Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I think I might buy this app. I like its simplicity, as opposed to some other note taking apps that look bloated with menus and features that just confuse things. I also like how people say its very responsive.

It must be doing well, since last night it suddenly was the number 1 iPad app in the app store.

After seeing positive comments about Penultimate here I bought it.
I'm very happy with my purchase :)

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I grabbed a cheap $2 stylus off ebay to try this app out with. Regardless it works great with your finger as well. Very nice iWork style UI!

wait i thought stylus's don't work on iphones and ipads?

how thick is the stylus.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i dont see the point in these types of apps. why not just use the regular notes app and just type stuff in.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
i dont see the point in these types of apps. why not just use the regular notes app and just type stuff in.

Because for those 10 seconds or less of using this app before I never use it again....I'm Free.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Got me to buy it a couple days ago. #1 paid App and 2nd highest grossing, what an influential thread this was! :p

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
So I picked up a Pogo Sketch Stylus at the apple store....and *cough* bluetooth wireless keyboard.

But I wanted to show you guys some of the differences of using the Pogo Sketch and your finger.

This is with Pogo Pen
web.png

web.png

Finger Comparison
Finger%20Test%20with%20Pen%20Ultimate.png

Drawing Test with Pogo
Pogo%20Drawing%20on%20Pen%20Ultimate.png

Drawing Test with Finger
web.png

Disclaimer
web.png

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Haha nice! You did a pretty good job with writing with your finger but it looks like you can't fit as much on the page.

How much did you pay at the Apple store? I was thinking about buying one there but ended up getting one on eBay for $11.95 shipped. Figured since I don't get my 3G iPad until next Friday anyway, what's the rush. I could have used it with my wife's WiFi iPad but I guess I'd rather save a few bucks. :p

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Haha nice! You did a pretty good job with writing with your finger but it looks like you can't fit as much on the page.

How much did you pay at the Apple store? I was thinking about buying one there but ended up getting one on eBay for $11.95 shipped. Figured since I don't get my 3G iPad until next Friday anyway, what's the rush. I could have used it with my wife's WiFi iPad but I guess I'd rather save a few bucks. :p

its a little bit expensive at the store. it was 15 dollars and they don't even have it on display. I only knew about it because I search Pogo Stylus on Macrumors forums and came across some people saying Apple has them in the back for sale but they don't announce it to the public.

WTF?

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
its a little bit expensive at the store. it was 15 dollars and they don't even have it on display. I only knew about it because I search Pogo Stylus on Macrumors forums and came across some people saying Apple has them in the back for sale but they don't announce it to the public.

WTF?

How strange. I may have to try that as well.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Do you think using a program like penultimate with a Pogo Stylus is a good substitute for a notebook and pen in class, or is it too awkward to write without resting your wrist down on the iPad?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Do you think using a program like penultimate with a Pogo Stylus is a good substitute for a notebook and pen in class, or is it too awkward to write without resting your wrist down on the iPad?

I wouldn't use it in class. Not until i see others. It just seems kinda pompous to use an ipad in class; least at mine. I like the app, but feel there is room for numerous updates and improvements. For $3 its not bad, but not great.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007

I think its good for writing small notes like a post it or describing something by diagram. It seems to work out much better if you make everything bigger. But it doesn't look effective for note taking in class. Especially when you have to write a lot so fast.

There really isn't an app that is out now that takes very good notes. I think pen ultimate needs a pinch system like adobe ideas so I can control the accuracy of my writing. Student notes pro is pretty good but I would be thinking of pairing it with a Bluetooth keyboard and use the mic icon to record lectures.

SteveWTW

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I have a question for those who have tried Penultimate with a stylus. What happens when you rest your palm on the iPad when you are writing at the top of a page. Does it not get confused?

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Dammit Cubs,

Thank you for the screen shots. Looks like the stylus is more accurate than the finger. Would you say the stylus wins in performance and long term use? What happens when you rest your hand on the screen while writing with the stylus?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Program sucks!

I think the program is limited and design wise boring, it has no features and one can onlywrite in turd brown. No color what so ever, it does not remember settings, always defaulting to the graph paper. No choice of width for ones writing style.

I bought on the positive recomendations I saw, and boy was I ever a sucker!

I would not recommend running out and buying all these programs in the beginning days and just hold back to see how thngs develop in the coming weeksn and months. Unless of course you like contributing to these developers who are just churning out programs that are deficient in almost every way!

OneMorePlease

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
I have a question for those who have tried Penultimate with a stylus. What happens when you rest your palm on the iPad when you are writing at the top of a page. Does it not get confused?

Yeah, when using a Pogo stylus if you rest your hand or wrist on the screen the stylus won't work and you'll wind up with images where your hand was. Bummer....:(

weenie

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
...I bought on the positive recomendations I saw, and boy was I ever a sucker!...
I did too, but I am not 100% disappointed as I could make some uses out of the app (i.e. quick sketch/note while in meeting, when can't find paper/pen urgently, jot down quick ideas, etc).

After only 2 days of use, it crashed several times on me so not happy.

PaperDesk was released today to compete against Penultimate. It has most of the features that people are complaining that Penultimate doesn't have. However, the freehand writing is not on-par with Penultimate - will need lots of work on that department.

Either Penultimate improves and implement additional features, or competition will take over soon IMHO.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
So which do you prefer? Stylus, Sketch, or finger?

They didn't have the Pogo Stylus. Only Sketch.

One reviewer online said the Stylus is more responsive than that Sketch. I hope someone else can answer that question.

and for people who don't like pen ultimate, its about potential I'm raving. This program NEEDS alot of stuff but the accuracy that you write in is UNMATCHED. Shows alot of potential. I would keep this one.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
They didn't have the Pogo Stylus. Only Sketch.

One reviewer online said the Stylus is more responsive than that Sketch. I hope someone else can answer that question.

and for people who don't like pen ultimate, its about potential I'm raving. This program NEEDS alot of stuff but the accuracy that you write in is UNMATCHED. Shows alot of potential. I would keep this one.

I have the sketch and it's ok but not great. I'd like to hear the difference (if any) between the stylus and sketch.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

It'll draw where your palms are as well. You have to be careful not to put your hands on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.