Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
In case anyone is considering testing the IO Crest switch card I contacted a supplier on Alibaba and the sample price for one is $165 plus $30 shipping to the US, plus any customs fees/tariffs, so probably best to just order it under the Syba brand from a domestic supplier.

Reactions: dabotsonline

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Added compatibility status for the SSDs in the first post. If you know that status please feel free to add it/update it.

I just added some colour to the compatibility status. I think this can greatly avoid members misread the poor supported options as the good possible options.

And if anyone just want the good option, can look for the green.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
Raid 0 is not bootable on modern macOS versions.
Can you elaborate on that? I'm currently booting Sierra from a Raid 0 created with SoftRAID on a Apricorn Velocity Duo (800MB/s theoretical throughput, 660MB/s actual throughput). I have not updated to High Sierra because I didn't have time to research what APFS would do to my setup.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
How about this 4 blade for $169 due to be released in October. https://store.mineority.io/sqrl/acorn-nest-x4/

I can't see a PLX switch on their board diagram.

From their webpage : " AcornNest X4 allows you to host four Acorn units in a PCIe 2.0/3.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x8 slot without any special motherboard requirements."

birfucation ?

I found this in post #485 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4391318.480

" The Nest X4 has a PCIe switch so it eliminates the need for the MB to support bifurcation to share the power of the acorns."

I wonder .. . .

Reactions: dabotsonline

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
How about this 4 blade for $169 due to be released in October. https://store.mineority.io/sqrl/acorn-nest-x4/

I can't see a PLX switch on their board diagram.

From their webpage : " AcornNest X4 allows you to host four Acorn units in a PCIe 2.0/3.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x8 slot without any special motherboard requirements."

birfucation ?

I found this in post #485 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4391318.480

" The Nest X4 has a PCIe switch so it eliminates the need for the MB to support bifurcation to share the power of the acorns."

I wonder .. . .
support depends on the chipset. those details seem to be missing.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
handheldgames

Yes, yet they state USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 + Link width X16 .. and . . if there is no switch onboard only the first blade of possible 4 will be viable AFAIK.

The Syba 2 blade Is .. I quote " DEDICATED USB 3.0. I assume that USB 3.0 is backwards compatible .. . is this true when the word "DEDICATED" is used in the product description ?

Depending on the PLX or ASMEDIA SWITCH being aboard the $169 price is certainly attractive.

( They also have a 2 blade adapter which supposedly has onboard bifurcation )

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I have a spare supermicro x16 switch available. It was used once and successfully managed to electrically fry the x58 chipset on a 4,1 cpu tray.
WOW ! Thanks for that info !
Can you tell us more about that ( painful ) experience ? What do you think caused it ?
What else was in the PCIe slots when the 'FRY'occurred ?

They no longer list that model in their "Downloads/manuals 'list

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
WOW ! Thanks for that info !
Can you tell us more about that ( painful ) experience ? What do you think caused it ?
What else was in the PCIe slots when the 'FRY'occurred ?

Thanks for the reminder. I also have an efi modded 680 gtx that stays in high speed fan mode at all times due to the super micro card. The apple 1tb ssuax I had at that time survived with all data and no harm.

Kai.Def

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Manchester
Hi there,

good thread thus far.

Question;

Would it be possible to use the Highpoint 7101 ssd controller - put 4 512gb 970 evos in there. Set 1 up as boot drive, raid the the remaining & then Fusion them. Would that boot? & if yes would we see raid 0 speeds?

Just a thought/question. @tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi there,

good thread thus far.

Question;

Would it be possible to use the Highpoint 7101 ssd controller - put 4 512gb 970 evos in there. Set 1 up as boot drive, raid the the remaining & then Fusion them. Would that boot? & if yes would we see raid 0 speeds?

Just a thought/question. @tsialex

I think this scenario can be possible, but honestly, it's one of that things that you can do but shouldn't.

Think about how much points of failure you have.

I definitely wouldn't do it.

MisterBiro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Orange, CA
Reseat the ssd in the m.2 adapter. If it doesn’t get any more stable, return it to the vendor you purchased it from

The lycon adapter probably is not your problem.
In case anyone is interested, I couldn't get this to work either re-seating or in the kyro adapter.

I returned it and replaced it with a 970 Evo which works fine (Even though it's also based on a PM981 controller).

I don't know if there was a problem with the individual original drive or a problem with the specific model, but either way the 970 is working fine.

Reactions: handheldgames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.