Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think virtual desktops in Mac OS mitigate that.
But then all windows aren't visible at once. So say I'm writing a report while referencing a large spreadsheet. I have Word open on one desktop, then open the spreadsheet on another desktop. Each time I want to see the spreadsheet I have to switch to the other desktop. I can never see Word and spreadsheet at the same time. If I have them both in the same desktop, then the windows overlap, or if I arrange the windows so they don't overlap, each window is too small to display enough useful content.

The way we have been solving this problem until now is to have multiple monitors. But with VP, we can have multiple non-overlapping windows without need for having multiple monitors cluttering our desks.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
But then all windows aren't visible at once. So say I'm writing a report while referencing a large spreadsheet. I have Word open on one desktop, then open the spreadsheet on another desktop. Each time I want to see the spreadsheet I have to switch to the other desktop. I can never see Word and spreadsheet at the same time. If I have them both in the same desktop, then the windows overlap, or if I arrange the windows so they don't overlap, each window is too small to display enough useful content.

The way we have been solving this problem until now is to have multiple monitors. But with VP, we can have multiple non-overlapping windows without need for having multiple monitors cluttering our desks.
It is not physically possible to view two documents at the same time. I think it is more accurate to say that Vision Pro and having two monitors makes glancing from one document to another faster than the virtual desktop. Agree. I mentioned the virtual desktop because you guys didn't. I am happy using the virtual desktops as an economical trade-off from purchasing additional monitors and the Vision Pro (and saving me from wearing that thing on my face).

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Sure...you can do it that way. But, I find the difference much greater than just a quicker glance. My work feels more naturally integrated, with all the information I need positioned around me. Virtual Desktops are good for what they do, but I don't think it's really comparable to the experience in the Vision Pro.

Reactions: Night Spring

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Sure...you can do it that way. But, I find the difference much greater than just a quicker glance. My work feels more naturally integrated, with all the information I need positioned around me. Virtual Desktops are good for what they do, but I don't think it's really comparable to the experience in the Vision Pro.
Can you definitively say that you are getting work done faster with VisionPro than not? And, if so, can you quantify it?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Each time I want to see the spreadsheet I have to switch to the other desktop.
I find switching to another desktop or window more convenient than having to turn my head. This is likely a matter of personal preference. I have a monitor that basically fills my field of view, minus peripheral vision. Within that FOV, I can arrange and switch between contents and layouts however I like. I don’t see what turning my head to a different screen would buy me, other than now having multiple displays to manage, and the side displays being misaligned with my keyboard and mouse.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Can you definitively say that you are getting work done faster with VisionPro than not? And, if so, can you quantify it?
This has been the most productive week I've had in probably over a year; I've made more progress on my book and project this week than I've made in a long time. The Vision Pro puts me into a flow state that I've struggled to find in my house. I used to have a writing cabin in a remote mountain village in Guatemala; I got rid of it because I didn't like the time away from my wife and child. The Vision Pro lets me feel like I've entered another world, absent the distractions that are all around me in my home. In fact, I'd say it's better than my cabin was, because I can work all day, but then just take it off and be at home with my family.

I can't say enough about how great this week has been working in the Vision Pro.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I find switching to another desktop or window more convenient than having to turn my head. This is likely a matter of personal preference. I have a monitor that basically fills my field of view, minus peripheral vision. Within that FOV, I can arrange and switch between contents and layouts however I like. I don’t see what turning my head to a different screen would buy me, other than now having multiple displays to manage, and the side displays being misaligned with my keyboard and mouse.
Sure, it may be a matter of preference. But it's not only multiple monitors, but a dramatically bigger workspace. I can place a 7 foot tall window of Freeform, where I can see a much greater number of the post-it notes I use to organize my project. That's on the left of my typical setup. On the right of my setup, I have a very large spread sheet with about 200 icons and descriptions of each step in my project. I can see much more detail at a glance than on any monitor I've ever used. I feel immersed in my project in the Vision Pro, and I've never had that experience on monitors.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
This has been the most productive week I've had in probably over a year; I've made more progress on my book and project this week than I've made in a long time. The Vision Pro puts me into a flow state that I've struggled to find in my house. I used to have a writing cabin in a remote mountain village in Guatemala; I got rid of it because I didn't like the time away from my wife and child. The Vision Pro lets me feel like I've entered another world, absent the distractions that are all around me in my home. In fact, I'd say it's better than my cabin was, because I can work all day, but then just take it off and be at home with my family.

