Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Wait, so Apple is requiring users to use 6 digit passcodes in non-enterprise environments these days? How's it determined who has to use it and who doesn't? I set up my phone as new when I reverted to iOS 11 from the 12 beta and was allowed to use four digits.

There are different options available for passcodes

fcf9aeb07e86a02e3c4223cab900c9d1.png

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
This happened to me this evening, we came back from holiday and I'd left my iPad plugged in at home (we use it as the HomeKit bridge), I noticed the bridge was unresponsive, so I went to unlock the iPad and saw a notification that the OS had been updated to 12.something, it wasn't connected to Wifi any longer and when I went to tap in the passcode it's not recognised?

After some tinkering, I went to unlock my iPhone X and that too requested the passcode, which I haven't changed in months and it's not recognised either (incidentally the iPhone is MDM managed by my work) ?!

I'm a bit pissed off as I need my iPhone for work (RSA SecureID soft tokens), and I haven't had a chance to sync my holiday photos from it yet :(

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
This happened to me this evening, we came back from holiday and I'd left my iPad plugged in at home (we use it as the HomeKit bridge), I noticed the bridge was unresponsive, so I went to unlock the iPad and saw a notification that the OS had been updated to 12.something, it wasn't connected to Wifi any longer and when I went to tap in the passcode it's not recognised?

After some tinkering, I went to unlock my iPhone X and that too requested the passcode, which I haven't changed in months and it's not recognised either (incidentally the iPhone is MDM managed by my work) ?!

I'm a bit pissed off as I need my iPhone for work (RSA SecureID soft tokens), and I haven't had a chance to sync my holiday photos from it yet :(
The devices shouldn’t be able to install the update unless you confirm the install and enter your passcode. They will download it but every time this has happened to me, I needed to approve the installation and provide my passcode to intiate.

RobertoRobertsRobertson

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2019
Sorry but never had my pass code not accepted.

This just happened to me this morning on my Iphone 6s. Passcode was no longer taking. I've been using the same passcode for a while now.

This is clearly a problem on Apple's end and apparently this is an issue they have no incentive to fix. It forces users to regularly use its accompanying software and services and punishes those who do not. Not to mention, the solution being to delete any trace of what had caused the problem.

Sounds fishy and very much like Apple to coerce its users into their products.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
hello all,

I had my iPhone 6S on charge last night as it went flat. I went to use it this morning and it didn't accept the 6-digit passcode I'd been using for a couple of years. I know i didnt change the passcode.

Unfortunately my last backup was about 2 months ago. I dont want to lose my photos. Is there anyway of getting a copy of them?? ITunes wants me to enter passcode before it can access it therefore allowing Windows to access the storage.

Help pls.

Paul.

Call me skeptical. Doubt that it happened as OP described.

rsuk

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
Call me skeptical. Doubt that it happened as OP described.

Came across this thread after this happened to me on my XR this morning. Used the phone before going to bed and putting it on charge, first thing this morning passcode rejected. The same passcode works fine on my Apple Watch. Tried recover, still passcode (4 digit) rejected.

Clearly an issue that will probably get fixed when some Apple employees get hit by it and they actually investigate. Had to restore in the end and wasted several hours. Not impressed.

Reactions: inkhorn

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Happened to me on my IPhone XR running 12.4.7. I even had my passcode written down and it didn’t accept the passcode. Disappointed in Apple because I wasn’t fully backed up and lost some nice pics.

Reactions: inkhorn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.