-Glare film to his iPod Touch, and the problem disappeared !
Absolutely love my Otterbox Defender ! Two thumbs way up !!

I am having this problem also. But I do not have any film on my iphone. Its just a bare iphone in the otterbox case. The oil slick / marks are driving me crazy. Anyone find a solution other than putting a film over your iphone?

Terdinus Asus

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
(Without washing your hands, as it gets rid of the oils) run your palm up and down over the iPhone's screen.

If that doesn't help, try rub it on your cheek.

It sounds stupid and like a practical joke, but the oil on your hands/face act as a sort of barrier against that static effect.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I am having this problem also. But I do not have any film on my iphone. Its just a bare iphone in the otterbox case. The oil slick / marks are driving me crazy. Anyone find a solution other than putting a film over your iphone?

Barbs, my only solution for you would be to get the anti-glare film. I've owned several cases now that have integrated touch screens like the Otterbox, and I had the crystal clear screen protector, and they all bubbled up, had oild slicks etc. Once I put the anti-glare, I have never had that problem, and like I said, I've owned many cases that had integrated touch screens. I now have th Ivyskin Quattro T4, and no problem at all. You'll thank me for this, trust me. No need to use palm grease, or any other wacky solutions. Get the anti-glare, install it, problems over !

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I will be getting an otterbox for the iPhone 3G anyday now in the mail for my new iPhone. I can be sure to post my impressions for everyone once it arrives.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
Barbs, my only solution for you would be to get the anti-glare film.

Ok, I'll give that a try. The marks are driving me crazy. The case is awesome except for the marks on the screen.

Can you please recommend an anti-glare film? A link would be great also.

Thanks!

dlbernau

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
baby powder

If what you need to fix the oil slick problem. Place a small amount on a tissue and lightly rub the screen. No more slick. Worked perfectly for me.

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I just got my Otterbox in the mail today! Installed my iPhone in it. I have to say. This case is the most rugged and solidly built case I've ever seen! It's really built well. And its worth every penny.

I had the oil slick problem, but i think its not the fault of the case. When you peel off the film from the screen protector you need to clean the surface well with a microfiber cloth or some kleenex. Clean your iphone screen well. Get all the oil from your finger prints on it before you install it. Once i did this, the oil slick disappeared! You just need to clean it well before installing your iPhone.

As for the bulk that the case adds. I didn't mind. It doesn't add THAT much bulk. just a little. And frankly, I thought the iPhone was a bit small for me to hold onto in the first place. With my otter box on it, its has enough size for me to grip it comfortably. Plus it has a silicone glove on the outside, which helps a heck of a lot in the grip dept.

The holster takes some getting used too. Go online to their website and safe yourself the headache of how to insert and remove it from the belt holster. Once you see them do it in the video, you'll understand how it works. And it works great!

Overall, its solidly built. And if you have a job that can be in a bit of a rough environment where your phone may bump into stuff and get a bit tossed around. The otterbox is a must. I feel that its safe as it can be in the otterbox.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
I was planning to get one because I want to take my iphone out on the boat (I know it wont float and its not waterproof, but whatever helps) and geocaching with me.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I just ordered this case from Amazon base on these and other video reviews. Hope it isn't a mistake.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I had the oil slick problem, but i think its not the fault of the case. When you peel off the film from the screen protector you need to clean the surface well with a microfiber cloth or some kleenex. Clean your iphone screen well. Get all the oil from your finger prints on it before you install it. Once i did this, the oil slick disappeared! You just need to clean it well before installing your iPhone.

My otterbox defender case didn't have any film over the screen. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Is it normal to have gotten one of these cases without a film over the inside screen to protect it during shipping and handling?

Anyway, I went to the apple store near me last night and purchased a Power Support Anti-Glare film. Instead it on my iphone no problem and no more oil slick problems! Thank you for whoever it was in this thread that recommended this solution.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I just ordered this case from Amazon base on these and other video reviews. Hope it isn't a mistake.

You will love it. My wife just ordered one after seeing my case. I paid $50 buying it directly from AT&T. I bought my wife's from amazon for just $33 with free shipping. This is the toughest case there is. Just make sure you get a anti-glare film (I bought the Power Support brand, cost $14, comes with 2 films).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.