Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
And, on a comparable processor, properly developed apps are not any slower than on iOS. .

It's not "properly developed" -- it's properly tailored to a Java platform.

Whether an app can run on Java well depends on what it does.
It depends on the type of app. Any app that does serious number crunching will suffer running as Dalvik bytecode.

Programmers have limited time -- especially hobbyists. Not everyone can get around to doing a properly tailored Java app whereas iOS offers an abundance of processing power and doesn't require extra modifications.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
No good android options.

S III - AMOLED screen burn in, dog**** color choice (white or blue)

One X - Old 45nm process, sealed in battery (bad for an Android phone)

Only real option spec wise would be the LG Optimus G but that's not even out yet.

Um, what? Ive never had or heard of a AMOLED burn in problem. I do think the new LG phone is nice. Seems to have the same screen the new iPhone will have....since they made it.

----------

False dichotomy.

We need to bring back the downvotes. Maybe if we vote these 1 star it will do the same thing.

How can we get that down vote back? Who do we send a message to?

----------

I will vote with my wallet. If the iPhone gets bigger, I won't buy one. My 4S will still work just fine.

Enjoy it for the rest of your life.....or till IT dies :D

----------

OP's screenshots are a UI trainwreck. Pass.

LOL, yeah they were ugly. It was Touchwiz with a bad setup...and that awful Cardinals wallpaper. You can have some real nice homescreens. That just wasnt one of them.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
2c.

I'm not interested in android at all... several reasons:

Java is a mess. vs native code, i have yet to see java compete in terms of cpu utilisation or speed on any platform.

So, given that java consumes more CPU and RAM, this means that Android phones will always have an impediment compared to other devices which run native code in terms of RAM and CPU requirement.

Which means - your android phone has a faster/more core CPU? More RAM? that's because it NEEDS it to run the same tasks.

More/faster CPUs need more power. Which means decreased battery life for the same watt/hr battery. Bigger battery? More weight.

Additionally, i'm yet to touch an android handset that doesn't feel plasticy and cheap.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Additionally, i'm yet to touch an android handset that doesn't feel plasticy and cheap.

I always got a kick out of this when iphone users state this. Because shoving a glass phone in an otterbox defender case or whatever silicone, TPU, or plastic case you decide to use reeks of class, elegance, and superior quality.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
2c.

I'm not interested in android at all... several reasons:

Java is a mess. vs native code, i have yet to see java compete in terms of cpu utilisation or speed on any platform.

So, given that java consumes more CPU and RAM, this means that Android phones will always have an impediment compared to other devices which run native code in terms of RAM and CPU requirement.

Which means - your android phone has a faster/more core CPU? More RAM? that's because it NEEDS it to run the same tasks.

More/faster CPUs need more power. Which means decreased battery life for the same watt/hr battery. Bigger battery? More weight.

Funny how the GS3 with 2Gb of RAM has better battery life than the 4S and the quad core GS3 with 1 GB of RAM has better battery life than the 4S :rolleyes:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Funny how the GS3 with 2Gb of RAM has better battery life than the 4S and the quad core GS3 with 1 GB of RAM has better battery life than the 4S :rolleyes:

Because it has a bigger battery and is physically bigger.

----------

I always got a kick out of this when iphone users state this. Because shoving a glass phone in an otterbox defender case or whatever silicone, TPU, or plastic case you decide to use reeks of class, elegance, and superior quality.

I have never used a case. I look after my stuff.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Because it has a bigger battery and is physically bigger.

Meaning what? It IS a lot physically bigger, which would need more power and it does many more things like multitask, and plays video while browsing other things. Thats a power eater. A lot bigger screen and according to you, needs so much power using Java so how could it possibly have a better battery life than the tiny 4S with no 4G, no NFC, no multitasking(just to name a few) and a much small screen?

Yeah the battery is bigger but still....so did my Vibrant. It had a bigger battery than your iPhone and the battery wasnt as good. Not like the GS3 battery is twice the size of the 4S.

Last edited:

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Programmers have limited time -- especially hobbyists. Not everyone can get around to doing a properly tailored Java app whereas iOS offers an abundance of processing power and doesn't require extra modifications.

Are you implying that only hobbyists write Android apps?

Are you implying that an iPhone has significantly that much more processing power than current devices running Android?

