Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
OP has an iPhone with a home button. You don't tap the side button for Apple Pay with iPhones that have a home button. You double-click the home button.

But the home button has to have Touch ID, iPhones without Touch ID are not capable of Apple Pay. And OP has yet to clarify the actual iPhone they have (aside from saying it has a home button).
Ohhh, got it. Thanks -

Reactions: eyoungren

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
A lot of vendors outside of Scotland/Northern Ireland refuse their notes due to unfamiliarity of them and the risk of them being counterfeit. That was the policy back in the 90’s when I was a teen working in shops. They are legal tender, but businesses have the right to refuse them.

I know mate, I lived in the UK for several years before moving on...
I've been caught out trying to pay with Scottish/NI notes outside of Scotland/NI...you'd think I'd learned my lesson after a few interesting "encounters"...but nope!

All the more reason to only use Apple pay or contactless payments...

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
So I tried out the double tap as suggested, it seemed to work fine in my home. BUT it was a mess trying to do the same thing at a RFD reader at my supermarket. The double tap seemed to always just bring up my home screen, not go into "Pay mode." Tried several times, finally just swiped my card which worked on the first try. Think this is mostly on me in a way, I am kinda crippled and need a cane at a minimum, plus I have essential tremors. Possible I was hitting the button 1 or 3 times while shaking a bit (I take meds for it, it definitely calms it down but does not totally eliminate it).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So I tried out the double tap as suggested, it seemed to work fine in my home. BUT it was a mess trying to do the same thing at a RFD reader at my supermarket. The double tap seemed to always just bring up my home screen, not go into "Pay mode." Tried several times, finally just swiped my card which worked on the first try. Think this is mostly on me in a way, I am kinda crippled and need a cane at a minimum, plus I have essential tremors. Possible I was hitting the button 1 or 3 times while shaking a bit (I take meds for it, it definitely calms it down but does not totally eliminate it).
It has to be a quick double click. If you wait a split-second then the phone just turns on the screen and your next click registers your finger and then dumps you at the home screen.

Also, the phone needs to be on the lockscreen for this to work. Best if it's actually off before starting. I usually hold my 6s Plus in my left hand and double click with my right thumb. But I am also not in your situation.

You could try changing the home button click speed. That's in the Settings app, under Accessibility>Home Button. You have three speeds to choose from. You could also experiment with turning off 'Rest Finger to Open'. That's in the same place and will stop the device from unlocking just from putting your finger/thumb on the home button.

PS. Lots of respect to you for your continued efforts in trying to get this to work. 🙏

Reactions: paulcons

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You double tap by pressing the home button twice within 1 second & it’ll unlock your wallet with your card ready to be scanned. I did this for years with a 6S and never had a problem… other than whenever the phone was wet and I had to type in my password as Touch ID wouldn’t read my fingerprint.

It’s even easier now with my iPhone 13 and Face ID.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
You’ll get used to it. Is muscle memory and rhythm. Even if you have tremors and such I think is more a thing in your head, you are getting anxious and panicking in the shop.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
It has to be a quick double click. If you wait a split-second then the phone just turns on the screen and your next click registers your finger and then dumps you at the home screen.

Also, the phone needs to be on the lockscreen for this to work. Best if it's actually off before starting. I usually hold my 6s Plus in my left hand and double click with my right thumb. But I am also not in your situation.

You could try changing the home button click speed. That's in the Settings app, under Accessibility>Home Button. You have three speeds to choose from. You could also experiment with turning off 'Rest Finger to Open'. That's in the same place and will stop the device from unlocking just from putting your finger/thumb on the home button.

PS. Lots of respect to you for your continued efforts in trying to get this to work. 🙏

Ah, good info, thanks I will try that next time I am in front of a reader! Rest Finger was off and I went with the "Slow" setting... AND I think it was not off & dark when I tried this. I have forefinger and thumb scanned but the thumb version sometimes doesn't work, I'll try and rescan of it. Not sure I'd say "panic" but maybe a bit of anxiety (to see it work).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah, good info, thanks I will try that next time I am in front of a reader! Rest Finger was off and I went with the "Slow" setting... AND I think it was not off & dark when I tried this. I have forefinger and thumb scanned but the thumb version sometimes doesn't work, I'll try and rescan of it. Not sure I'd say "panic" but maybe a bit of anxiety (to see it work).
The anxiety will disappear with practice. Then it just becomes annoyance when it doesn't work, LOL. :)

Just to be sure we are on the same page of the same book though, it's not a double tap. You have to actually click the button twice. I think we are speaking the same language, I just wanted to be sure.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
The anxiety will disappear with practice. Then it just becomes annoyance when it doesn't work, LOL. :)

Just to be sure we are on the same page of the same book though, it's not a double tap. You have to actually click the button twice. I think we are speaking the same language, I just wanted to be sure.
Indeed I got it's clicking twice! I rescanned my thumb, adjust click speed to "Slow," that should be easier to use then my forefinger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.