Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
So we had to replace my son's iPhone 7 yesterday at the Apple Store b/c of a bad display. We signed him out of iCloud/Find my iPhone at the Apple Store, etc. and were given the replacement iPhone. I don't think we were asked to turn off Screen Time for his iPhone nor did we do it (my wife was the one who actually took it to the store).

Brought it home and saw it was on iOS 10.whatever (!). So, I plugged it into my Mac (under my user account...potential mistake, more later about that) and did a full restore to the latest OS which, of course, is iOS 12. Since it was my user account that I was logged into, at the top of iTunes, it said "pinkoos' iPhone" but I didn't think twice about that b/c I update/backup all of our family's iPhones on my Mac, using my user account and, if the name of the iPhone gets changed like that, I just go into the iPhone Settings->General->About and change the name of the iPhone to, for example, "pinkoos' son's iPhone." So, this is what I did with his replacement phone after I restored it from his most recent iCloud backup.

Now, the problem - when I went into Screen Time to turn it on and set him back up, it has two devices listed for him: "pinkoos' son's iPhone" (which, I believe, is the Screen Time that was activated under his old iPhone) and "pinkoos' iPhone" (which, is this replacement iPhone, ie, the one that is currently in use and the one that should be called, "pinkoos' son's iPhone).

So, now, under Screen Time (on my iPhone), if I go down to my sons and select this son, the next screen shows "All Devices" with a right arrowhead which, when tapped, opens up a dialog for me to choose either "All Devices," "pinkoos' iPhone," or "pinkoos' son's iPhone." If I pick "pinkoos' son's iPhone" there's no data b/c that was the old phone. So, I have to pick "pinkoos' iPhone" to show the correct Screen Time information (or, I can leave it on "All Devices").

These options are not ideal, of course, because it looks like I'm picking *my* iPhone (b/c of the device name) when I want to see my son's information. Worse yet, on my son's actual iPhone, if he wants to see his Screen Time information, it shows up as "pinkoos' iPhone." Again, not ideal.

What I tried:

-made sure that Settings->General->About shows the correct iPhone name (it does)
-erased his newly set up iPhone and set it up again, but this time there was no need to connect to my Mac since I had already restored it to fresh iOS 12. I used his iCloud backup to restore from, but the device naming issue persisted

The only other thing I can think of to try next is to back up his iPhone to *his* user account on my Mac, wipe the iPhone, do a fresh restore to iOS 12 (using my Mac but his user account) and then restore from his iCloud backup to see what happens. Hoping that if I restore using his account that his name will be associated with the iPhone. Only thing, though, is that may create the potential for his Screen Time to now show *3* devices:

"pinkoos' son's iPhone" (old iPhone)
"pinkoos' iPhone" (replacement iPhone that was connected to my user account when restoring)
"pinkoos' son's iPhone" (replacement iPhone that was restored using his account)

Anybody else run into something similar? Thanks

oldaker201

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
WV
ive asked this similar question in another thread several days ago
on my screen time it shows my ipad and my iphone, my iphone name is correct, but i had bought my old ipad from work and reset it and called it Mike iPad Air2, but screentime still thinks its name is MOldaker Work iPad

ive tried to reset several times, ive turned screen time off on both my phone and ipad, reenabled it, and still cannot get the name to change
I go to icloud and see devices and it has the correct names, for the life of me cant get screentime to sync the correct names

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
on my screen time it shows my ipad and my iphone, my iphone name is correct, but i had bought my old ipad from work and reset it and called it Mike iPad Air2, but screentime still thinks its name is MOldaker Work iPad

ive tried to reset several times, ive turned screen time off on both my phone and ipad, reenabled it, and still cannot get the name to change
I go to icloud and see devices and it has the correct names, for the life of me cant get screentime to sync the correct names
Glad to hear that, at least, I'm not the only one. This is such a weird issue.

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
On his phone if you go to Settings > Tap on the name of the account (should be his Apple ID, on the top) > Scroll to the bottom - what devices do you see for him? I'm guessing that there you will see his old iPhone and the new one. Delete the old one if it is there as it's gone.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked there yesterday and it only shows his new phone and it shows it as having the correct name, ie, "pinkoos' son's iPhone"
[doublepost=1537481181][/doublepost]Correction: It had showed his new iPhone (designated as "This iPhone 7") and the old one, so I had deleted the old one. But, in that setting screen, I don't believe it shows what names each device has been assigned.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I am also having this problem and it is driving me crazy...I see two phones..the new one is listed as iPhone and my old one is listed as bizzy045's iPhone. This is a pretty bad bug. I forgot to turn off screen time on my old device, but why would I even think to do that. Signing out of iCloud and erasing all contents and setting should fix that but it did not.

