Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
So recently I found out my local supermarket (it started a while ago, I was just not paying attention) can do a RFID transactions to one of my cards, so I put my credit & debit card into my apple wallet. I thought I did not have to fuss with unlocking it first, I even found a setting to allow this on the lock screen and I made sure it was enabled. Well ********, I tried it over half a dozen times and everytime it wanted me too fuss with unlocking the phone (phone has a home button). AND in several of those cases, the unlock took me b ack to the home sc reen and I'd have to ask the cashier to re-enable payment. Yes eventually I did get it to pay but to simply took way too long, way longer than just waving my debit card at the reader. Is there anything I can do to fix this (I suspect not, this is another software failure from the Cook $$$$ era of apple)?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Waving a credit card next to a card reader has made Apple Pay obsolete. There’s no reason to use Apple Pay if your stores accept a contactless credit card. The whole point of Apple Pay was convenience, but waving a credit card next to a reader makes Apple Pay seem prehistoric and clunky — as you experienced first hand.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
So recently I found out my local supermarket (it started a while ago, I was just not paying attention) can do a RFID transactions to one of my cards, so I put my credit & debit card into my apple wallet. I thought I did not have to fuss with unlocking it first, I even found a setting to allow this on the lock screen and I made sure it was enabled. Well ********, I tried it over half a dozen times and everytime it wanted me too fuss with unlocking the phone (phone has a home button). AND in several of those cases, the unlock took me b ack to the home sc reen and I'd have to ask the cashier to re-enable payment. Yes eventually I did get it to pay but to simply took way too long, way longer than just waving my debit card at the reader. Is there anything I can do to fix this (I suspect not, this is another software failure from the Cook $$$$ era of apple)?

From when I last had an iPhone with a Home button.... rest Thumb on the Home Button, move your iPhone to the reader and Apple Pay gets activated automatically and authorised as your thumb is already on the Home button. That's it.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Waving a credit card next to a card reader has made Apple Pay obsolete. There’s no reason to use Apple Pay if your stores accept a contactless credit card. The whole point of Apple Pay was convenience, but waving a credit card next to a reader makes Apple Pay seem prehistoric and clunky — as you experienced first hand.

No one can use your cards without knowing your passcode or authorising via Touch/Face ID. Anyone can use your contactless cards if they are stolen.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
But at the same time, it is inconvenient to carry a bunch of random cards and frantically flip them one by one in cashier if not prepared beforehand. Tho same can be said for iPhone, it is slightly smarter (auto-switch to the card terminal wants in some cases).

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021

Lol, this is ridiculous. Apple Pay eliminates having to carry cards around with you, which was the sole reason it came to be in the first place. And clunky? How is it clunky? If anything it's way more elegant than using a credit card.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021

On more modern phones you can double click the side button and it will open up Apple Pay. Not sure if that works with phones with a home button but worth a try.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
On more modern phones you can double click the side button and it will open up Apple Pay. Not sure if that works with phones with a home button but worth a try.
^This. That is what I was going to mention. I've always used double-click of the power button for this. That's what the Apple Pay instructions say to do anyway.

EDIT: With phones using Touch ID, you'd double click the home button. And AFAIK, devices with a home button but no Touch ID do not work for Apple Pay at all.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Lol, this is ridiculous. Apple Pay eliminates having to carry cards around with you, which was the sole reason it came to be in the first place. And clunky? How is it clunky? If anything it's way more elegant than using a credit card.
Absolutely. I have been using Apple Pay for much more than a year, effortlessly. When I got the 15 Pro Max I did not immediately set up the wallet for Apple Pay so I had to use credit cards. Using credit cards was hugely less convenient.The OP just needs to figure out usage of his device; and no doubt much older iPhones will be much slower..

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

Erm, no? We’ve had contactless credit card payment everywhere for a long time but only got Apple Pay a few years ago.

Apple Pay is a lot better. First of all, the NFC on an iPhone is much stronger and faster then on a credit card. Second, more importantly, I don’t have to carry my credit cards.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Well, that's just not true. I get a lot more convenience out of using Apple Pay on my watch. It's way faster than digging out a physical card, and I can even buy a drink when I'm out running and don't have my wallet on me. Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean it's not useful to others.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Apple's implementation of Apple Pay rocks. Your statement that "this is another software failure from the Cook $$$$ era of apple" just says really bad things about you.

And FYI using your cc allows vendors to clone your card, a huge security hole that ApplePay fixes by transferring a token number for the purchase, no cc info.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Fair enough, but still a failure for the fruit (IMO).
It kinda sounds like you just don't know how to use it. When you bring up the Apple Pay screen, you don't have to press the home button to authenticate, you just rest your thumb on the button. If you just leave your thumb on there while you tap, it should work with no issues (barring hardware failure on your end or on payment terminal).

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
You should have no problem if you double tap the home button and it activates Apple Pay, or that you first tap your phone to the reader, hold it there, and put your finger on the fingerprint reader. There is zero need to get beyond the Lock Screen, but obviously you need to authenticate (unless you were using Express Transit in XS iPhones and later, and that’s with transit not regular terminals).

I’ve not had a home button iPhone, only FaceID, but in my experience Apple Pay has never failed as long as I activated it first and made sure my face was in view. So zero problems for me besides the few times the reader was not working.

kmm333

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Cards are an extra thing to carry and are less secure. Also, FaceID makes it super simple - OP is using an older phone with TouchID.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
AppleWatch makes it even easier: Double push the side button to activate ApplePay, tap watch face to terminal, wait 1 second for the acknowledgement beep, walk out with your purchase. No phone or cards to fumble with. Mewling about how ApplePay doesn't work says more about not knowing how to use it than anything wrong with ApplePay/NFC device payments.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Using credit cards was hugely less convenient.

