Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 15: Nature

main.jpg

Hello, P52ers! This week is hopefully an easy one; we will get back into some more technique themes as we go along, but I tried to sprinkle in some less demanding topics throughout the year.

Nature is defined as “the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations.” It’s no secret that most of my own photography features nature in some way, and I often take a camera out when I am doing my daily walk with my dog. Don’t be discouraged if you live in an urban area, as there are surprisingly a lot of opportunities to find nature even in the city.

I am lucky enough to have a local park to walk through daily with Halley, and we are just beginning to get a lot of greenery and blooms.

2023-04-10_0003.jpg

Yesterday I made my first trip to my favorite local garden center, and while I didn’t buy a lot just yet, I always love to take my camera to photograph masses of flowers together that I just can’t achieve at my own house. If you don’t have a local garden center (even a big box store like Home Depot would be great for this), many famer’s markets are setting up shop now that we have moved into April (of course, this is highly variable based on your location and weather).

2023-04-10_0001.jpg

My family takes a trip to NYC almost once a year (it is where my husband and I lived when we were first married) and I unwittingly discovered after one of our recent trips that I tend to find all the flowers smack in the middle of the city. Even the midtown-Manhattan Apple Store has trees underground! You can easily find planters and parks even in the middle of any large city.

2023-04-10_0004.jpg

Not quite in the city, and not quite in the country? These images were both taken in a parking lot yesterday (I’ll try to get a pull back of them today, which I didn’t think to do yesterday).

2023-04-10_0002.jpg

I often like to highlight the juxtaposition of inside/outside, or you can even find murals that repeat a nature theme (as always, I’m pretty lax with interpretation - just be sure your photo is new please). If you happen to be at a natural history museum this week, I'll allow photos of skeletons and bones, all of which came from nature.

2023-04-10_0006.jpg

Feel free to show any extremes your own weather might experience this week. Rain and snow are definitely a large part of nature.

2023-04-10_0007.jpg

And nature of course encompasses animals as well as plants. Be open to finding nature everywhere; my husband spotted the hawk in the upper right of this collage this weekend while we were at my son’s lacrosse game, and the 150-600mm lens I had mounted came in handy at that moment.

2023-04-10_0008.jpg

As always, excited to see what everyone finds this week.

2023-04-10_0005.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Oh, also, I took pullbacks this morning for my parking lot photos.

2023-04-10_0002.jpg

This is a good game of "what you see vs what I see." Walking along the trails/sidewalks, some of these trees are sort of off in the distance, but obviously when you get closer you can minimize all the distractions. I will say that when I took the original photos yesterday, the lot was largely empty since it was Sunday and this is a complex that is closed on Sundays, so it made it a bit easier, but also I shot upwards, which minimized some other building structures in the area.

2023-04-10_0010.jpg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
really pretty!

glad to see some non-plant examples, too, as of course I hyper-fixate on flowers.

😆 I know, so true! I'm trying to do different photos but sometime flowers are not only beautiful but easy to get
and the colours bring happiness and lift the mood when it's grey outside

Reactions: bondr006

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Great topic and will be a challenge for me. Not finding the subject, but transferring from camera to phone for posting with a camera not set up to do that (yet). Going to son's in CT and thanks to the airline and their add on fees, traveling light. Not even taking a laptop. $45 either checked bag or carry on each way. Economized with one large checked bag shared between myself and wife. No carry on for either also allowed to avoid the $15 each early boarding fee to assure we could find an overhead near the seat. My one allowed "under seat" bag is my normal camera case but with my camera, lens and everything else removed and putting in my wifes A6000 and kit telephoto. All the other empty compartments are filled with prescriptions, charging cables, batteries, and gifs for grand daughter. iPad does slide nicely into the back of the case. So much for discount airlines when their fees are added, but it is a direct flight.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Great topic and will be a challenge for me. Not finding the subject, but transferring from camera to phone for posting with a camera not set up to do that (yet). Going to son's in CT and thanks to the airline and their add on fees, traveling light. Not even taking a laptop. $45 either checked bag or carry on each way. Economized with one large checked bag shared between myself and wife. No carry on for either also allowed to avoid the $15 each early boarding fee to assure we could find an overhead near the seat. My one allowed "under seat" bag is my normal camera case but with my camera, lens and everything else removed and putting in my wifes A6000 and kit telephoto. All the other empty compartments are filled with prescriptions, charging cables, batteries, and gifs for grand daughter. iPad does slide nicely into the back of the case. So much for discount airlines when their fees are added, but it is a direct flight.
You can shoot as much as you want and post them all next week. 🙂 I hope you have a great trip. I lived in CT for eight years!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
  • Love

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
holy cow, so much in bloom already! We've got high 70s-80s the next couple of days which will help here too.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.