Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
I'm well aware of that thread, as I've owned the Mini since they launched it in Nov of 2018. I never bothered to read it when it was created, or now, as I never had any issues with mine. Keep in mind, people who post on forums about computers probably make up less than 5% of actual owners of said device.

As far as the Mac Pro, I can't say I've tried to pair a bunch of things all at once. I don't game on my Macs, nor do I use bluetooth headphones. About all I pair via bluetooth is my keyboard and mouse. I would imagine if you're trying to sync multiple heavy use devices at the same time on a 10+ year old computer, you're going to have a bad time.

• Haha
Reactions: Tiem

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
While I understand getting the Fenvi card or one of the several models of PCIe adapters that can use a BCM943260 to have better antennas than the Mac Pro original ones, I only see drawbacks getting the needed USB connection from one of the just three USB ports on the back. Why get the USB signals from an external USB port and not from the BT USB connection?

You can make a cable or even split and mend both the Fenvi USB and the original BT one to get the USB connection working fully internally.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
I paid for the OSXWiFi solution and I was able to update the Mac Pro 5,1 to the latest specs and got a nice boost to WiFi and it was wonderful to be able to use Airdrop. You need to enable the continuity tool, which I didn't do but just being able to airdrop stuff made this worthwhile. For you to all the same functionality with a fraction of the price or headache may be worthwhile using this card.

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
I bought the Fenvi T919 card and it was a marvelous solution to enable the continuity features I wanted: AirDrop, Universal Clipboard, and Handoff. My previous USB BT Dongle works much better than the Fenvi with my Magic Mouse because of the positioning of my Mac Pro and now 6 external USB 3.0 Hard Drives and 3 Monitors that shield or interfere with BT signals from the back of the Mac Pro to my mouse. And continuing to use the BT Dongle has the MAJOR additional advantage that NO USB CABLE from the Fenvi is needed. i.e. I just plugged in the Fenvi PCI card with my $5 USB BT Dongle plugged into my wired keyboard - no additional cables at all. Used Bluetooth Explorer to pick the BT Dongle controller.

I did need the following terminal command with the Fenvi card to keep the BT controller from switching after reboots (didn't need it before the Fenvi card). It works for Mojave but might have changed or is unnecessary (I'm not sure which) for later Mac OS's.

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always

I'm using Mojave but may eventually use Open Core to try a later Mac OS while waiting for the next-gen Macs to arrive.

I didn't physically disconnect or alter the Mac Pro stock Wi-Fi or BT cards. I did deactivate the stock Wi-Fi port in the Network System Preferences because that's trivial, but I really didn't notice any difference.

I followed the instructions in this post - #1,430 - for the 2 terminal commands that enable continuity compatibility for the Mac Pro. Don't forget to log out and back in to iCloud.

Last edited:

macpro00

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2016
I have this card and just ordered the adapter cable (CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable). One thing I learned is when I pulled my Apple WiFi card, I still have BT. I assume that is built into my Mac Pro motherboard. When my adapter arrives, would the Fenvi card interfere with my Apple BT?

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
I have this card and just ordered the adapter cable (CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable). One thing I learned is when I pulled my Apple WiFi card, I still have BT. I assume that is built into my Mac Pro motherboard. When my adapter arrives, would the Fenvi card interfere with my Apple BT?
1) There is no reason to pull out the Apple WiFi card. It won't interfere with the Fenvi.
2) You use Bluetooth Explorer to select the Fenvi BT. Then use the following terminal command to keep the Mac from switching back. No need to pull out the Apple BT card either.

As I explained above, if you use a BT dongle ($5) you won't need the USB cable, which is much nicer. But the dongle may have less BT range if that is important to you.

macpro00

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2016
1) There is no reason to pull out the Apple WiFi card. It won't interfere with the Fenvi.
2) You use Bluetooth Explorer to select the Fenvi BT. Then use the following terminal command to keep the Mac from switching back. No need to pull out the Apple BT card either.

As I explained above, if you use a BT dongle ($5) you won't need the USB cable, which is much nicer. But the dongle may have less BT range if that is important to you.

Thank you for the reply. The Fenvi card is installed in the pcie slot, as we speak. I reconnected the Apple WiFi card. If I don't need to remove the Apple BT card or the Apple WiFi card, shouldn't the Fenvi card work or show up? I thought the adapter (CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable) is to power it up?

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
Thank you for the reply. The Fenvi card is installed in the pcie slot, as we speak. I reconnected the Apple WiFi card. If I don't need to remove the Apple BT card or the Apple WiFi card, shouldn't the Fenvi card work or show up? I thought the adapter (CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable) is to power it up?
The Fenvi card gets its WiFi function power from the PCI connector. It gets its BT power from the separate cable. If you don't use its BT function (i.e. use a separate dongle to get BT 4.x) then you don't need to use its separate cable at all.

If you have the Fenvi card plugged in its WiFi will simply work. You can go to the System Preferences Network Panel and enable/disable its WiFi or the Apple Internal WiFi function if you want. I saw no interference with both enabled but it take only a second to disable the internal WiFi card so I did.

Edit - to be clear its getting the Data+/Data- signals for BT from the USB connection. I don't know if it really needs power from the USB connector or not, but that's irrelevant.

Last edited:

macpro00

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2016
The Fenvi card gets its WiFi function power from the PCI connector. It gets its BT power from the separate cable. If you don't use its BT function (i.e. use a separate dongle to get BT 4.x) then you don't need to use its separate cable at all.

