Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Panic, the company behind the popular file management app Transmit for Mac, has plans to bring Transmit to iOS in the near future, taking advantage of several new features introduced with iOS 8. Currently in beta, the Transmit iOS app offers a look at some of the impressive things both developers and end users will be able to do with Apple's new operating system.

Aside from offering access to files on servers, Transmit also serves as a local file repository that can be accessed by other iOS apps.

transmit3.jpg
Transmit iOS's interface​
Transmit iOS also takes full advantage of the "Extensibility" options bundled into iOS 8, especially the "Share" extension that allows apps to easily share content with other apps. When installed, Transmit iOS can be accessed in any share sheet in iOS, and used to save any type of file directly to an FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, or Amazon S3 server or to local storage within the app.

For example, selecting Transmit iOS from the Share sheet in Safari lets an HTML page be saved to a server. Selecting Transmit iOS in an app like Evernote or Byword will allow a text file to be uploaded, while selecting the upload option in a photo app like Snapseed lets users save a photo directly to their personal servers using Transmit iOS.

transmit.jpg
Saving a photo from Snapseed directly to an FTP server using Transmit​
With share sheet support, uploading a file to a server via Transmit iOS is as easy as uploading a file to a cloud storage service like Dropbox, and it works in quite a few third-party apps in addition to pre-installed apps.

Transmit iOS also serves as a "Document Picker," which means that it can be used in supported apps to open files stored directly off of a server. For instance, a Pages document stored on a server can be opened directly in the Pages app on iOS through Transmit iOS, and any changes made in iOS to that document will be saved to the original file in Transmit iOS.

transmit2.jpg
Pages document on server with option to open in Pages app​
Transmit iOS, like Transmit for Mac, is a full featured file management app. Users can connect to multiple servers, save favorite servers, upload files using drag and drop, delete content, move content, duplicate files, and easily transition files between local storage and an available server. The app's local storage option also allows it to store documents from other apps directly on the device.

Transmit iOS includes support for Touch ID, allowing users to secure the app with a fingerprint. A passcode lock is also available on devices that do not have access to Touch ID, ensuring that all content remains safe and access to servers is restricted.

As can be seen in Transmit iOS, iOS 8 is going to enable a slew of useful features that have not previously been possible with iOS, and thus far, we're only scratching the surface of what developers are going to bring to the operating system with the new APIs.

Panic plans to release Transmit for iOS 8 after iOS 8 becomes available to the public on September 17.

Article Link: Panic's 'Transmit' File Management App Coming to iOS 8 With App Extension Support

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Looks cool, definitely on my list of things to download. As a jailbreaker, I've been enjoying file management apps for a long time myself, but this seems better suited for managing documents and servers and… not suited at all for modding the OS, but that's what iFile is for :)

P.S. Typo in article. "Users can connected multiple servers"

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
This is great news for me, Transmit is part of my everyday workflow. They also have a great product in Diet Coda, but this will make my iOS workflow more closely match my OS X workflow.

No better SFTP client.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
iOS 8 is out and Panic still haven't updated their Prompt app for iOS 7.

$7.99 is a pretty high price for a single-purpose, basic app like this.
Basically all they have to do is replace the keyboard with the iOS 7 one and that's that.

I won't be buying anything Panic ever again.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
iOS 8 is out and Panic still haven't updated their Prompt app for iOS 7.

$7.99 is a pretty high price for a single-purpose, basic app like this.
Basically all they have to do is replace the keyboard with the iOS 7 one and that's that.

I won't be buying anything Panic ever again.

So all you're upset about is a slightly differently rendered keyboard? They're working on Prompt 2. Which, yeah, you have to pay for.

$7.99 is not high for software well designed and useful to professionals. Nobody is going to make a living selling a 99cent FTP client.

Last edited:

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
It's coming. Everything is coming. Is it OUT yet, or no?

With the GM out, and Apple accepting submissions...3rd party App Updates should start springing up here and there. Can we reserve articles at this stage for Apps that have actually been released.

----------

Extensions are extremely convoluted. Why on earth would anyone use Transmit to find a Pages document and open it in Pages? In case the Pages document is saved in some directory somewhere that Pages can't open from? How did Pages save it there to begin with if it can't open from there?

What great use is that of Extensibility?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
So all you're upset about is a slightly differently rendered keyboard? They're working on Prompt 2. Which, yeah, you have to pay for.