Reactions: jessebkr87

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
I am also having this problem and it is driving me crazy...I see two phones..the new one is listed as iPhone and my old one is listed as bizzy045's iPhone. This is a pretty bad bug. I forgot to turn off screen time on my old device, but why would I even think to do that. Signing out of iCloud and erasing all contents and setting should fix that but it did not.

I agree. I submitted it as a bug using the Feedback app for the betas yesterday even though it’s not limited to just the beta. Maybe/hopefully something gets done about it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Opposite problem here, iPhone name is wrong, but iPad name is right. I've reset screen time on both devices, and changed my iPhones name multiple times. No luck.

Reactions: leumacthanh

macman5

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Also having the same issue. Screen time is showing that my kid has 3 devices when he now only has two. No way to remove the older device. And under my screen time, my new iPhone XS Max shows up as just iPhone with no way to rename it.

Has anybody tried out the 12.1 beta 2 to see is it fixes any of these issues?

jarrodldavis

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
This happened to me too. I have an iPad and a new iPhone XS with Screen Time, and my old iPhone 8 that I erased before trading in is somehow stuck in Screen Time as “Jarrod’s iPhone”. I’ve tried turning off Screen Time on my XS and iPad and restarting multiple times, and all Screen Time settings and data were wiped except the device list, even with Share Across Devices turned off.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
Also having the same issue. Screen time is showing that my kid has 3 devices when he now only has two. No way to remove the older device. And under my screen time, my new iPhone XS Max shows up as just iPhone with no way to rename it.

Has anybody tried out the 12.1 beta 2 to see is it fixes any of these issues?

I will be trying the update when I get home from work in about an hour.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014

That didn't work for me. My 8 plus was running screen time before I reset it and then setup my XS. I have two phones listed in screen time even though the old device is completely gone form my account.

weycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2018
I confirm this bug too, device name changed is not updated (parent device or child device), it's really annoying as when you swipe your device, the old one is still there and the new device keep the old name.

EDIT: problem still present into the 12.1 Beta 4

Last edited:

leumacthanh

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
omg, i got the same problem as yours. i've just boght an new iPhone 7, pre-installed iOS 11, then i had to updated it to iOS 12. And now my Screen Time's havin' 2 devices "iPhone" - the old iOS 11 name and "Lều's iPhone" - currently using iOS 12 name. Guess this's the Apple System bugs, neither of us.

Reactions: pinkoos

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Glad I found this thread.

In screentime I have:
Paul’s iPad (good)
Paul’s iPhone (my current iPhone but it does not update screentime at all)
iPhone (I have no device called this but it does update the above phone’s screentime)!

Tried everything to no avail - complained on Twitter to Apple and eventually an Apple Tech called me. After an hour he could not fix the problem so a ticket was raised. I’m yet to hear back from apple despite me chasing them.

As an aside I have a second iPad that I use as a music server in the kitchen. It has NEVER EVER been signed into screentime but one of its apps that is ONLY installed on that device appears on all devices screentime - Go figure!

Screentime is buggy. Period.

Reactions: pinkoos

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
Glad I found this thread.

In screentime I have:
Paul’s iPad (good)
Paul’s iPhone (my current iPhone but it does not update screentime at all)
iPhone (I have no device called this but it does update the above phone’s screentime)!

Tried everything to no avail - complained on Twitter to Apple and eventually an Apple Tech called me. After an hour he could not fix the problem so a ticket was raised. I’m yet to hear back from apple despite me chasing them.

As an aside I have a second iPad that I use as a music server in the kitchen. It has NEVER EVER been signed into screentime but one of its apps that is ONLY installed on that device appears on all devices screentime - Go figure!

Screentime is buggy. Period.

Screen Time blows. If you hear anything good from Apple be sure to let us know!

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
I confirm this bug too, device name changed is not updated (parent device or child device), it's really annoying as when you swipe your device, the old one is still there and the new device keep the old name.

EDIT: problem still present into the 12.1 Beta 4

Any change with Beta 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.