Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 17: Texture

main.jpg

This week you will have to hunt a bit. We are going to be looking for ways to add and highlight texture in our images. I personally often shoot for softness most of the time, and seeking out texture is a bit more difficult for me. Still, it is in the difficult things where we grow.

2023-04-24_0001.jpg

To start, you will have to find subjects that are naturally textured; this does not exclude man-made items in anyway, but by and large we will focus on things that are visually tactile. Though we can work to bring out natural texture through lighting and editing, it’s difficult to add in texture where there isn’t any to start. Strong directional light across your subject is one the best ways to highlight textures, allowing a play of shadow and light. You can also look for layers like we did in Week 5; although layers may not inherently be textured, they are a great starting point for looking for textures. Buildings and architecture are a great way to get started if you are looking for something different than nature, as well as many around the house items like books, tools, and furniture.

2023-04-24_0003.jpg

While this week is fairly self-explanatory, here are a couple of things to consider when editing (if you do so); keep in mind, often less is more, and we still want to end up with a pleasing image at the end, so don’t go overboard with any of these techniques. Work in small increments and aim to still have a feeling of naturalness within the finished image. Note that I edit in Lightroom Classic, so if you use a different editing program, your sliders may be named something different.

• Pull the contrast slider up. This will increase the micro contrast between shadows and highlights and give your image a more three dimensional aspect, highlighting textures within the image
  • Increase the texture slider. It will increase medium sized details as a bit of a sharpening tool
  • Increase the clarity slider. Clarity also works within the midtone contrast, and also affects luminance and saturation, so too much of this will start to introduce some wonky effects
  • Pull up the Dehaze slider. I personally don’t use the dehaze function a lot, but depending on the scene you have in your image, it may help you to enhance textures just a bit more.

2023-04-24_0002.jpg

Keep in mind, textures also include soft things, and even wet things, although “wet” is not technically a texture. When approaching a softer image, think about how you can emphasize and convey softness vs hardness. How would your edit or lighting differ from a hard item or scene? Smooth is also a texture; is there a way you can showcase smoothness in an image?

2023-04-24_0004.jpg

2023-04-24_0006.jpg

2023-04-24_0005.jpg

This week is really mostly just about getting out with your camera and keeping your eyes open for textures in the world around you. It’s an observation week with a slight focus on editing, rather than honing a new skill. We will get back to some more techniques in May, so enjoy the relatively easy week.

2023-04-24_0007.jpg

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
This looks fun! I hope to start catching up this week. Work+COVID for me+root canal for my wife have combined to lay waste to the last few weeks. Bah. But hope to be out and about with a camera very soon!
We had an illness rattling around our house last month. Seems like everyone but me had 2 bouts with it. That just made me the caretaker!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2193169 View attachment 2193168 View attachment 2193167 Some textures here and there
The red casque has several: the black net, the scratches, the red part itself...

View attachment 2193191
Foggy bridge , slightly different from the one I posted in POTD.

You always go at this project with your whole heart. I love the forget me not image with the mix of textures and the repeating colors from the plant and sidewalk.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
This looks fun! I hope to start catching up this week. Work+COVID for me+root canal for my wife have combined to lay waste to the last few weeks. Bah. But hope to be out and about with a camera very soon!
None of that sounds fun, but happy to have you back and particpate where you are able!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Finally got around to finding some textures to share.

Son's Car Rooftop
View attachment 2193307

Lots of Textures
View attachment 2193306

Son's Skateboard
View attachment 2193308

Ben's Coat
View attachment 2193309

Sue's Garden Hat
View attachment 2193310

Dish Towel
View attachment 2193312

View attachment 2193311

CC Always Welcome:)

One more set for today. This textures week is actually fun.:)

View attachment 2193413

View attachment 2193411

View attachment 2193416

View attachment 2193407

View attachment 2193415

These next two are the same subject from different angles and lighting.
View attachment 2193408

View attachment 2193409

Same with these two.
View attachment 2193414

View attachment 2193412

CC Always Welcome:)

You seem surprised that this is a fun week! 😂 It's also interesting how you are using a fill the frame technique with all of them. Combining techniques!

I love the roof raindrops and the raspberries images the most of these. 🙂

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and katbel

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
The second one is really interesting. I'm having trouble making out that it's a roof, but I do really love the shadow and light play highlighting the texture and it's a great abstract kind of feel, so it really doesn't matter what it is.

Intentionally framed to be "mysterious." With the setting sun hitting the wharf's roof obliquely, I was wondering if I could zoom in an make the picture feel like sand dunes, or some other kind of more-natural place.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.