Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 30: Around the House

main.jpg

Greetings, fair friends. This week we are going to take a closer look at memory keeping. Photography, at its heart, is all about capturing and preserving memories. Whether you are taking photos of your own life or a hired photographer capturing memories for someone else, the very act of taking a photograph of something immortalizes it (for as long as the image survives at least).

I have been photographing things since I was in high school, as editor of both my school newspaper and yearbook. In college I had collages of my friends and I hanging on the walls. Given the film era that I grew up in, I’d say I have a fair number of photographs throughout the years, but now, as a middle aged mother, I see there are distinct gaps in my photographic history.

2023-07-24_0002.jpg

I have no photos of my childhood bedroom, and I lived in that house from birth until graduating college. I have no photos from my bedroom window, overlooking the fields and forest outside. I have very distinct memories from all around my house, but few photos to show my own kids of where I came from, where I grew up.

So this week, I would like you to document things around your house. A forgotten nook, the way the light hits your kitchen in the early morning, your front door, your dresser top full of knick knacks. I want you to be on the lookout for things you will miss in 10 years when you live somewhere else, scenes that you can share with your children or friends about life right now. This is a similar challenge to the Everyday topic we did in January, but I want you to focus on life in and around just your house. You can shoot outside in your garden, and if you live in an apartment, even things like the lobby or elevator are good considerations to document.

2023-07-24_0004.jpg

2023-07-24_0001.jpg

Perhaps you can take a photo of your spouse or children cooking, a project you are working on, your workspace or a stack of favorite books. My intro photos seems fairly boring, but for me it is a big accomplishment because I have spent all summer (since mid-May) removing invasive liriope and replacing it with native plants. I finally just about finished this afternoon (I ran out of mulch so have to get a couple of extra bags) but the view down the driveway is now markedly different than it was this spring and I wanted to document it.

2023-07-24_0003.jpg

As with all weeks, if you have more intimate images that you don’t want to share due to privacy, that’s totally fine, just be sure to take those photos regardless and keep them for yourself.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 30: Around the House

View attachment 2236705

Greetings, fair friends. This week we are going to take a closer look at memory keeping. Photography, at its heart, is all about capturing and preserving memories. Whether you are taking photos of your own life or a hired photographer capturing memories for someone else, the very act of taking a photograph of something immortalizes it (for as long as the image survives at least).

I have been photographing things since I was in high school, as editor of both my school newspaper and yearbook. In college I had collages of my friends and I hanging on the walls. Given the film era that I grew up in, I’d say I have a fair number of photographs throughout the years, but now, as a middle aged mother, I see there are distinct gaps in my photographic history.

View attachment 2236702

I have no photos of my childhood bedroom, and I lived in that house from birth until graduating college. I have no photos from my bedroom window, overlooking the fields and forest outside. I have very distinct memories from all around my house, but few photos to show my own kids of where I came from, where I grew up.

So this week, I would like you to document things around your house. A forgotten nook, the way the light hits your kitchen in the early morning, your front door, your dresser top full of knick knacks. I want you to be on the lookout for things you will miss in 10 years when you live somewhere else, scenes that you can share with your children or friends about life right now. This is a similar challenge to the Everyday topic we did in January, but I want you to focus on life in and around just your house. You can shoot outside in your garden, and if you live in an apartment, even things like the lobby or elevator are good considerations to document.

View attachment 2236704

View attachment 2236701

Perhaps you can take a photo of your spouse or children cooking, a project you are working on, your workspace or a stack of favorite books. My intro photos seems fairly boring, but for me it is a big accomplishment because I have spent all summer (since mid-May) removing invasive liriope and replacing it with native plants. I finally just about finished this afternoon (I ran out of mulch so have to get a couple of extra bags) but the view down the driveway is now markedly different than it was this spring and I wanted to document it.

View attachment 2236703

As with all weeks, if you have more intimate images that you don’t want to share due to privacy, that’s totally fine, just be sure to take those photos regardless and keep them for yourself.
The first red chair image is lovely

• Love
Reactions: harshar and mollyc

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
P52 Around T.H. July - 1.jpeg

A skylight draped with a curtain to keep the heat out, but not the light
I asked someone to put a shade that was possible to open and close with a remote or similar. They asked me a fortune. So I came up with the curtain myself and my husband holding the ladder on the stairs ..because it's very high and dangerous being on the stairs but we made it.

Last edited:

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

Attachments

• IMG-7383.jpg
    IMG-7383.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-7463.jpg
    IMG-7463.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-8411.JPG
    IMG-8411.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 58

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
2023-07-27 ~ IMG_1511.jpg

Not my kitchen (rather, my wife's aunt's) though I did design it. To be clear, all the gorgeous window details and other bits of the space were already a part of the old kitchen; it was my job to clean up the space, update it, and to be sure not to detract from the pleasant feeling of repose.

The owner's happy with it, as am I. In London, not far from Kensington High Street.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
View attachment 2238401

Not my kitchen (rather, my wife's aunt's) though I did design it. To be clear, all the gorgeous window details and other bits of the space were already a part of the old kitchen; it was my job to clean up the space, update it, and to be sure not to detract from the pleasant feeling of repose.

The owner's happy with it, as am I. In London, not far from Kensington High Street.
Gorgeous kitchen and beautiful work! 🥰

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.