Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuthbert

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Questions

Some questions for those of you with cases:

1. Has anyone tried the baby powder technique to get rid of the oil slick?

2. Do the case edges get in the way when using the touch screen keyboard?

3. Does it feel too bulky on the hip when you wear the holster? I work white collar, but still want a solid case.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
My black OtterBox Defender case arrived and so far I really like this case. It makes the iPhone bigger than my previous silicone case, but for situations where maximum protection is needed, then this is the case to have.

At first I couldn't get my iPhone to sit up correctly without falling over using the belt clip as a viewing stand, but then I realized the swivel clip needs to be at an angle. It works great now.

I will be trying the baby powder technique for oil slick removal. The case doesn't get in the way of using the keyboard at all and it doesn't feel bulky on the hip.

My only complaint is that there was no need to have a window in the back of the case for the Apple logo. Do I really need to show it off?

Overall though, I am very pleased with this case, every iPhone owner should have one of these.

One more thing, the OtterBox web site states this case has protection in 3 layers, this simply is not true and is very misleading to consumers. It has 1 layer of protection on the screen, the back Apple logo, the camera lens and 2 layers for the rest of the phone. This case does not provide 3 layers of protection anywhere on the iPhone.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Just order mine black/yellow from AMAZON $30.99 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XSBMWY

41-rzfaBqyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
You do know that is not the 3G Defender case right? It is the 1st gen iPhone case and the reason it was only $30.99.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
I've used the Seidio Innocase II with holster since near day one with the 3G and have been wanting something more robust for my field site inspection days, and man this fits the bill.

I like everything about it, and thanks go out to those that provided the info on the right screen protector to avoid the 'watermark' problem. The fit and finish of this case is outstanding. The holster clip that clicks into a stand is just an added bonus. The case certainly adds some bulk, but it still feels good in the hand which was a nice surprise. I really expected it to turn the 3G into a brick.

More amazing is the fact that this combo can be had discounted for less than the Seidio.

This is a niche type case, but it fills it better than anything on the market today.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Now if they only made it waterproof.

You've got to be kidding, I hope.. right?

I'm just curious why you'd be needing a waterproof case, do you place your gadgets near a body of liquid? - considering an iPhone especially

I might see this if you're hiking or strenuous work that you'll be sweating or something, but certainly gadgets really don't mix with liquid that well.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
You've got to be kidding, I hope.. right?
No I am not kidding. I am not saying I would submerse my iPhone in water. But there are times when you get caught in a rain storm or it is to close to the sink and gets splashed. It doesn't take much to get the internal water sensors to change colors and then if you ever have a warranty issue Apple will deny it based on those sensors.

My concern and need for a waterproof case is to protect those internal water sensors.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
No I am not kidding. I am not saying I would submerse my iPhone in water. But there are times when you get caught in a rain storm or it is to close to the sink and gets splashed. It doesn't take much to get the internal water sensors to change colors and then if you ever have a warranty issue Apple will deny it based on those sensors.

My concern and need for a waterproof case is to protect those internal water sensors.

The dock cover and headphone jack protector should be able to help during those cases, other than that I guess you really have to take care of your iPhone.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
The dock cover and headphone jack protector should be able to help during those cases, other than that I guess you really have to take care of your iPhone.
Yes they do but they won't do much good if you are caught in a down pour. I do take care of my stuff but there are times when a device like this can't help but be around moisture. If the water sensors weren't so sensitive then it wouldn't be an issue, but they are.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Yes they do but they won't do much good if you are caught in a down pour. I do take care of my stuff but there are times when a device like this can't help but be around moisture. If the water sensors weren't so sensitive then it wouldn't be an issue, but they are.

Good luck taking care of yours.

GreenLightJerky

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
I have and love the defender.
Its an awesome case.
I take it off every 2 months to dust it out.
GREAT CASE!

I need to buy an external battery. What battery is good that will work with the defender? any one know?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I need to buy an external battery. What battery is good that will work with the defender? any one know?
The only ones that will work with this case are the same ones that work with all cases and just plug in and have a wire to the battery.

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Last summer when i went hiking i put my iphone in a foodsaver bag and sealed it just in case :) I didnt care about my cheapo blutooth headset if it got wet

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I was at my brothers place and I dropped my iPhone and it landed on a hard ceramic tile floor. It is 100% fine with this Otter Box case. WOW my heart dropped when it fell, and it's perfect. This case is well worth it.

Barbs, my only solution for you would be to get the anti-glare film. I've owned several cases now that have integrated touch screens like the Otterbox, and I had the crystal clear screen protector, and they all bubbled up, had oild slicks etc. Once I put the anti-glare, I have never had that problem, and like I said, I've owned many cases that had integrated touch screens. I now have th Ivyskin Quattro T4, and no problem at all. You'll thank me for this, trust me. No need to use palm grease, or any other wacky solutions. Get the anti-glare, install it, problems over !
I did this tip, and it works great!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.