Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
While the earlier photos were sunny day, these are from the morning of the 25th. At 11:11PM on the 24th baseball size hail began pounding the building for about 30 minutes, followed by rain interspersed with "normal size" hail. Created quite a commotion that evening as sounded like bombs exploding as repetitively hit the building! Thank goodness took out optional full coverage on my rental, so no problem returning to Hertz. These are only a few of the dents as damage on both sides, small dent on hood, and several smaller on roof rear. Attempted to swap out at Hertz 20 miles away but their inventory was destroyed by same storm, so drove the planned 120 miles to the next hotel with crack in windshield (passenger side) and turned in at the Milan airport the next day before the return flight. Was told could turn in a Verona airport, but would have to find other transportation to Milan, or private company could replace the windshield but would take one or two days - so elected to drive. Other residents at the B&B were not as lucky as it was their private car, driving from Germany and the UK, and were contacting their insurance for claims repair. The German family in the VW were originally parked in the spaces seen behind me and the hail must have been soming from that angle with the front wall protecting me. Their friends, staying in another area were not as lucky as it apparently destroyed their Tesla, totally demolishing the glass roof!
Car - 2500px-1.jpg
Car - 2500px-4.jpg
Car - 2500px-3.jpg
Car - 2500px-5.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2238401

Not my kitchen (rather, my wife's aunt's) though I did design it. To be clear, all the gorgeous window details and other bits of the space were already a part of the old kitchen; it was my job to clean up the space, update it, and to be sure not to detract from the pleasant feeling of repose.

The owner's happy with it, as am I. In London, not far from Kensington High Street.
What a beautiful space!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
OK, just got home after a long flight, but where I was staying the 23rd and 24th. View attachment 2238453 View attachment 2238452 View attachment 2238451 View attachment 2238454

While the earlier photos were sunny day, these are from the morning of the 25th. At 11:11PM on the 24th baseball size hail began pounding the building for about 30 minutes, followed by rain interspersed with "normal size" hail. Created quite a commotion that evening as sounded like bombs exploding as repetitively hit the building! Thank goodness took out optional full coverage on my rental, so no problem returning to Hertz. These are only a few of the dents as damage on both sides, small dent on hood, and several smaller on roof rear. Attempted to swap out at Hertz 20 miles away but their inventory was destroyed by same storm, so drove the planned 120 miles to the next hotel with crack in windshield (passenger side) and turned in at the Milan airport the next day before the return flight. Was told could turn in a Verona airport, but would have to find other transportation to Milan, or private company could replace the windshield but would take one or two days - so elected to drive. Other residents at the B&B were not as lucky as it was their private car, driving from Germany and the UK, and were contacting their insurance for claims repair. The German family in the VW were originally parked in the spaces seen behind me and the hail must have been soming from that angle with the front wall protecting me. Their friends, staying in another area were not as lucky as it apparently destroyed their Tesla, totally demolishing the glass roof! View attachment 2238789 View attachment 2238790 View attachment 2238791 View attachment 2238792

What a way to end a vacation! Your house looked lovely and I'm glad that your rental car was insured.

Reactions: katbel and bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Web_July_29_2023_001-2.jpg

I know I already posted a photo of my desk this week (two actually). This is in my studio above the garage. It's a very multi-function room for me and I've changed the setup of it multiple times over the years. The studio is probably my favorite room in the house, but since getting a laptop I sometimes forget to come up here. When I was using an iMac I would come up here every day. I am trying to start some new routines and just want to document my time in this space.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
All week long noisy and stinky in the neighborhood. These are right outside my house. I would hate to be these guys. Working with blacktop in 97° F temperatures and high humidity doesn't sound too pleasant. View attachment 2238731

Fri., July 28, 2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2238725

View attachment 2238724

CC Always Welcome:)
You know it's funny, I've always enjoyed the smell because it reminds me of the family road trip vacations we'd take growing up in the summer, when road construction season is at its peak.
View attachment 2239083

I know I already posted a photo of my desk this week (two actually). This is in my studio above the garage. It's a very multi-function room for me and I've changed the setup of it multiple times over the years. The studio is probably my favorite room in the house, but since getting a laptop I sometimes forget to come up here. When I was using an iMac I would come up here every day. I am trying to start some new routines and just want to document my time in this space.
Nice! When do you get the laptop and what did you go with? Did dropping down from a 27" screen take some getting used to? I got Mrs Darmok the 15" MBA last month. She's been hinting at wanting a new one (she had an old Lenovo that was really showing its age), so naturally she hasn't even set it up yet. She'll run her iPad and iPhone into the ground too. :D

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
You know it's funny, I've always enjoyed the smell because it reminds me of the family road trip vacations we'd take growing up in the summer, when road construction season is at its peak.

Nice! When do you get the laptop and what did you go with? Did dropping down from a 27" screen take some getting used to? I got Mrs Darmok the 15" MBA last month. She's been hinting at wanting a new one (she had an old Lenovo that was really showing its age), so naturally she hasn't even set it up yet. She'll run her iPad and iPhone into the ground too. :D
I've had it a little over a year; I have a 16" M1 MPB. Surprisingly moving screen sizes has not been nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I have a Luna Display and planned to use the iMac as a second screen but it was a little kludgy and not worth the effort. I've even gotten quite adept with the trackpad and don't use my Wacom very often anymore either, although I am getting ready to do senior photos for my daughter in the next little bit and will probably use the Wacom for more refined portrait editing.

The only thing I don't like about it is on the rare times I travel it's kind of a pain to fit into a bag easily; the 15" one is probably a lot easier to manage. I don't have an iPad which would be ideal for travel of course, but I really don't like iPads and we don't travel enough for me to bother with an alternative. So I just jam it in a bag and deal with the weight of it. It's a really minor complaint and again, I travel so infrequently that it's not a real problem at all (and all our trips with it have been car trips anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.