Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nofxrs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Porto Alegre - Brazil
Hi Guys,
making this post just to say that i Sucessfully upgraded my Mac Pro 4.1 for a Fully working Wifi+bluetooth last gen + Airdrop

Since i'm no expert, decided to post this to encourage other 'noobs' like me to do the Easy, and cheap, upgrade.

Parts used:
A) Fenvi T919 for Mac OS ~ $50
B) 9 pin Male to External USB A Male PC ~$2 (you need this cable to power the BT module)
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 22.48.07.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 22.49.29.png

Instructions: Just plug the original cable that comes with the fenvi on the 9 pin male to external usb - on a back usb 2.0 port.

After installing the PCI-e card, download the Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg - open Bluetooth Explorer, Search on the toolbar for "Tools" ---> "HCI Controller Selector" --> and change the Controller.

You're all set, easy like that, for just 52 bucks.

note: only thing i haven't tested yet is the Handoff..

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 21.23.41.png

Last edited:

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Very nice! Good to know there is an alternative to using adapters with newer Mac wifi/bluetooth cards at half the price. Although the pricier options are neater (everything is inside the case), this is definitely a viable option for those wishing to save some cash.

Reactions: nofxrs

nofxrs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Porto Alegre - Brazil
Very nice! Good to know there is an alternative to using adapters with newer Mac wifi/bluetooth cards at half the price. Although the pricier options are neater (everything is inside the case), this is definitely a viable option for those wishing to save some cash.

:)

Neater, yes
but i doubt the wifi signal strength isn't stronger on the versions with antennas outside..

Also, as i live in Brazil and our currency is so devaluated - price is important, and i think im being stolen paying +$150 on a osxwifi kit...

Reactions: AppleDrank

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
The only negative (besides aesthetics), is that you lose a PCIe slot. As I already have a USB 3.0 card, and a Angelbird Wings NVMe adapter, I would use my last slot for this wifi/bluetooth device.

You can piece together the osxwifi kit yourself on Ebay for about $52... and retain the PCIe slot in the process. If you choose to have the stuff shipped from outside countries (like China), you can save even more (the auctions I listed were all US based).

Last edited:

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
The only negative (besides aesthetics)
There is a much bigger one: quality. Fenvi is about half the card a true Broadcom is. From reliability to interference acceptance. The range of the Fenvi is about half the distance of any Apple product with comparable wireless (especially apparent with BT). I can pair my Studio 3s to my Fenvi and I get drops when I hit my kitchen (one floor, 2 walls). The audio garbles and often drops to where it's just unplayable. Pairing it to either my MBP, my iPad Pro 10.5" or my iPhone I can extend that distance well beyond 2 fold. YMMV but don't think for a second the quality is on par to that of a real Apple-supported Broadcom card. Throughput is also a massive issue. The Fenvi cannot drive my Apple Wireless Keyboard and my Xbox One controller. The controller, despite being no more than 4ft from my PC with no physical objects in the line of sight, has more than a .3 second delay and operates sporadically with lots of drops.

The biggest issue with going the Apple Broadcom way is finding a decent M.2 to PCI adapter. Most are cheap junk that will interfere with the smooth operation of the combo card. Sourcing a quality one is hard given the landscape.

But the fact that the Fenvi is pretty headache free to set up, it's a poor choice all things considered.

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Guys,
making this post just to say that i Sucessfully upgraded my Mac Pro 4.1 for a Fully working Wifi+bluetooth last gen + Airdrop

note: only thing i haven't tested yet is the Handoff..
Let us know if it works with Handoff and other continuity features.

How did you get the USB cable out the rear of the Mac Pro?

Were the 4 antennas a pain with all the other cables on the back of the Mac Pro? (I have 3 monitors and multiple USB 3.0 ports hooked up).

Last edited:

nofxrs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Porto Alegre - Brazil
There is a much bigger one: quality. Fenvi is about half the card a true Broadcom is. From reliability to interference acceptance. The range of the Fenvi is about half the distance of any Apple product with comparable wireless (especially apparent with BT). I can pair my Studio 3s to my Fenvi and I get drops when I hit my kitchen (one floor, 2 walls). The audio garbles and often drops to where it's just unplayable. Pairing it to either my MBP, my iPad Pro 10.5" or my iPhone I can extend that distance well beyond 2 fold. YMMV but don't think for a second the quality is on par to that of a real Apple-supported Broadcom card. Throughput is also a massive issue. The Fenvi cannot drive my Apple Wireless Keyboard and my Xbox One controller. The controller, despite being no more than 4ft from my PC with no physical objects in the line of sight, has more than a .3 second delay and operates sporadically with lots of drops.