I can't say enough about how great this week has been working in the Vision Pro.
It is interesting to hear this from a productivity standpoint. While I don't have any use for it at present, I do see industrial applications for it. For example, I was just at the Ophthalmologist for an intensive eye exam where the technician had difficulty positioning one of my eyes correctly for a retinal scan on a Nikon Optos machine. I occurs to me that a modified Vision Pro could do this and all of the other visual tests better, faster and more comfortably.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sure, it may be a matter of preference. But it's not only multiple monitors, but a dramatically bigger workspace. I can place a 7 foot tall window of Freeform, where I can see a much greater number of the post-it notes I use to organize my project. That's on the left of my typical setup. On the right of my setup, I have a very large spread sheet with about 200 icons and descriptions of each step in my project. I can see much more detail at a glance than on any monitor I've ever used. I feel immersed in my project in the Vision Pro, and I've never had that experience on monitors.
I said before, in another thread, I believe, that even though each window is only displaying 2D content, having them in 3D space and being able to resize and position them as we want is a real boon to productivity. People who complain about the lack of true 3D content are overlooking the usefulness of having 2D content in 3D space.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
This really interests me -- I've always wished to have a "huge" electronic whiteboard (e.g. Freeform). I wondered though if a Freeform window on AVP was just bigger, maybe not actually giving you more space because everything had to be sized up to see/use. From what you're saying, you actually do have a larger canvas to productively work with -- i.e. it's not just bigger, but can hold more content... ?

There is no way to have multiple Freeform windows, right?

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I figured it out. You are the only person in the world that uses pages, numbers, and keynote :p
I probably use Keynote more than any other app — it is excellent for design work and app prototyping. I’ve also used Pages to design full page ads and other printed media.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
At this point, I am probably one of the world’s experts in Keynote. I’ve created hundreds (thousands?) of slides in it, with all manner of motion and animation. Again, I’m not using it for business presentations. I use to to make small movies of philosophical concepts that I’m working on. :)
Yeah, Keynote is very powerful — I have emailed support multiple times to try to get them to implement scrolling within slides. Nothing I’m aware of currently will allow this (other than an animation that replicates scrolling automatically).

If any of your work is public, I would love to see it!

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Yeah, Keynote is very powerful — I have emailed support multiple times to try to get them to implement scrolling within slides. Nothing I’m aware of currently will allow this (other than an animation that replicates scrolling automatically).

If any of your work is public, I would love to see it!
Here's an example...

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Well done! That looks like intense Keynote work, so I can see the benefits of the AVP in helping with work focus. Curious — do you have any audio playing while working in your space?
I have various music playlists for various situations and projects. I also use the App "Better Sleep" quite a bit to construct soundscapes that increase Flow.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Well, you're not doing the work I'm doing and experiencing the productivity I'm experiencing.

As with all things in life, your mileage may vary.
Be real. You are using typical office suite apps. That's the most ubiquitous computer use case in productivity domain. What I see here is the proof that AVP is not suitable for use cases related to use of real time data (like stock market trading). Those folks have to use multiple physical displays (up to 6 or even 8). For office type applications, I personally prefer ultra wide monitor but multiple monitors is an option. In you video, you switch between three windows/screens. That's what virtual displays are for. With virtual displays, you can switch betweeen them much faster (one mouse click or a keyboard shortcut).

Reactions: klasma

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Be real. You are using typical office suite apps. That's the most ubiquitous computer use case in productivity domain. What I see here is the proof that AVP is not suitable for use cases related to use of real time data (like stock market trading). Those folks have to use multiple physical displays (up to 6 or even 8). For office type applications, I personally prefer ultra wide monitor but multiple monitors is an option. In you video, you switch between three windows/screens. That's what virtual displays are for. With virtual displays, you can switch betweeen them much faster (one mouse click or a keyboard shortcut).
Look, I'm not sure why you think you have the ability to tell me what is and is not productive for me. I haven't said that every job will benefit from AVP. I am being "real." And, btw, I'm either using my MacBook Pro to both navigate and type, or I'm using the magic keyboard and trackpad. :)

Last edited:

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
What I see here is the proof that AVP is not suitable for use cases related to use of real time data (like stock market trading). Those folks have to use multiple physical displays (up to 6 or even 8).
Thinking on this, why couldn't a trader use the vision pro? Here's a 5 minute setup I did this morning...

IMG_0024.png

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I would think a stock market trader would prefer a wired connection for real time data, but it would also depend on if the trading software is available for the platform.

No one platform is meant for everyone in all situations — that would be impossible. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t extremely useful for a large number of people.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I would think a stock market trader would prefer a wired connection for real time data, but it would also depend on if the trading software is available for the platform.

No one platform is meant for everyone in all situations — that would be impossible. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t extremely useful for a large number of people.
I was mostly referring to just one screen being really in focus whereas with physical screens they are all sharp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.