As an EE who has designed hardware for, and written apps for, both Android devices and iPhones, I can say unequivocally that you are wrong on both counts.

mikelpr

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Mexico
Android is Java-based, and Java has always been slow slow slow and in this case it's a battery hog as well.

While Android uses Java as its language, it is not slow at all. Dalvik (Android's Java VM) is fast and you can get the same speed as C or other native apps most of the time just using Java. But native code is always faster, yet for stuff that requires speed you can use the NDK.

----------

You have yet to touch an One X :)

----------

On Jellybean there's just popping and fading, and things feel more crudely made.

Ugh I must say I quite hate that popping. I really like the ICS TV-like transition when an app is opened much more than this new zoom in transition.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Ugh I must say I quite hate that popping. I really like the ICS TV-like transition when an app is opened much more than this new zoom in transition.

Yes, that old animation was much better. The new one adds an awkward sense of dimension, and honestly makes it seem iOS-ey.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
OP has a very good point, but for me, no other phone has yet to hit that sweet spot. The One X was going to do it for me, but 16gig storage (about 10 usable) is a joke :mad:. SGIII is just too damn ugly (The colors don't do anything for me either - I don't want white and that blue is horrid). I'm holding out hope for the next Nexus.

All things said, there's just nothing like a jailbroken iPhone. What's frustrating is, it would be the perfect phone @ 4.3" (not this 2" wide 16:9 thing).

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Serious question... I am not trying to start an argument or troll.

I have had every iPhone model at launch. I have also tried several Android phones over the years too. Apple has always managed a way to reel me back in.

I sold my 4S last month and tried an unlocked Galaxy Nexus (Play Store) and then moved over to an AT&T Galaxy S3. I am currently in a 30 day trial... so if Apple wows me on Sept 12, I will have time to cancel this contract and return the GS3.

I have read many complaints on these boards. Some about iPhone leaked design. Some about iOS6.

Many people want a larger and wider screen... not just taller.
Some are also asking for a redesign of the OS. Better notification system. Widgets. Settings shortcuts. True multitasking. LTE 4G. NFC. Loss of Google Maps and Youtube.

Android has something to please many of these wishes. Why don't you try it on for size. Many have these complaints of Apple's lack of change... but you all still buy what Apple delivers. Why not vote with your wallet?

Here are some screens from my GS3:
2cgd1dv.jpg
23wmhyu.jpg

11186jd.jpg
350w1dy.jpg

5oe33b.jpg
miykhz.jpg

71s741.jpg
34y1eus.jpg

The operating system is independent of the hardware's design.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Um, what? Ive never had or heard of a AMOLED burn in problem. I do think the new LG phone is nice. Seems to have the same screen the new iPhone will have....since they made it.

I think it's an ignorant comment. We have 3 (rooted) t898 sgs2's with amoled we have had since they came out (the wife has a jailbroken 4s). NONE of them have screen burn in at all. The 1.5 snapdragon S3 IS faster than the 4s in pretty much every way. The battery power is less on the s2's though.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Personally, I made the switch soon after the design was leaked.

Other people who are disappointed in the design but aren't switching are either:

1. People who are too invested into the iOS "ecosystem"
  2. People who have never used any other smartphone and don't like change
  3. People who would make the change but can't think for themselves so they let other iOS scare them away from switching.

This.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
It doesn't! That just shows that the GSIII is great with connectivity with external devices, but in terms of number of games and quality of those, iOs is unfortunately way better.

If you say so. If you are into screen touch gaming. I'd rather be able to play Nintendo, Play station, Android and iOS games (which are ported) with a real controller. That's just me though. I've owned lots of iPhones and ipad in the last 5 years. There aren't many quality games on ios that aren't on android. But I will take games like NOVA 3, Modern Combat 3, CHAOS, Mass Effect, Dead Trigger and GTA III on the S3 or Nex7 with a PS3 controller any day over an iphone or ipad trying to use a touchscreen as a controller. And that isn't even getting into older games like Super Mario Bros, Super. Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Tecmo Super Bowl, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc (which are all games I remember playing in high school and college.)

