Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 29: Center Composition

2023-07-17_0001.jpg

I’m going to start this week by admitting that I really don’t like center composition. I had a hard time shooting an example (so to make up for it I took three), and I didn’t easily find a lot of images in my archive that would fit the bill. I have trained myself to shoot for the rule of thirds, and often center comps feel boring to me. I do have a few cameras and lenses that require center composition, and I find myself working around that limitation often. Most of my Lensbaby lenses focus from the center but I’ve figured out ways to tilt and hold the camera to work around that. Otherwise I do a lot of cropping in post to move my subject where I’d prefer it.

2023-07-17_0005.jpg

Still, there are merits to center compositions, and it’s a worthwhile exercise to practice it every once in a while. Center comps work well for scenarios where there is a good framing element, or some other location that offers symmetry. Leading lines is another great technique to use in conjunction with centering your subjects, as it directs the eye where needed.

2023-07-17_0003.jpg

2023-07-17_0004.jpg

Other times you might use the center focal point, but frame your image in such a way that it feels weighted to a third line. In the two images below, although the center of the frame of each is where the eye is drawn for focus, the bottom of the images are more visually weighted, grounding the composition and giving the illusion of a ROT composition even when the desired focus is right in the middle of the frame.

2023-07-17_0002.jpg

Above all, using a center composition should help further the story of your image, and not be used just because you don’t know how to toggle to a different focal point. Use centering to make your story more dynamic and less static.

2023-07-17_0006.jpg

I’m going to work on this myself this week, even if it does end up just being with my zinnias!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I have to agree with @mollyc : it's so difficult to center the subject now
after months of training for not doing it!
Cropping and vignetting are helping though

Reactions: bondr006

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Went for a road trip the other night to Los Urriatas. It is a small town facing the Mar Menor Lagoon. We went off the basis of a recommendation from Instagram - The lesson is do your own research. It was a little anti-climactic let’s say.

The water however was full of Fried Egg Jellyfish. Apparently a very very mild stinging variety but urgh…. See for yourself.

IMG_0516.jpeg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
You guys are all going gangbusters again this week! I love it! Sorry I don't have the bandwidth for individual comments today; my daughter has been home from work the past two days sick, which means that she had to go to the doctor unexpectedly yesterday and now I have to drive my son to and from work while she's sick because normally they go together. She's getting better, but just threw a wrench in my schedule this week.

I really love all the participation every week. ❤️

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
This is a variation of my POTD today. Both were taken with the center point, but I cropped the POTD in post. I admit I prefer the ROT composition of the other image, but that's not this week's theme.

Web_July_20_2023_003.jpg

Also this one. I always feel like this should be a fun spot to photograph, but the water is usually a weird murky green. Today was no different, so I shot it in BW. It's not 100% symmetrical which I think is what always throws me off on the composition.

Web_July_20_2023_002.jpg

CSKK

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2023
I've had so many ideas for center composition but this week has been insanely busy. I'm hoping to have time in the next few days to shoot. I took this picture today and wondered if it would be considered center composition? I know she is in the middle but she is also in the bottom third of the frame. Figured I'd learn something today to make up for not shooting earlier this week. 😂

Week 29 Center Composition copy.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I've had so many ideas for center composition but this week has been insanely busy. I'm hoping to have time in the next few days to shoot. I took this picture today and wondered if it would be considered center composition? I know she is in the middle but she is also in the bottom third of the frame. Figured I'd learn something today to make up for not shooting earlier this week. 😂

View attachment 2235242
No reason not to crop out the top pane, then it really would be center comp regardless of how you look at it.

Reactions: ffff14P and CSKK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.