Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
2023-07-23 ~ _R5_2803.jpg

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
View attachment 2236229
This picture was shot more or less by testing the close up capabilities of my only lens for the A7iV (I am currently trying to figure out if I need a macro for newborn photography 😅).

View attachment 2236228

This would be my personal favorite of this weeks topic. Lots of blurry things (cat on the right, left some candles) but the sun was shining through the window on the one flower - did not had to change the decoration 🤣
Macro lenses typically are slow to focus as they are more precise and have a longish focal length. For a wriggly squirmy newborn, it will likely be frustrating. A 24-70 f2.8 is all you need so you have fast auto focus, image stabilisation (shooting from the hip) being close enough to grab the little one if needed and far enough away to avoid sticky fingers reaching out.

cogi0490

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Germany
Macro lenses typically are slow to focus as they are more precise and have a longish focal length. For a wriggly squirmy newborn, it will likely be frustrating. A 24-70 f2.8 is all you need so you have fast auto focus, image stabilisation (shooting from the hip) being close enough to grab the little one if needed and far enough away to avoid sticky fingers reaching out.
Thanks a lot for your input! I appreciate it and will „just“ use my 24-70. Thanks to you my GAS is cooled down again 😂👍

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks a lot for your input! I appreciate it and will „just“ use my 24-70. Thanks to you my GAS is cooled down again 😂👍
Sorry, speaking from experience there. If you want me to edit my response to help fuel your GAS, I can do that too…. Just say the word. 🤣 I mean the 100mm Laowa macro seems a winner - just picked one up for my Z6 for £280 used.

I mean, just saying, but a 70-200 wouldn’t be a bad choice, give some reach and some nice background blur at the long end. Just as a thought. The 70-200 would also be great to hold down the baby’s nappy/diaper in the wind while taking a “pit stop”….

EDIT: Sorry, congratulations. I hope all goes well with the arrival (little one, not a new lens)

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
A lot of newborn photographers do use a true macro lens for closeups of eyelashes and baby toes. If macro isn't your jam ordinarily, I wouldn't worry about throwing down a grand or more on a macro lens, but they are pretty versatile. I have shot newborns before, although not in many years. I was probably using a 35mm or 24-70mm.

You might consider a 50mm 1.8 and extension tubes as a substitute. If you don't have a 50mm it's great for small kids indoors, usually a pretty good focal length and the wide aperture helps let in more light (although also makes the depth of field a lot more shallow). But paired with some extension tubes, which can be had for around $40-50, you can come close to approximating a 100mm macro look.

PS - congratulations ❤️

cogi0490

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Germany
Sorry, speaking from experience there. If you want me to edit my response to help fuel your GAS, I can do that too…. Just say the word. 🤣 I mean the 100mm Laowa macro seems a winner - just picked one up for my Z6 for £280 used.

I mean, just saying, but a 70-200 wouldn’t be a bad choice, give some reach and some nice background blur at the long end. Just as a thought. The 70-200 would also be great to hold down the baby’s nappy/diaper in the wind while taking a “pit stop”….

EDIT: Sorry, congratulations. I hope all goes well with the arrival (little one, not a new lens)
😂😂😂😂😂 Thank you! A 70-200 is also on my wishlist for ages - at least I waited until I switched from APSC to full frame. Probably I have to take your proposal again into account 😜
A lot of newborn photographers do use a true macro lens for closeups of eyelashes and baby toes. If macro isn't your jam ordinarily, I wouldn't worry about throwing down a grand or more on a macro lens, but they are pretty versatile. I have shot newborns before, although not in many years. I was probably using a 35mm or 24-70mm.

You might consider a 50mm 1.8 and extension tubes as a substitute. If you don't have a 50mm it's great for small kids indoors, usually a pretty good focal length and the wide aperture helps let in more light (although also makes the depth of field a lot more shallow). But paired with some extension tubes, which can be had for around $40-50, you can come close to approximating a 100mm macro look.

PS - congratulations ❤️
Thank you!
50mm is again on my wishlist 😅 Last week I sold the last lens of my APSC collection - so time to start a new collection 😹 And thank you also for the hint of extension tubes. Never heard of that before.

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
This was actually a small side project of mine stuffed into that week’s theme. The city of Oulu in Northern Finland is known for its cycling paths, which are used all year round. That was something, I wanted to capture photographically. In most of my photos, I used the markings on the ground as lines leading the viewer’s eye into the center of the image – therefore one could argue that these photos are also center composition. I would love to come back in wintertime to see how these cycling paths covered in snow.

P52_WEEK29_CENTERCOMPOSITION_IMG_7174_FF.jpg

P52_WEEK29ALT_CENTERCOMPOSITION_IMG_6968_FF.jpg

P52_WEEK29ALT_CENTERCOMPOSITION_IMG_7065_FF.jpg

P52_WEEK29ALT_CENTERCOMPOSITION_IMG_7134_FF.jpg

P52_WEEK29ALT_CENTERCOMPOSITION_IMG_7423_FF.jpg

P52_WEEK29ALT_CENTERCOMPOSITION_IMG_8027_FF.jpg

P52_WEEK29ALT_CENTERCOMPOSITION_IMG_8203_FF.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.