The biggest issue with going the Apple Broadcom way is finding a decent M.2 to PCI adapter. Most are cheap junk that will interfere with the smooth operation of the combo card. Sourcing a quality one is hard given the landscape.

But the fact that the Fenvi is pretty headache free to set up, it's a poor choice all things considered.

as i understand fenvi is using a broadcom attached, since i can see the adapter on system info.
Weird - all my devices are working within the room (and a bathroom right next to room).

No problems so far.
[automerge]1595694430[/automerge]
Let us know if it works with Handoff and other continuity features.

How did you get the USB cable out the rear of the Mac Pro?

Were the 4 antennas a pain with all the other cables on the back of the Mac Pro? (I have 3 monitors and multiple USB 3.0 ports hooked up).

i'll test both later, and let u know..

for the moment i left without one slot cover, but next week 'll get one and drill a small hole - wide enough for the usb wire...

probably would be better if i switch the wifi card to the upper slot.. maybe gonna try that.
I need to buy also a 3.1 pcie card, and will have to figure it out the best way to get the usb cable out.

115931249_10223577175441844_1654088097155994230_n.jpg

[automerge]1595694552[/automerge]
If I had to guess, he left one of the slot covers off and routed through the empty hole.

;-)
Later will have a drill on a slot cover...
my tools are on the office and for few days are leave like that.
116341599_10223577174441819_2379247428817037161_n-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
Oh in case anyone hates clutter:

IMG_0258.jpeg

Preliminary but ideally, it would be cool to extend the wires and tuck the antenna along the sides. In any case, less plastic crap and we save 2g of weight lol
[automerge]1595721209[/automerge]
as i understand fenvi is using a broadcom attached, since i can see the adapter on system info.
Weird - all my devices are working within the room (and a bathroom right next to room).

I think you're a bit confused. Fenvi reverse engineered the BCM94360CD (read: same product ID and vendor ID), which is probably one of the oldest specs out there. They then added an additional antenna (the original 4360CD only comes with 3; 2 for WiFi and 1 for BT) and increased the throughput of the WiFi. Originally they achieved 1300Mbps but today it's further increased to 1750Mbps. Essentially, it communicates with macOS just like a real BCM94360CD, but it's all a Fenvi module. There is no real Broadcom anything on that card. macOS thinks it's a real BCRM card but it's a knockoff. Hence why performance is nowhere near more modern specs.

It's certainly easy to set up and does in fact work, but like I said, performance is nothing in comparison to a modern Mac or even mobile device (iPhone, iPad).

BT has limited range because it's more about efficiency and power management that raw throughput. Keeping the connection a room or two away is trivial. Even the Fenvi can do that. I encourage you to push the boundaries and compare it something like your iPhone. It will obviously depend on usage, but I have wireless headphones and want the farthest range I can. My house is 3 floors (5k/ft). If you live in a small apartment, even the Fenvi should be more than adequate. But it's something people should be aware of.

Last edited:

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
It's certainly easy to set up and does in fact work, but like I said, performance is nothing in comparison to a modern Mac or even mobile device (iPhone, iPad).

BT has limited range because it's more about efficiency and power management that raw throughput. Keeping the connection a room or two away is trivial. Even the Fenvi can do that.

My only interest in this device is to enable continuity/handoff features (I use ethernet for other networking) and run Catalina and probably Big Sur on my 2010 Mac Pro. If the BT range extends 10 ft it is a big step up from the stock Mac Pro which has never been able to keep my Magic Mouse from stuttering 6 feet away. I had to add an external bluetooth dongle, which works great. The current Mac mini is just as bad (read the endless complaints about its BT).