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
If you say so. If you are into screen touch gaming. I'd rather be able to play Nintendo, Play station, Android and iOS games (which are ported) with a real controller. That's just me though. I've owned lots of iPhones and ipad in the last 5 years. There aren't many quality games on ios that aren't on android. But I will take games like NOVA 3, Modern Combat 3, CHAOS, Mass Effect, Dead Trigger and GTA III on the S3 or Nex7 with a PS3 controller any day over an iphone or ipad trying to use a touchscreen as a controller. And that isn't even getting into older games like Super Mario Bros, Super. Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Tecmo Super Bowl, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc (which are all games I remember playing in high school and college.)

I play a lot of games, like Tiny Wings, FieldRunners 2, etc, so basically casual games and they are much better and come much earlier to iOs. If I like to play with a controller, means I'm normally at home, so I would just turn on my PS3.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I play a lot of games, like Tiny Wings, FieldRunners 2, etc, so basically casual games and they are much better and come much earlier to iOs. If I like to play with a controller, means I'm normally at home, so I would just turn on my PS3.

Got ya. Have you played FieldRunners on an Android device like the S3 to know if ios is better? Or Jetpack Joyride? Don't think you have a clear perspective if you haven't. I have, however. That said, iOS does get these sort of games first and does have many more small name developers making quality apps.

And while I have functioning SNES, PS2, PS3, Wii and PC gaming consoles/rigs none of them can go anywhere with me. And I do have a mobile game rig for my PS3 controller and S3. Or I can play on any tv with an hdmi input (say at a hotel). Complete game console fun the size of a phone. Then when I want to present a power point presentation or work with coworkers/friends in a meeting, simply connect a bt mouse and keyboard (Apple's iMac keyboard and a magic Mouse work perfectly) and the S3 now functions as a pc. A mouse pointer pops up on screen and all files, folders and apps click to open.

My portable game rig looks similar to this:
2012-07-18+21.08.56.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Got ya. Have you played FieldRunners on an Android device like the S3 to know if ios is better? Or Jetpack Joyride? Don't think you have a clear perspective if you haven't. I have, however. That said, iOS does get these sort of games first and does have many more small name developers making quality apps.

And while I have functioning SNES, PS2, PS3, Wii and PC gaming consoles/rigs none of them can go anywhere with me. And I do have a mobile game rig for my PS3 controller and S3. Or I can play on any tv with an hdmi input (say at a hotel). Complete game console fun the size of a phone. Then when I want to present a power point presentation or work with coworkers/friends in a meeting, simply connect a bt mouse and keyboard (Apple's iMac keyboard and a magic Mouse work perfectly) and the S3 now functions as a pc. A mouse pointer pops up on screen and all files, folders and apps click to open.

My portable game rig looks similar to this:
2012-07-18+21.08.56.jpg

C'mon, do you really carry your controller with you all the time? Most games come first to iOs and many never even come. Again, trust me, I would love if they would come, would make my switch easy, but in fact, not really..

Was actually funny the other day a guy was showing me a great game he had that was just released: Dark Meadow. Guess what I told him? - Humm? I already finished it in my iPhone...

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
C'mon, do you really carry your controller with you all the time? Most games come first to iOs and many never even come. Again, trust me, I would love if they would come, would make my switch easy, but in fact, not really..

Was actually funny the other day a guy was showing me a great game he had that was just released: Dark Meadow. Guess what I told him? - Humm? I already finished it in my iPhone...
No, I don't take my controller everywhere with me, just if I am gonna be waiting a while somewhere. I usually have a backpack with me in cases like this, so it is no issue.
But, like I said, I know what you are saying about games like the ones you mentioned

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I NEED THAT. Where can I get one for a Galaxy Nexus?

I made my own. This can be done for any phone that can sync with a ps3 controller. The only part that can be hard to find is the Sony PS3 wireless mini keyboard 'clear' plastic part as seen in the photo. It has to be the clear plastic, as the new black style won't work for our purposes.

If you can find one, all you need are parts from a Home Depot type store and any old rear case cover for your phone. I wanted mine adjustable, so got a small wedge hinge, 3" long fine thread screw, 2 bolts, hinge mount from a go pro camera (since I had a bunch) and spring for tension. Without the spring and screw acting against one another, this phone would flop back and forth on the hinge.
May not look pretty, but I throw this in a backpack all the time and haven't had it come apart or fail me once. It's functional and cost me next to nothing. You can do the same.

Attachments

• 20120908_163858.jpg
    20120908_163858.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • ps3 b.jpg
    ps3 b.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.