Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JeDiGM

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2018
I don't think so. Any way it's a SATA + NVMe blade. This works very bad when installed into MP5,1.

Thanks Alex. That sucks cause the price is great. Can you take a look at the specs on newegg if you have a chance? I just want a simple 1 slot adapter to plug a single 970 EVO 2TB NVMe into and get full speed out of. If i can avoid complicated cards and RAID that would be great.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108416&cm_re=M2d18-_-22-108-416-_-Product

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks Alex. That sucks cause the price is great. Can you take a look at the specs on newegg if you have a chance? I just want a simple 1 slot adapter to plug a single 970 EVO 2TB NVMe into and get full speed out of. If i can avoid complicated cards and RAID that would be great.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108416&cm_re=M2d18-_-22-108-416-_-Product
I've read the specs on the Synology site, to me seems a card only made to be used into Synology NAS.

If you want a tried card around this price point, go for the Syba/IOCrest one.

JeDiGM

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2018
I've read the specs on the Synology site, to me seems a card only made to be used into Synology NAS.

If you want a tried card around this price point, go for the Syba/IOCrest one.

Thanks Alex. I didn't explain it properly and that's my fault. I purchase in CAD LOL. So the Syba/IOCrest is $380 and the Synology is $180. I'm thinking I might just get a regular cheap adapter and see if I can get 1500 for now until a better single slot option comes along.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks Alex. I didn't explain it properly and that's my fault. I purchase in CAD LOL. So the Syba/IOCrest is $380 and the Synology is $180. I'm thinking I might just get a regular cheap adapter and see if I can get 1500 for now until a better single slot option comes along.
Do as I did, search eBay everyday for SSD7101A. Got one for $285 today, another user here bought one last week for $275.

JeDiGM

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2018
Thanks Alex. I was hoping to get away with something really cheap and simple for this. I will keep an eye open. The SSD7101A requires it go through the board correct? The Amfeltec is a direct passthrough adapter?

I'm wondering if this adapter works just as well or not?
http://amfeltec.com/products/pci-express-gen-3-carrier-board-for-m-2-ssd-module/
or
http://amfeltec.com/products/pci-express-gen-3-carrier-board-for-2-m-2-ssd-modules/
[doublepost=1540331062][/doublepost]
It is only PCIe 2.0 x8 but it does feature a PCIe switch (IDT 89HPES24T6G2).

Gen 2.0 x8 is 4000MB/s correct?

Reactions: dabotsonline

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks Alex. I was hoping to get away with something really cheap and simple for this. I will keep an eye open. The SSD7101A requires it go through the board correct?
Yes

The Amfeltec is a direct passthrough adapter?
No, Squid is similar with SSD7101A but it's a double face card with 2 blades each side. PLX switch too.

this is just a pass-thru designed for 1U servers. 1500MB/s

If I'm not wrong this one is a Squid half version, no one tested this one yet, AFAIK.
[doublepost=1540331062][/doublepost]

Gen 2.0 x8 is 4000MB/s correct?
I don't think that you will get full performance from a 970PRO with this card. Even with a PCI3.0 x8 switch on a PCIe 2.0 x8 dual card like IOCrest, the total throughput available is equal or a bit less then the total throughput of a 970PRO, with this PCIe2.0 x8 you will get the same as the Mac Pro PCIe slot.

Last edited:

JeDiGM

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2018
I don't think that you will get full performance from a 970PRO with this card. Even with a PCI3.0 x8 switch on a PCIe 2.0 x8 dual card like IOCrest, the total throughput available is equal or a bit less then the total throughput of a 970PRO, with this PCIe2.0 x8 you will get the same as the Mac Pro PCIe slot.

Right. So I would need to look at an x16 card to make it work, correct? Which options are those? Slot 2 on the MB is x16 right? I'm assuming the Amfeltec definitely is because of the reported speeds with it? I'm sure this has been asked before.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The highpoint ssd7101-a shares the same price point as a similar Amfeltec product.

In many respects, the Highpoint design is superior for cooling and overall solution width. The dual sided design of the amfeltec has clearance issues with ssd heatsinks with 2.0 width video cards and usb 3.0 pcie adapters placed adjacent to the adapter.

Whereas the highpoint integrated cooling solution is integrated and very effective.

JeDiGM

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2018
The highpoint ssd7101-a shares the same price point as a similar Amfeltec product.

In many respects, the Highpoint design is superior for cooling and overall solution width. The dual sided design of the amfeltec has clearance issues with ssd heatsinks with 2.0 width video cards and usb 3.0 pcie adapters placed adjacent to the adapter.

Whereas the highpoint integrated cooling solution is integrated and very effective.

Is it loud though? I'm not big on active coolers. That's one of the reasons I was really intrigued by the Synology one I found.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is it loud though? I'm not big on active coolers. That's one of the reasons I was really intrigued by the Synology one I found.

If you don’t like active cooling fan noise, I think it’s possible to disconnect the high points onboard fan. But of course, you should add some good heatsink on the SSD AND the PCIe switch. Which may make it effectively double slot width.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I don't think so. Any way it's a SATA + NVMe blade. This works very bad when installed into MP5,1.
tsialex

The 2D18 spec s say it's a M-key.