If you have the Fenvi card plugged in its WiFi will simply work. You can go to the System Preferences Network Panel and enable/disable its WiFi or the Apple Internal WiFi function if you want. I saw no interference with both enabled but it take only a second to disable the internal WiFi card so I did.

Edit - to be clear its getting the Data+/Data- signals for BT from the USB connection. I don't know if it really needs power from the USB connector or not, but that's irrelevant.

My cMP is still not seeing the pcie wifi card. Is there anything I need to do to activate it? I just removed the Fenvi card and installed it in a different pcie slot to see if it helps. Nothing. I think this may be defective?

Last edited:

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
My cMP is still not seeing the pcie wifi card. Is there anything I need to do to activate it? I just removed the Fenvi card and installed it in a different pcie slot to see if it helps. Nothing.
It's not showing up in the Network System Preference pane as Wi-Fi 2 (assuming the original card is still installed and showing up as Wi-Fi in the Preference pane)? What Mac OS are you running?

macpro00

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2016
It's not showing up in the Network System Preference pane as Wi-Fi 2 (assuming the original card is still installed and showing up as Wi-Fi in the Preference pane)? What Mac OS are you running?
That is correct. Not showing up. I am running Mojave 10.14.6. Yes, I still have the original card installed, active, and connected to my network. There is no Wi-Fi 2 in the Network System Preference.

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
That is correct. Not showing up. I am running Mojave 10.14.6. Yes, I still have the original card installed, active, and connected to my network. There is no Wi-Fi 2 in the Network System Preference.
I need to go out so I can't continue this conversation now. I'm also running the same Mohave. If you haven't done it yet you could try the kext commands I linked to above to see if that makes it appear, but it wasn't necessary for me and I don't think it should be. Fenvi doesn't even talk about that at all. Other than that I don't know unless there is a problem with the Fenvi card.

macpro00

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2016
I need to go out so I can't continue this conversation now. I'm also running the same Mohave. If you haven't done it yet you could try the kext commands I linked to above to see if that makes it appear, but it wasn't necessary for me and I don't think it should be. Fenvi doesn't even talk about that at all. Other than that I don't know unless there is a problem with the Fenvi card.

I am concluding this is a faulty card and will get a replacement. Thank you!

MacManInt

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Hi Guys,
making this post just to say that i Sucessfully upgraded my Mac Pro 4.1 for a Fully working Wifi+bluetooth last gen + Airdrop

Since i'm no expert, decided to post this to encourage other 'noobs' like me to do the Easy, and cheap, upgrade.

Parts used:
A) Fenvi T919 for Mac OS ~ $50
B) 9 pin Male to External USB A Male PC ~$2 (you need this cable to power the BT module)
View attachment 936888
View attachment 936889

Instructions: Just plug the original cable that comes with the fenvi on the 9 pin male to external usb - on a back usb 2.0 port.

After installing the PCI-e card, download the Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg - open Bluetooth Explorer, Search on the toolbar for "Tools" ---> "HCI Controller Selector" --> and change the Controller.

You're all set, easy like that, for just 52 bucks.

note: only thing i haven't tested yet is the Handoff..

View attachment 936887

Thanks for the information.
I recently bought a Mac Pro 2009, which had this card installed and the Wifi was working but not the BT. I ordered the USB cable as you show above and managed to get the BT working, including Airdrop.

What I can't get working is Handoff/Continuity features?
In the system report under BT it everything is exactly the same as your specs above. I note both on yours and mine that under discoverable it says ' OFF', yet in the Bluetooth Preferences in System Preferences it is set to discoverable.

I suppose that it must be discoverable if the Airdrop from my iPhone works well?

fatespawn

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Chicagoish
I have a clean install of Mojave on a new MacPro I purchased.... any idea how how obtain Bluetooth Explorer so I can enable BT on the Fenvi card?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have a clean install of Mojave on a new MacPro I purchased.... any idea how how obtain Bluetooth Explorer so I can enable BT on the Fenvi card?
I'm not understanding what you want to do. Exactly like when using a real BCM94360CD AirPort Extreme module, you need to connect the Fenvi T919 card to USB. BT controller is a USB Device.

Fenvi T919 BT controller is enabled automatically, if you connected the USB connection header of the Fenvi card to the D+ and D- lines of the BT header (or to the BT black cable) on the backplane. You can also connect it to a Mac Pro USB port, see what works best for you.

Btw, you need to disconnect/disable the original BT controller from the backplane if you connect the Fenvi card to a USB port and etc.

fatespawn

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Chicagoish
Thank you - I couldn't find Bluetooth explorer... but I think I got things going with this code

I can AirDrop now (which is really what I wanted) but still can't get continuity/handoff working. I'll keep plugging away at it. I have it connected to a USB plug in the back of the computer.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you - I couldn't find Bluetooth explorer... but I think I got things going with this code

I can AirDrop now (which is really what I wanted) but still can't get continuity/handoff working. I'll keep plugging away at it. I have it connected to a USB plug in the back of the computer.
You have to hack Continuity/Hand-Off, see this post:

If you already did it, you could have a NVRAM volume problem, more specifically multiplication of the bluetoothActiveControllerInfo and bluetoothInternalControllerInfo and this require you to re-flash a clean BootROM dump.

Reactions: fatespawn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.