Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
I continue to use matte screen protectors on all of my iPads that I use the Apple Pencil on. I use it not only for the resistance it offers to improve the Pencil experience, but it also eliminates glare from the screen, and offers LESS resistance when using fingertips.

For those reasons, I find a matte protector to be essential. I've tried going back to a bare screen occasionally, and I find myself always going back to one.

The only exception is my Galaxy Tab S6. Screen protectors interfere with the in-screen touch ID and the tip of the S-Pen already offers paper-like resistance which is nice. The screen coating does a good job of masking fingerprint smudges. It's nice to not have any protection on that beautiful screen.

That’s what I’ve always used as well. I have one perfectly installed and its a pain (at least for me) to get them on just right with no bubbles or crooked, etc. I’ll probably just keep it on until its time for a new one and then try it without one on.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That’s what I’ve always used as well. I have one perfectly installed and its a pain (at least for me) to get them on just right with no bubbles or crooked, etc. I’ll probably just keep it on until its time for a new one and then try it without one on.
A bubbless screen protector is a thing of beauty. :) I have had great success with the iCarez brand in getting perfect applications. Other brands present more of a challenge for me.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
A bubbless screen protector is a thing of beauty. :) I have had great success with the iCarez brand in getting perfect applications. Other brands present more of a challenge for me.
Indeed. I've gotten iCarez down so well that I've installed them on all my immediate family's iPads and iPhones (they asked me to, I didn't even have to push it - after seeing my iPad/iPhone). Been working for me for the last few iPhone / iPad versions.

Reactions: sracer

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I have tried paper like on my 12.9 2021 iPad Pro, loved the feel for writing and for drawing. I also use my iPad for some streaming services, and I did not like image quality the the bare iPad gave me, so I removed it. I liked the feel of the paper like, but did not like the loss of image quality. Would love to get a magnetically attachable paper like matte one.

mtcislak

macrumors regular
May 30, 2019
Had my 2020 12.9 with Apple Pencil since release no case no screen protector no regrets. Do wish I had a keyboard at times though

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I finally received and installed the glass screen protector for the iPad Pro 12.9 2021. The original glass was more difficult to clean the surface oils I had to clean the screen twice with screen wipes. It's probably due to the anti-reflective coating that's just spreading the oils around versus lifting off the screen easily.

After a thorough cleaning, I applied the glass screen protector and the found one downside:

- it's subject to more glare if viewing off axis

That's it.

The glass is super smooth the Apple Pencil glides easily. I didn't find a noticeable decrease in sensitivity. I was writing in varying degrees from as light as possible to heavy and it was picking up everything with no lag.

Obviously those wanting a paper-like feel will not want the glass. I'm not a digital illustrator so this isn't what I'm looking for so the glass and super smooth writing which reflects the feel of luxury ballpoint pens (i.e. Mont Blanc) on smooth paper is what I compare it to.

Super easy to wipe the screen now.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I have a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro from launch.... no screen protector, no scratches at all....

I think it depends on what you are used to. I like the smoothness of the screen, I am sure I would NOT like the paper like. I use my pencil all the time... I am an artist too....

Laurene1126

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2021
I use a tempered glass screen protector because I just can’t get past not using one. I haven’t had any problems (I know some people have complained about that) I did look at a paper like protector since I think it would make it a little easier on using the pencil, at least for me

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I use a tempered glass screen protector because I just can’t get past not using one.
Whenever I see a crack on my glass screen protector then I always wonder "What would have happened if I didn't have this on?". In reality, probably nothing.

As for paper/matte screen protectors. I create more than I consume on the iPad so last year I switched to knockoff matte screen protectors and now I can't go back to glass.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Whenever I see a crack on my glass screen protector then I always wonder "What would have happened if I didn't have this on?". In reality, probably nothing.

As for paper/matte screen protectors. I create more than I consume on the iPad so last year I switched to knockoff matte screen protectors and now I can't go back to glass.
Once I went to matte screen protectors for my iPad years ago, I cannot go back to tempered glass. All my tempered glass screen protectors found some way to crack or break several times a year. I had one spider on an airplane flight due to pressure (I assume?). My matte screen protector on my phone lasts the life of the phone. My family saw it and begged me to put one on their devices (iPads/iPhones) - and haven't looked back.

However, talking to friends who are still stuck on Tempered glass - they admit their protectors break frequently but they think that it 'protects' their device and can't get out of that mindset. I see the glare those things produce and it just gives me a headache thinking about it, lol.

Apple Pencil with a matte screen protector is a thing of beauty - not to mention almost never having to worry about fingerprints. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.