Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
The thing that sucks is there are alot of people not fond of an elongated 4s design, but that's what iPhone users are gonna get for the next 2yrs. Apple isn't going to pull off a total redesign for the 5s.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
The thing that sucks is there are alot of people not fond of an elongated 4s design, but that's what iPhone users are gonna get for the next 2yrs.
Blame the "men" with small hands who can't stand to have their iPhone get any wider. :rolleyes:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Blame the "men" with small hands who can't stand to have their iPhone get any wider. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure the adults with pre-pubescent hands are gonna hit that upper left app tile with ease. One inch may put that thing out of reach with tiny thumbs.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I did switch because I did not like what I saw in the leaks and thus far I'm not regretting it at all and absolutely love my One x.

But, and this is to the OP.
If you think those screenshots will make anyone switch you are mistaken.
I mean no offense but that setup and color combo is beyond ugly, sorry.

Good god those home screens are ugly and cluttered. Made me dizzy and want to vomit up my coffee.

I thought it was pretty self-explanatory: to express the hideous nature of cluttered garbage Android homescreens, in my opinion.

What can I clear up further for you?:D

Seriously???

Really people, this is the best you got? Flame related negative posts? The OP takes some time to share why he likes his device in an "alternative to iOS" thread and this is how you respond?

I guess courtesy is overrated in this thread, at least from the iOS fan side. Quite disappointed you either cannot or chose not to express your difference of opinion in a tactful or insightful manner.....:rolleyes:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Seriously???

Really people, this is the best you got? Flame related negative posts? The OP takes some time to share why he likes his device in an "alternative to iOS" thread and this is how you respond?

I guess courtesy is overrated in this thread, at least from the iOS fan side. Quite disappointed you either cannot or chose not to express your difference of opinion in a tactful or insightful manner.....:rolleyes:

If you think I'm being ugly, then just dont dance with me. ;)

Would you prefer for me to daintily imply the the surface aesthetics of that particular OS are are not to my particular palette due to its cluttered and random nature? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
There is no such thing as complete "courtesy" on this board.

I have recently posted that I was a long-time Apple iPhone user looking to switch to Galaxy S3 and wanted advice.

Wasn't long before someone -- without first checking my long track record on this forum -- accused me of purposely trolling.

I am surprised at the complete lack of Moderation going on within this board to control people's personal attacks.

Can we politely discuss another platform without people taking it personally and responding unkindly?

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I guess I just don't understand why some people get behind a keyboard and want to insult others.

The beauty of Android is one can make their screens as cluttered or uncluttered or set in any way the user wants. Beauty is in the eye of the owner.

----------

Agreed. With Android I feel you should either go stock or not at all, but even stock lacks the design finesse and polish of iOS.

Define finesse and polish.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
In what way?

The icons have a bad case of split personality disorder, there is inconsistency across the board (icon size, third party apps, widgets), some parts are still quite ugly and Tron-ish (Settings, home screen). There are essentially three animations, and they are simpler. On iOS when you launch an app there are a lot of subtle effects like the background stretching, the icons flying out, screen fading, that really create a cool illusion. When deleting a note/photo/e-mail the trash can opens and the content gets sucked in. Afterwards, the trash can closes and shakes. There are many small details that make the whole experience feel like it was lovingly developed by punctilious designers. On Jellybean there's just popping and fading, and things feel more crudely made.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Android is Java-based, and Java has always been slow slow slow and in this case it's a battery hog as well.

Apps are Java-based, the Android OS is not.

And, on a comparable processor, properly developed apps are not any slower than on iOS. The problem is when an iOS app is quickly just ported over, without doing any kind of optimization, that Android apps perform differently than their iOS counterparts.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
The icons have a bad case of split personality disorder, there is inconsistency across the board (icon size, third party apps, widgets), some parts are still quite ugly and Tron-ish (Settings, home screen). There are essentially three animations, and they are simpler. On iOS when you launch an app there are a lot of subtle effects like the background stretching, the icons flying out, screen fading, that really create a cool illusion. When deleting a note/photo/e-mail the trash can opens and the content gets sucked in. Afterwards, the trash can closes and shakes. There are many small details that make the whole experience feel like it was lovingly developed by punctilious designers. On Jellybean there's just popping and fading, and things feel more crudely made.

That's the point of Android. Let the user make it their own. If you like the cookie cutter template, stick with iOS.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Gotta love the iFaithful. They will say anything to justify their iOS and phones complete lack of features. If you own an iphone, you can "personalize" your phone by changing the wallpaper! Wow. Talk about making the phone 'yours' and 'different' from everyone else's. I always like seeing the screen shots from iphones. They are all identical. Wanna change the look of an icon. Sorry. Apple tells you what you can and can't do.