I read in another thread that the Mac Pro's internal Wi-fi is not disabled and still shows up as a "N" device as well as the Fenvi showing up as an "ac" device. Apparently it does no harm with both of them active. If I wanted to go in and disable the stock wi-fi card I would just replace it instead with a newer Broadcom card, but I don't want to mess with it and its internal antennas if there is an almost plug-and-play solution.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
If you can wait a few days, I will be testing the OSXWiifi kit... although I pieced together stuff from various parts on eBay and saved a bundle.

Should be every bit as good performance wise as the $160 kit, or the unsightly Fenvi card (which eats up a PCIe slot). All while costing about $53.

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
The best solution is to find a real Broadcom card from a Mac. Consult this post for working models:

YMMV as the card's performance as it's tied directly to the PCI adapter you purchase alongside it. Anecdotal reports I've heard from various sources suggest the BCM94360CS2 is the least problematic. But performance is also quite poor.

I purchased a BCM943602CS (found in 2015 MBPs) and while I have the card, the adapter will be here Monday. I can report back but will obviously need time to test it. BCM94360CSAX is one of the older ones (found in 2013 models).

BCM94360CD is another option but considering it's also the most popular searched, likely the most expensive. But if you find one, here is an adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0762N451V

One thing to note: don't worry about the antenna array. More antennae != faster/better.

Lastly, please avoid places like OSXWifi that have basically bought out the internet and have artificially inflated their value. Re-consider supporting these predatory practices.

PS: I purchased mine from PowerbookMedic. I've been dealing with them for over a decade. Reputable and extremely fairly priced components. Every part I've ordered from them were legitimate Apple parts. Here is search for wireless cards: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/_search.php?page=1&categoryid=&q=airport

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
The best solution is to find a real Broadcom card from a Mac. Consult this post for working models: [link]

YMMV as the card's performance as it's tied directly to the PCI adapter you purchase alongside it. Anecdotal reports I've heard from various sources suggest the BCM94360CS2 is the least problematic. But performance is also quite poor.

From the thread you linked:
This thread does not support:
  • macOS/Continuity
Your comments and that last one are pretty much why I don't want to mess with changing the internal card. "YMMV ... tied directly to the PCI adapter". I just want something that works to provide continuity. It is not my hobby to rebuild my Mac Pro, even though I'm a EE and could sift through pages and pages of people's experiences and experiment with cards and configurations. I use my Mac Pro for real work. I just want to update it for continuity with a minimum of my time spent and minimum downtime doing it.

• Sad
Reactions: nofxrs and Tiem

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
From the thread you linked:
This thread does not support:
  • macOS/Continuity
Your comments and that last one are pretty much why I don't want to mess with changing the internal card. "YMMV ... tied directly to the PCI adapter". I just want something that works to provide continuity. It is not my hobby to rebuild my Mac Pro, even though I'm a EE and could sift through pages and pages of people's experiences and experiment with cards and configurations. I use my Mac Pro for real work. I just want to update it for continuity with a minimum of my time spent and minimum downtime doing it.
I think you are very confused. But to each their own. My aim is to help people avoid the terrible performance and reliability of the Fenvi T919.

Cheers

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
for the moment i left without one slot cover, but next week 'll get one and drill a small hole - wide enough for the usb wire...

;-)
Later will have a drill on a slot cover...
my tools are on the office and for few days are leave like that.

There is room on the Fenvi bracket for a large enough hole. Drill that and block the gaps with some electrical tape after feeding the cable through as the head is wider than the cable.

nofxrs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Porto Alegre - Brazil
I think you are very confused. But to each their own. My aim is to help people avoid the terrible performance and reliability of the Fenvi T919.

Cheers

3 days using, havent faced any terrible performance or reliability.
[automerge]1595784426[/automerge]
There is room on the Fenvi bracket for a large enough hole. Drill that and block the gaps with some electrical tape after feeding the cable through as the head is wider than the cable.

indeed.
i just need a small hole, and pass the wire BEFORE closing the case, so i wont need to worry about any gap..

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
indeed.
i just need a small hole, and pass the wire BEFORE closing the case, so i wont need to worry about any gap..

No. What I meant was that either the 9 pin end or the USB-A end is wider than the cable, so passing either one through a hole large enough in the bracket will leave a gap around the narrower cable.

