Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 48 | Color Theory

main.jpg

This week we are going to focus on color theory. I’ll be honest and admit that it is not one of my stronger suits when composing an image. I was not a mom who typically coordinated outfits for images (other than holiday photos) and I don’t do a lot of color changing in post. However, understanding and implementing color theory into your images can be a powerful compositional technique.

The primary types of color theory are Monochromatic, Complementary, Analogous, and Tertiary. I will link to an article with a few others that are more advanced if you would like more information. Color theory is based on the color wheel, a mechanism for blending primary and secondary colors and otherwise describing the relationship among different colors.

Monochromatic images have one dominant main color, with no support from a color outside the main color, other than perhaps a bit of neutral. However, you can have varying shades of one color throughout the image. Please keep in mind that for this week, monochromatic should include images with color and not just a black and white conversion (although if you find a natural scene that is shades of black and white that is acceptable).

2023-11-27_0001.jpg

Complementary images will have two main colors which are opposite of each other on the color wheel. Christmas features red and green together, which are complements. Many movies use an orange and teal color grading for specific mood effects (highlights are a warm orange shade and shadows will tend to a cool teal shade). Don’t be too fussed if you can’t find exact opposites; I often use orange and green together, which aren’t technically opposite, but are too far apart to be considered adjacent colors.

2023-11-27_0002.jpg

The last main group I will show is Analogous. Analogous colors are a group of three colors which are all adjacent to each other on the color wheel. Many sunsets/sunrises, autumn leaves, and water locations will feature analogous colors.

2023-11-27_0003.jpg

A bonus category for you to look for or set up is the rainbow category. Although not a true technical color theory grouping, who doesn’t like everything in rainbow order?

2023-11-27_0004.jpg

I find that canva.com offers a great tool where you can input a specific color and Canva will produce various color palettes for you. This is a great way to experiment to find color groups before you look for scenes to photograph. And this article from 500px talks a bit more about some of the more advanced theories if you would like to delve even further.

One last thing to consider is that if you have learned about color theory from a fine arts background, painters and artists use different color wheels. Painting is additive - you layer more and more color into white to create a deeper color. Photography, using a monitor comprised of light, is subtractive - we remove light to create darker colors. You may use either type of color wheel when composing your images, as many photographers will use color theory to set up their images before shooting.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
which theory are you using in this one?
The palette goes from white to grey/silver , that both mean: neutrality , calm, cold
The red is the contrast : warmth, energy, ardor. There is no green because the snow covers all the branches

As Christmas features red and green together, which are complements,
it does it as well with white and red. More than complements though, I would call it contrast.

Contrast is not in your list, true, but it belongs to color theory:
how colors mix, match, and contrast with one another.
I thought it was going to work because of that 🙂
My bad not explaining it right away but I was very short of time this morning.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
The palette goes from white to grey/silver , that both mean: neutrality , calm, cold
The red is the contrast : warmth, energy, ardor. There is no green because the snow covers all the branches

As Christmas features red and green together, which are complements,
it does it as well with white and red. More than complements though, I would call it contrast.

Contrast is not in your list, true, but it belongs to color theory:
how colors mix, match, and contrast with one another.
I thought it was going to work because of that 🙂
My bad not explaining it right away but I was very short of time this morning.
Contrast has to do with hue, and while that it is an important component of color, contrast is not inherently a "color theory." Red and white don't have any true relationship on the color wheel; it's one color (red) with the tint stripped away (white).

For this exercise the goal is to play with different specific colors and how they relate to each other, whether they are all in the same family, opposite on the color wheel, adjacent on the color wheel, or triadic (they would make a triangle on the wheel which I didn't cover here but is explained in the 500px article).

Reactions: katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I should explain a bit better. Technically contrast is about luminosity, how light or dark something is. This is why in black and white, we need a wide range of darks and lights to make the image look not all one tone.

What you have described as contrast, the white vs red is somewhat related to luminosity, if you were to convert your image to black and white, the red would be darker than the white, but what you have described as contrast is really hue, the red being full colored and the white being stripped of color. Hue is how much pigment there is in a color.

If I take your image and do a straight black and white conversion on it, you do not have a lot of contrast in it. We could add more contrast with some editing, but other than the part of the tree that is in full sun, I'd say overall it's a flat looking image in terms of contrast.

The contrast you see in the color image is due solely to the color, but red/white doesn't match a traditional color theory.

POTD November - 1 copy.jpg

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Haven't been out much this week due to other demands (home diy/repair projects) but got this from my back yard. accented the dark to take out the dimly lit tree limb distractions to get pure dark/light color contrast. Have an idea for for getting out and can blend with layers. Didn't want to take an old photograph, layer it and call it "new".
Moon Nov 2023-2500px-4.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.