$7.99 is not high for software well designed and useful to professionals. Nobody is going to make a living selling a 99cent FTP client.

Not to mention that iOS 8 isn't even out!

canadianmacguy

Contributor
Apr 8, 2002
San Diego
Looks great!

Been waiting for this for a while - can't wait to spend less than what I just spent on lunch on a high quality product that I know Panic produces. :)

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

Exactly. It's amazing that people aren't willing to pay more than 99 cents for an app that makes them much more productive or they get hours of enjoyment out of using like a game. People will pay $7 for a beer they drink in less than an hour but they won't pay that for an app they use every single day.

They need to realize that developers get very little per copy. Apple takes 30% of that 99 cents you pay. How many apps would you have to sell at 99 cents each to make enough to survive and make it worth your time to keep building that app and adding features, etc.

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
Exactly. It's amazing that people aren't willing to pay more than 99 cents for an app that makes them much more productive or they get hours of enjoyment out of using like a game. People will pay $7 for a beer they drink in less than an hour but they won't pay that for an app they use every single day.

They need to realize that developers get very little per copy. Apple takes 30% of that 99 cents you pay. How many apps would you have to sell at 99 cents each to make enough to survive and make it worth your time to keep building that app and adding features, etc.

This has been hashed to death in many forums. But, let's do the math anyway. As a developer, I get 70% of my sale so this comes to $5.593 per app if sold at $7.99. Average income in the US is about $35,000. To meet the avg US income I need to sell 35,000/5.593=5902 copies of an app. This is a very low number considering the number of iOS devices out there. Chances are they will sell far beyond that number.

I disagree that people are unwilling to spend that amount on apps, too.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
It is like Finder+

Could be really useful for transferring files from the server at work to my device. but in practice I think I will have handshake issues with the security we are running.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
[/COLOR]Extensions are extremely convoluted. Why on earth would anyone use Transmit to find a Pages document and open it in Pages? In case the Pages document is saved in some directory somewhere that Pages can't open from? How did Pages save it there to begin with if it can't open from there?

What great use is that of Extensibility?

You have misunderstood. Transmit started out as an FTP client and that's still what it is. The article is saying that you can open a Pages document, even though it is stored on an FTP site or other non-iCloud storage. Pages cannot do that.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
The ability to manage files across apps and locations has been the biggest missing functionality in iOS since its inception.

This is great news!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
You have misunderstood. Transmit started out as an FTP client and that's still what it is. The article is saying that you can open a Pages document, even though it is stored on an FTP site or other non-iCloud storage. Pages cannot do that.

It is even bigger than that though. Transmit will bring this functionality into Pages, using the extensibility point that is the iCloud Drive UI. Devs can write extensions to the iCloud Drive file picker to add their own services there. So OneDrive, Dropbox, and so on. Transmit will use this as well. I assume by making the local storage available (awesome), and by making your remote SFTP servers available (doubly awesome, if I am right).

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
This has been hashed to death in many forums. But, let's do the math anyway. As a developer, I get 70% of my sale so this comes to $5.593 per app if sold at $7.99. Average income in the US is about $35,000. To meet the avg US income I need to sell 35,000/5.593=5902 copies of an app. This is a very low number considering the number of iOS devices out there. Chances are they will sell far beyond that number.

Average developer makes more than $35k a year. That's only about $15 an hour which is crazy low for a developer salary. Additionally, most apps that run that price are developed by an entire group of people, not just a single guy. You have to pay everyones salary.

Here are some numbers from Forbes though they're likely lower as these assume that every one of the registered Apple developers makes an equal amount of apps and makes equal income per app.

2.png

3.png

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Average income in the US is about $35,000.

not true. and even if it were, thats a ridiculously low figure to aim for, especially as a tech worker. depending on region, $80,000+ for mid-level developer.

thats fine, but the reality is otherwise.

----------

It is even bigger than that though. Transmit will bring this functionality into Pages, using the extensibility point that is the iCloud Drive UI. Devs can write extensions to the iCloud Drive file picker to add their own services there. So OneDrive, Dropbox, and so on. Transmit will use this as well. I assume by making the local storage available (awesome), and by making your remote SFTP servers available (doubly awesome, if I am right).

yar! sounds about right....

iOS is going to be a huge boost.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Pretty excited about what developers are going to bring with iOS 8. I think that'll be a bigger change to the platform than the new iPhones will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.