Unfortunately Walmart, where around 95% of my grocery shopping occurs, obstinately refuses to allow Apple Pay. You want to pay there, it's cash or inserting your chip card. OR, what Walmart would actually prefer you to use - Walmart Pay.

Walmart Pay, which involves unlocking the phone, opening the Walmart app and then tapping on two buttons to get to Walmart Pay and then scanning a QR code is 'hugely less convenient' than actually using a credit/debit card.

Incidentally, Walmart also does not allow tap to pay with a card.

That leaves the other 5 percent. Fry's (which is Kroger in Arizona) also steadfastly refuses to accept Apple Pay. And they don't accept tap to pay either. Fry's is actually closer to me than Walmart.

Safeway/Albertsons DOES accept Apple Pay but they are out of my way.

Oh, and Home Depot, which is the closest hardware store? No Apple Pay, no tap to pay.

Apple Pay is convenient - if the vendor actually accepts it.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The Ridge Wallet is convenient for me. Sits in a side pocket of my pants/shorts. I carry only the cards necessary and the rest reside on my phone in the Apple Wallet.

2023-10-18 19.16.45.jpg 2023-10-18 19.17.32.jpg

If Apple Pay IS available though I usually do use that. Either way, they both have the same convenience.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Unfortunately Walmart, where around 95%of my grocery shopping occurs, obstinately refuses to allow Apple Pay. You want to pay there, it's cash or inserting your chip card. OR, what Walmart would actually prefer you to use - Walmart Pay.

Walmart Pay, which involves unlocking the phone, opening the Walmart app and then tapping on two buttons to get to Walmart Pay and then scanning a QR code is 'hugely less convenient' than actually using a credit/debit card.

Incidentally, Walmart also does not allow tap to pay with a card.

That leaves the other 5 percent. Fry's (which is Kroger in Arizona) also steadfastly refuses to accept Apple Pay. And they don't accept tap to pay either. Fry's is actually closer to me than Walmart.

Safeway/Albertsons DOES accept Apple Pay but they are out of my way.

Oh, and Home Depot, which is the closest hardware store? No Apple Pay, no tap to pay.

Apple Pay is convenient - if the vendor actually accepts it.
I remember getting annoyed at Walmart refusing to do proper contactless pay of any kind back when I lived in the US. In the end, all it did was push me to shop elsewhere. One time I had a full trolley of groceries, but realised I had forgotten my wallet. I was like "no big deal, I'll pay with my watch" but then they reminded me they didn't take Apple Pay so I just abandoned the cart, walked out, and got the same groceries somewhere else.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I remember getting annoyed at Walmart refusing to do proper contactless pay of any kind back when I lived in the US. In the end, all it did was push me to shop elsewhere. One time I had a full trolley of groceries, but realised I had forgotten my wallet. I was like "no big deal, I'll pay with my watch" but then they reminded me they didn't take Apple Pay so I just abandoned the cart, walked out, and got the same groceries somewhere else.
If I had the financial ability I'd be shopping in places other than those I mentioned. But I do not. And Walmart is conveniently located at the intersection we take to either get on or off the freeway. So, coming or going it's just easier (and cheaper) to shop there.

I will say this though - I went to use Walmart Pay at one point and it was not working. The cashier was doing something, so I asked. Her exact words to me were "We do not accept Walmart Pay".

Really? Walmart does not accept Walmart Pay, its own financial instrument? SMH! I pulled out my debit card and paid that way.

But, that incident was the absolute LAST time I EVER used an actual cashier at Walmart. I always go to the self-checkout now. I refuse to contribute to the continued employment of stupid people.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Not sure if I get it. I double tap the side button, choose the credit card I want to use, faceid happens immediately, I walk away...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not sure if I get it. I double tap the side button, choose the credit card I want to use, faceid happens immediately, I walk away...
OP has an iPhone with a home button. You don't tap the side button for Apple Pay with iPhones that have a home button. You double-click the home button.

But the home button has to have Touch ID, iPhones without Touch ID are not capable of Apple Pay. And OP has yet to clarify the actual iPhone they have (aside from saying it has a home button).

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
If I had the financial ability I'd be shopping in places other than those I mentioned. But I do not. And Walmart is conveniently located at the intersection we take to either get on or off the freeway. So, coming or going it's just easier (and cheaper) to shop there.

I will say this though - I went to use Walmart Pay at one point and it was not working. The cashier was doing something, so I asked. Her exact words to me were "We do not accept Walmart Pay".

Really? Walmart does not accept Walmart Pay, its own financial instrument? SMH! I pulled out my debit card and paid that way.

But, that incident was the absolute LAST time I EVER used an actual cashier at Walmart. I always go to the self-checkout now. I refuse to contribute to the continued employment of stupid people.
Fair enough. Our other supermarkets (Giant, Weis, Aldi) were fortunately not too much more expensive, at least for what we used to buy, but I can appreciate that what's affordable to me might not be affordable to everyone else. Wild that they didn't accept their own payment system though. And yeah, same, self-checkout whenever possible. I'll often wait longer to use a self-checkout machine even if cashier-operated ones are available.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wild that they didn't accept their own payment system though.
LOL! I believe that was intentional. It was an employee who very much had a 'don't bother me' attitude and at that time the cashiers had to press a couple buttons so the QR code would show up on the terminal. They were just acting stupid because they didn't want to be bothered.

Or they didn't know, but were allowed to be a cashier without knowing. Take your pick at which one is worse. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.