What might be easier to achieve, if you have a steady hand is to cut a notch, just wide enough to accommodate the cable on one side of the bracket above and clear of the aerial connections and jam the cable into that before putting the card into the PCIe slot. That will not leave a gap

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
What might be easier to achieve, if you have a steady hand is to cut a notch, just wide enough to accommodate the cable on one side of the bracket above and clear of the aerial connections and jam the cable into that before putting the card into the PCIe slot. That will not leave a gap
Yep, that was what I was thinking too. A notch in the side of the bracket should do it.

nofxrs - have you noticed any wi-fi issues with both the internal wi-fi card and the Fenvi active? Also I'm assuming you used Bluetooth Explorer to change the Bluetooth controller from the internal card to the Fenvi. Or did you remove/disable either of those internal cards?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
While I understand getting the Fenvi card or one of the several models of PCIe adapters that can use a BCM943260 to have better antennas than the Mac Pro original ones, I only see drawbacks getting the needed USB connection from one of the just three USB ports on the back. Why get the USB signals from an external USB port and not from the BT USB connection?

You can make a cable or even split and mend both the Fenvi USB and the original BT one to get the USB connection working fully internally.

nofxrs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Porto Alegre - Brazil
While I understand getting the Fenvi card or one of the several models of PCIe adapters that can use a BCM943260 to have better antennas than the Mac Pro original ones, I only see drawbacks getting the needed USB connection from one of the just three USB ports on the back. Why get the USB signals from an external USB port and not from the BT USB connection?

You can make a cable or even split and mend both the Fenvi USB and the original BT one to get the USB connection working fully internally.

that's a way beyond my skills... but if you teach me who knows? hehe.....
[automerge]1595811746[/automerge]
Yep, that was what I was thinking too. A notch in the side of the bracket should do it.

nofxrs - have you noticed any wi-fi issues with both the internal wi-fi card and the Fenvi active? Also I'm assuming you used Bluetooth Explorer to change the Bluetooth controller from the internal card to the Fenvi. Or did you remove/disable either of those internal cards?

no issues or whatsoever... just few days using...
i've used the bluetooth explorer and made just the fenvi active... didnt remove the internal bt for now...

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
that's a way beyond my skills... but if you teach me who knows? hehe.....
[automerge]1595811746[/automerge]

no issues or whatsoever... just few days using...
i've used the bluetooth explorer and made just the fenvi active... didnt remove the internal bt for now...
I'm been using a bluetooth USB dongle for years because the internal BT is worthless for a mouse (well documented). I ordered the Fenvi card today and when it arrives I'll try it without connecting the USB port (i.e. try to continue to use the dongle for BT). If that works then the whole cable issue is moot. Again, I just want to get continuity features working around my desk. Beyond that I'm not concerned with BT range, or really wi-fi range either as I use ethernet for everything else.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Internal bluetooth is not worthless on the 4,1/5,1. I currently use a Apple space gray keyboard and mouse on my 4,1 and I've never had lag or connectivity issues. I am upgrading to AC wifi and 4.0 bluetooth not to solve issues, but to gain features only available to what the newer hardware supports.

Oh, and I also have a late 2018 Mini and have not experienced any of the issues often cried about. Even when using older devices like a 1st gen trackpad.

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
Internal bluetooth is not worthless on the 4,1/5,1. I currently use a Apple space gray keyboard and mouse on my 4,1 and I've never had lag or connectivity issues. I am upgrading to AC wifi and 4.0 bluetooth not to solve issues, but to gain features only available to what the newer hardware supports.

Oh, and I also have a late 2018 Mini and have not experienced any of the issues often cried about. Even when using older devices like a 1st gen trackpad.
Do you work for Apple? They have also ignored the 24 pages of complaints about the Mac-mini BT in this thread
and dozens of articles on the internet about the Mac Pro bluetooth issues since prior to 2010.

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth

You do realize that a BT keyboard is about as demanding on BT as a bird is on the back an elephant. Use the keyboard, pair a PS4 or Xbox controller and a set of wireless headphones with decent sound quality and then see how it all goes for you.

Older devices are likely even less demanding.

As an aside, while Apple has fixed it, also bear in mind that USB2.0 has long been bugged in Catalina. And the Fenvi runs off 2.0, not 3. Moot now, but it’s an archaic structure with many aging parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.