Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 42: Trees

main.jpg

Here we are, squarely into the middle of October, so what better time than to get out and photograph trees! Hopefully most of you have at least some fall color, and many of you will be at peak color this week. Photographing the fall colors is not a necessity at all this week, of course. But as photographers, I suspect most of us have some fondness for autumn leaves.

2023-10-16_0004.jpg

2023-10-16_0003.jpg

There really aren’t any rules or guidelines for this week. I personally tend to photograph full trees in the forested walk I take daily, or, more recently, I’ve been seeking out the early turning leaves. But anything tree related is fair game this week, whether it’s bark, a lone tree on a hill or field, trees used as a silhouette at sunset, or even a fallen tree in the woods.

2023-10-16_0005.jpg

2023-10-16_0006.jpg

Also, keep in mind that if you have damp or dreary weather this week, that misty atmosphere can help to draw out and saturate colors naturally, and I personally love photographing trees in the rain; just be sure to keep your camera covered and safe if it’s a downpour. We had lovely mist on Saturday and I think the rest of the week is supposed to be sunny here, and I’m glad I went out with my camera when I did. (Okay, who am I kidding, I take a camera with me more often than not on my walks.)

2023-10-16_0002.jpg

I can’t wait to see what fall looks like in your corner of the world.

2023-10-16_0001.jpg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
.. caught these from an early-morning walk in the neighbourhood today -- wanted to add some of the forecasted rain to my views, but seems I was out & about a touch before it came our way.
Interesting: here it came all night long and keeps going. They call it double weather whammy. We could get as much as 300 mm of rain this week.
Good you were dry this morning!

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Interesting: here it came all night long and keeps going. They call it double weather whammy. We could get as much as 300 mm of rain this week.
Good you were dry this morning!
... guess I was in between "drops" when out earlier this morning.... but lots of rain since my return .. and on its way according to forecasts.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
An easy one, this week. So here we go. All taken within 5 minutes of my back door and all but one much closer than that.

P1030427.jpg

P1030428A.jpg

P1030430.jpg

PA171123.jpg

BTW Canada has 318 billion trees, each of them absorbs an average of 48 pounds of Carbon/tree/year. IOW just 9% of Canada's trees absorb 100% of Canada's man-made CO2. The remainder are more than sufficient to offset naturally emitted CO2. Which may or may not explain why our federal government is so he11bent determined to increase Carbon taxes to a level where they force our poorest families to choose between heating or eating. Sorry about the rant but inflation is a wicked enough thing without deliberately inflating the rate. And most parts of Canada see at least 6 months of winter temps.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
2023-10-17 ~ _R5_1742.jpg

"Inspired by Green-Wood’s centuries-old trees and its legacy as a place of remembrance, LaTocha has created The Remains of Winter. She cloaked the remains of two massive European beeches on Battle Hill in thin sheets of lead, a material that has been used for centuries in coffins to slow the decomposition of the body. By hand-forming this malleable metal onto the trees, LaTocha captures the unique details of their shapes and forms, even as they slowly degrade beneath the lead."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.