Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I love Transmit, and I love how iOS8 will change the way we use the iPhone. TC is making our devices more productive and less closed as iStevey. New:apple:

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
An article highlighting something this awesome - the kind of functionality iOS has been screaming out for, showcasing the potential iOS 8 has and it gets less than 30 comments.

The 37th iPhone 6 case leak, hundreds of comments.

It does put this forum into perspective.

Panic have done what looks like a really nice job here. Looking forward to it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So is this why we still don't have Coda 2.5? The current version has some bugs that really annoy me. Back in May they wrote on their blog "Coda 2.5 is essentially complete." and some stuff about how they aren't sandboxing it anymore or selling through the App Store to make the process faster. Yet it still isn't out. They've probably been working on this instead because it's a first to market type opportunity. Shucks.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
This has been hashed to death in many forums. But, let's do the math anyway. As a developer, I get 70% of my sale so this comes to $5.593 per app if sold at $7.99. Average income in the US is about $35,000. To meet the avg US income I need to sell 35,000/5.593=5902 copies of an app. This is a very low number considering the number of iOS devices out there. Chances are they will sell far beyond that number.

I disagree that people are unwilling to spend that amount on apps, too.

Dont forget that Panic isnt "one developer" its a whole company. And they have to pay multiple developers a much better salary.

So is this why we still don't have Coda 2.5? The current version has some bugs that really annoy me. Back in May they wrote on their blog "Coda 2.5 is essentially complete." and some stuff about how they aren't sandboxing it anymore or selling through the App Store to make the process faster. Yet it still isn't out. They've probably been working on this instead because it's a first to market type opportunity. Shucks.

They worte yesterday I think that Coda 2.5 is near the finish line and was I think the last weeks in RC2. Lets hope its here soon I'm really waiting for it, true it has some bugs that need to go away.

I think they arent sandboxing it anymore because they cant sandbox it for something and they are not able to put it on the AppStore anymore and loosing iCloud storage functionality. They are now Developing i think Panic sync to give the same back in their own format but.. Yeah I really dont need that to be honest I didnt use iCloud syncing in Coda 2. I'd like them to just make the editor better than putting things like these syncing things in.

But on topic I'm really looking forward to Transmit on iOS. Thinking about it I'm kinda a panic fan because I use almost all of their products..

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
They need to realize that developers get very little per copy. Apple takes 30% of that 99 cents you pay. How many apps would you have to sell at 99 cents each to make enough to survive and make it worth your time to keep building that app and adding features, etc.
That's not and never should be the customer's concern.

As the customer if I see a price tag on a product, all that matters to me is the price on the tag. It's up to the retailer to make sure the product is appropriately priced with necessary margins to cover the costs of selling that product. If all the retailer gets in the end is a negligible amount of money, that's the retailer's problem, not mine as the customer.

The other problem I have with this argument is that it goes the other way as well: developers must acknowledge the cost of putting up software on sale on the App Store in the first place. Much like putting up products on store shelves doesn't come for free, developers have to recognize the value of visibility on the App Store, for which Apple takes a 30% cut per sale. Whether 30% is too much is beside the point: developers must abide by Apple's terms before selling anything on the App Store. If the developer agrees to the terms of the contract and knows beforehand that Apple takes a 30% cut per sale, it's the developer's sole fault if they're not making a living with a 99 cent app. That's the cold truth no matter how you look at it.

Finally, there's the culture of economics to consider. How much a customer is willing to pay for a product is defined by the market, as well as the qualities of the product. Whether we're talking about software or tangible goods, the same principle applies. Because developers have run with the 99 cent app idea for so long, customers have been trained to think apps are worth 99 cents. Any app with a higher price tag will have less downloads than a comparable 99 cent app. You can't blame customers for not willing to pay more if the market has trained customers to believe apps are worth 99 cents.

Last edited:

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
That's not and never should be the customer's concern.

Actually your reasoning only means you are a cheap customers that is not the target for this application, nothing more than that. IOS apps that cost way more than 99 cents have always existed (since the 49$ Omigraffle app one of the first third party apps ever released), it's just that the customers used to 99 cents app don't need and don't know them (neither they understand how software development works, otherwise they wouldn't say what you say). You line of thinking it's the same of the people that prefers windows machines or android smartphones because "they make the same things for a better price".

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
You line of thinking it's the same of the people that prefers windows machines or android smartphones because "they make the same things for a better price".
How so?

I have an iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I also use several of The Omni Group apps. I have no problem buying expensive apps. Way to interpret what I said in a personal way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.