Now some will call the OP's screens ugly, gawdy or whatever... But guess what? At least he can make them his own. IPhone owners get a boring, common, unchanged grid of icons. But at least you have your wallpapers. Even if they are static, like your icons. :D

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
That's the point of Android. Let the user make it their own. If you like the cookie cutter template, stick with iOS.

Yeah that was a real insightful, intellectual comment that offered a good rebuttal. Customization is not a reason for ugly design.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Yeah that was a real insightful, intellectual comment that offered a good rebuttal. Customization is not a reason for ugly design.

If the end user is happy with it, what does it matter to you? Do you like every piece of art you look at in a museum? No, neither do I. Mona Lisa was a ugly broad. What you find ugly he might not. You might like dating fat chicks, he might like the skinny girls. You don't have to justify having Albert Haynesworth in uggs hanging off your arm to anyone.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Personally, I made the switch soon after the design was leaked.

Other people who are disappointed in the design but aren't switching are either:

1. People who are too invested into the iOS "ecosystem"
  2. People who have never used any other smartphone and don't like change
  3. People who would make the change but can't think for themselves so they let other iOS scare them away from switching.

4. Started with Android, hated it, moved to iOS. Not interested in going back. But then, that sorta disproves your points #2 and #3.

Gotta love the iFaithful. They will say anything to justify their iOS and phones complete lack of features. If you own an iphone, you can "personalize" your phone by changing the wallpaper! Wow. Talk about making the phone 'yours' and 'different' from everyone else's. I always like seeing the screen shots from iphones. They are all identical. Wanna change the look of an icon. Sorry. Apple tells you what you can and can't do.

You do realize that there is a large population of mobile device users that honestly don't care what other people think of their phones... right? If they like the way Apple designed the UI, and don't bother showing off their "super cool customized phone" to all of their friends, how exactly is iOS "lacking features?"

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
4. Started with Android, hated it, moved to iOS. Not interested in going back. But then, that sorta disproves your points #2 and #3.

You do realize that there is a large population of mobile device users that honestly don't care what other people think of their phones... right? If they like the way Apple designed the UI, and don't bother showing off their "super cool customized phone" to all of their friends, how exactly is iOS "lacking features?"

You do realize I didn't start this thread? And my post was a counterpoint.
I started with iOS, got bored with it and the complete lack of innovation, moved to Android. Not interested in going back. But then, that sorta proves my points. Your comment means zip to me. As I tell the iFans, enjoy your sandbox. Why are you posting in here? Bored with the rest of the forum? I can understand that.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
And I will support the OP. This is my Nex7 home and only screen. Widget on top to give me info on battery, space left on internal and external sd cards, ram used and how much my cpu is being tasked. All icons are customized. Icons can be placed in any position. Status Bar can add or delete icons depending on what I chose to see. Animations for screen to screen and app openings can be altered at will. I happen to have a 'cube' transition below.
Folders and dock can add as many icons and widgets as I choose. And if I want to change the entire look of my home screen, with different icons, widgets, etc.. Takes the push of a capacitive button. Say what you will, but this is true personalization. You make the phone yours, unlike with the iphone, where they all look the same. I choose to be different.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346097954098.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346097954098.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 113
  • uploadfromtaptalk1346097975731.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346097975731.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 96

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
You do realize I didn't start this thread? And my post was a counterpoint.
I started with iOS, got bored with it and the complete lack of innovation, moved to Android. Not interested in going back. But then, that sorta proves my points. Your comment means zip to me. As I tell the iFans, enjoy your sandbox. Why are you posting in here? Bored with the rest of the forum? I can understand that.

You do realize I quoted two posts, one of which wasn't yours... right?

As far as my response to YOUR comment, I was simply pointing out that not everyone wants to / cares to "make the phone their own," and a lack of customization isn't a "lack of innovation" for most. Are we not allowed to respond to counterpoints around here? Or just yours?

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I really wanted to switch, but it's a pity the best games are always on iOs. Ideally, I would even switch to Windows Phone which from all is my favorite UI experience.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Seriously???

Well first of I'm obviously not an pure iFan as I said I switched to Android.
And I did say it nicely with " I mean no offense ". :D
This was helpful criticism and meant to help his taste a little.

To put it another way the home screen were like ugly men, and time is to short to dance with them. :D
There better?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
If you think I'm being ugly, then just dont dance with me. ;)

Would you prefer for me to daintily imply the the surface aesthetics of that particular OS are are not to my particular palette due to its cluttered and random nature? :rolleyes:

Woulda been more tactful. I am sure we would have understood the words.

----------

Well first of I'm obviously not an pure iFan as I said I switched to Android.
And I did say it nicely with " I mean no offense ". :D
This was helpful criticism and meant to help his taste a little.

To put it another way the home screen were like ugly men, and time is to short to dance with them. :D
There better?

LOL!! yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.