B-key is for SATA isn't it ?

If if meets industry standards & also has a PCIe switch . . . or is this card just used for SSD caching only ?

Pval

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Holland
Moved to Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI thread.
Thanks for sharing. It looks like the maximum bandwidth from the asmedia chipset is 2900. Slightly under the expected 3000 mb/s that an x8 connection can deliver. The extra bandwidth is likely lost in the pcie 2.0 to 3.0 conversion.

In either case, a nice bump from 1500 mb/s

Yes, this seems to be the case, running AJA system test and Blackmagic side by side on two 970's gives some odd results, but the total throughput never exceeds 3000 MB/s.

Some more interesting benchmarks, Bonnie++ seems to show the CPU is the bottleneck here:
Various Bonnie++ benchmarks run:
1) performance of one 970 EVO
2) performance of two 970 EVO
3) performance of six threads run against one 970 EVO
4) performance of one SM951

Bonnie++ output is hard on the eyes, so here's a formatted page with all results : http://www.xs4all.nl/~mbpb/bonnie.html

Last edited:
Reactions: tsialex

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
If you don’t like active cooling fan noise, I think it’s possible to disconnect the high points onboard fan. But of course, you should add some good heatsink on the SSD AND the PCIe switch. Which may make it effectively double slot width.
I ordered several 2mm and 4mm thick pure copper heatsinks of varying sizes from 17mm x 17mm to 40mm x 40mm with sticky thermal conductive pads for the PLX switch on the SSD7101A and 4 NVMe 2280 pure copper heatsinks.

I'll report back with my findings.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
tsialex

The 2D18 spec s say it's a M-key.

B-key is for SATA isn't it ?

If if meets industry standards & also has a PCIe switch . . . or is this card just used for SSD caching only ?
This card is a no go in various ways. For start, it's a PCI 2.0 switch…

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I ordered several 2mm and 4mm thick pure copper heatsinks of varying sizes from 17mm x 17mm to 40mm x 40mm with sticky thermal conductive pads for the PLX switch on the SSD7101A and 4 NVMe 2280 pure copper heatsinks.

I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks for all the tests.

From what I've read, it seems the 7101A card's fan can be quite noisy. If there is a silent cooling solution for this card, and still keep it single slot wide, this may be a good news for all those users that sensitive to fan noise.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Moved to Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI thread.

Yes, this seems to be the case, running AJA system test and Blackmagic side by side on two 970's gives some odd results, but the total throughput never exceeds 3000 MB/s.

Some more interesting benchmarks, Bonnie++ seems to show the CPU is the bottleneck here:
Various Bonnie++ benchmarks run:
1) performance of one 970 EVO
2) performance of two 970 EVO
3) performance of six threads run against one 970 EVO
4) performance of one SM951

Bonnie++ output is hard on the eyes, so here's a formatted page with all results : http://www.xs4all.nl/~mbpb/bonnie.html

Agree on the complexity of the report. It’s a bit overwhealming to digest on an iPhone.

I should have benchmarks backing up the variance in performance on the 970 pro in various single and dual processor systems at home. From what I remember a fast single processor system had superior nvme performance compared to a similar cMP in a dual processor system.

Pval

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Holland
I should have benchmarks backing up the variance in performance on the 970 pro in various single and dual processor systems at home. From what I remember a fast single processor system had superior nvme performance compared to a similar cMP in a dual processor system.

Ran some other benchmarks, Amorphous Diskmark shows sequential read speeds of up to 3300MB/s when file size is over 500MB. Write speeds below 500MB file size on the other hand also approach 3000MB/s.

Xbench is showing low results, not sure if the benchmark is representative of real-world performance or if it's too old, version 1.3 was released 2006 ;)

I've looked at dd, hyperfine, hdparm, fio for testing, but results vary.

I couldn't find quickbench, some shops still have it but the website is down, reviews tell of them being unresponsive, etc. Looking for a grey version.

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2018
th3 n0rth
the Acorn card looks promising...

what do you guys suggest for a triple boot setup? win10 efi for games, osx for video production, and linux for running servers [file server etc].
i was thinking of getting a 1 or 2 slot nvme card and using win and osx on them and then putting linux on an ssd. probably raid 3 or 4 ssd [or hdd] in the sata bays.

the priority would be win10 on nvme. i don't have very demanding throughput needs right now.

the plan is to use the nvme inside a new build in a few years, after the 7nm process releases. this is my only machine besides a cell phone until i build a new one. new rig will likely be gaming oriented and i will keep this machine as a render node and file/back up server

stix666

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2005
Thanks for the thread all, esp Tsialex. I now have a samsung 970 evo in the bottom slot of my mac pro that boots mojave. However, on the blackmagic disk speed (version 3.2), it's just reporting a speed of 300 - 500 MB/s. This seems too slow. Any reason why? Graphic card is RX580. Disk is partitioned 500Gb APFS case-sensitive and 500Gb MSDOS-FAT. Connector is Kryo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.