Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
I’ve been using a paper-like type screen protector for a long time as I use the pencil a every day for work as I use it for taking notes and jotting ideas, etc. Lately I’ve been thinking of removing it as it has a matte finish and I feel like with the M1 iPad that its hindering a lot of how great the screen is behind the duller finish of the matte protector.

Are any of you heavy pencil users for things like notes and don’t have one on? How is your experience with it? Just curious as I’m seriously considering removing mine.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My favorites are the Elecom brand which has 2 different screen protectors that give the paper like feel in smooth or rough. My #1 is the Power Point crystal clear protector. They are pricey and not the paper feel but I like them the best.

I prefer glass protectors on my phone and good quality film on my iPad. I know many claim they’ve never use screen protectors. I always use protectors. The few times I wasn’t able to get them quick enough, I got minute surface scratches. And I’m pretty careful with my electronics.

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
My favorites are the Elecom brand which has 2 different screen protectors that give the paper like feel in smooth or rough. My #1 is the Power Point crystal clear protector. They are pricey and not the paper feel but I like them the best.

I prefer glass protectors on my phone and good quality film on my iPad. I know many claim they’ve never use screen protectors. I always use protectors. The few times I wasn’t able to get them quick enough, I got minute surface scratches. And I’m pretty careful with my electronics.

Thank you, I’m going to look into the Elecom brand and see if maybe those have a little more clarity than what I’m currently using.

Reactions: JavaJones

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've been using iCarez for years now. I prefer it mostly because of the lack of smudges and more of a grip when writing with the pencil. A slight reduction glare helps too, especially with black backgrounds.

Most of the packs I get come in 3, or 2. So, I'd encourage you to remove it to see what you prefer. If you're like me, you'll go back to it fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: LibbyLA

stevocg13

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
I use an ESR screen protector for general use. When I want more friction with the pencil, I use a removable and reusable ELECOM matte protector. I highly recommend getting a removable one so you can take it on in off as you please.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I’ve been using a paper-like type screen protector for a long time as I use the pencil a every day for work as I use it for taking notes and jotting ideas, etc. Lately I’ve been thinking of removing it as it has a matte finish and I feel like with the M1 iPad that its hindering a lot of how great the screen is behind the duller finish of the matte protector.

Are any of you heavy pencil users for things like notes and don’t have one on? How is your experience with it? Just curious as I’m seriously considering removing mine.

I’m using an iCarez matte screen protector.

It’s fine, but you do certainly lose out on the vibrancy of the iPad’s display. I added it because I thought I’d be using the Pencil more and that the added friction wouldn’t feel as slippery.

Turns out the difference is minor and I rarely use the Pencil.
At some point, I’ll probably remove it.

astro90

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2019
I like the Paperlike for drawing but I hate it for anything else. Will remove it soon as I started to use my iPad for other stuff than drawings.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
I'm using the Spigen ez fit tempered glass screen protector on my 12.9 iPad Pro (2021) with the Gen 2 Apple Pencil and everything works great, no issues writing or drawing and the pen on the screen is still extremely sensitive.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I did a period of 4/5 months of intensive studying making notes with the Pencil for hours every day. I didn't use Paperlike or anything else as I found I didn't have any problems writing or feel the need to add the friction Paperlike gives.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
So is there a verdict as to whether an additional layer of glass affects the sensitivity in using the Apple pen to a noticeable degree?

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
Thank you all for the replies. For those of you who were using a Paper-like protector (or one like it) have you noticed that you don’t like using the Pencil as much due to the feel or was it not that big of a deal. I’ve used one for so long I don’t even remember what it felt like using the Pencil without it as its the first thing I put on an iPad when I get a new one. I use the Pencil so often its a pretty big deal for me and I was just curious to your thoughts on how the Pencil feels against the bare screen.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I’ll be able to answer this tomorrow when I receive the glass screen protector. That way I will be able to compare how Apple Pencil 2 performs against the current bare screen versus one with a protector - glare aside.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Never used a screen protector on any device. Use Apple pencil daily. I’ve had to replace tip of pencil. On the Mohs scale of hardness, pencil softer than screen.

in the 60s and 70s folks used to put plastic slip covers on furniture. It protected the furniture, but fugly.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I bought a matte glass screen protector from Spigen and it's awesome after some getting used to. Best part is it's fingerprint resistance. I barely have to clean it.
Using the pen with it also feels much much better, and it's well protected.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Thank you all for the replies. For those of you who were using a Paper-like protector (or one like it) have you noticed that you don’t like using the Pencil as much due to the feel or was it not that big of a deal. I’ve used one for so long I don’t even remember what it felt like using the Pencil without it as its the first thing I put on an iPad when I get a new one. I use the Pencil so often its a pretty big deal for me and I was just curious to your thoughts on how the Pencil feels against the bare screen.
I’ve used the Elecom which has the paper feel and the Power Support crystal clear. I actually like the smooth writing feel even better than the rough feel. That’s just me. Although I do like the Elecom matte feel under my finger tips.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I used mine without a screen protector for a while and I did not like how the pen slowed (very slightly) when it moved from clean to grease (finger prints), I could feel a different resistance and was annoying for delicate drawing.

A matte screen protector resolved that. I do get that may take away from people's view of watching films etc and wanting pixel perfect sharpness but I soon got used to it.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

I prefer a bit of resistance with instead writing on just glass. I also like the quieter sound when writing with a protector. Still noisy, but less of a high pitch tapping but rather a lower key register.

Ultimately, I miss the screen quality and vibrancy. Also, the pencil scratches left on a matte protector look ugly when the iPad is turned off.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I prefer a bit of resistance with instead writing on just glass. I also like the quieter sound when writing with a protector. Still noisy, but less of a high pitch tapping but rather a lower key register.

Ultimately, I miss the screen quality and vibrancy. Also, the pencil scratches left on a matte protector look ugly when the iPad is turned off.
Funny how you mention the scratches on the matte protector. I would see these after heavy Pencil use on the Elecom. However, they would wipe away with screen cleaner and micro fiber cloth.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I haven’t used a screen protector for my iPad but I might now that I’m reading this. I only use the Pencil incidentally so I wouldn’t want to trade optical clarity. However I do really like the idea of less fingerprints. Worst part about using an iPad IMO.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I continue to use matte screen protectors on all of my iPads that I use the Apple Pencil on. I use it not only for the resistance it offers to improve the Pencil experience, but it also eliminates glare from the screen, and offers LESS resistance when using fingertips.

For those reasons, I find a matte protector to be essential. I've tried going back to a bare screen occasionally, and I find myself always going back to one.

The only exception is my Galaxy Tab S6. Screen protectors interfere with the in-screen touch ID and the tip of the S-Pen already offers paper-like resistance which is nice. The screen coating does a good job of masking fingerprint smudges. It's nice to not have any protection on that beautiful screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.