Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirk77777

Suspended
Aug 25, 2020
dosdude1 hello, I am doing the 4th early macbook about 15 2011, the firmware was successful, but this laptop, from the very purchase, worked only for 10 win, and the macos was removed, and now I seem to have problems with efi, the recovery does not work and does not work internet recovery, I read that the apple was updating the recovery for macbooks, ubuntu is being installed, but i cant install mac os, advise something pls

kirk77777

Suspended
Aug 25, 2020
all working, in this macbook, not working internet recovery, but i won this macbook,

Attachments

• 2DFCD371-E8E8-4958-A92E-CF25C1AB5650.jpeg
    2DFCD371-E8E8-4958-A92E-CF25C1AB5650.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: trifero

flybabo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019
I updated Dosdude's gMux firmware and it definitely fixed the display problem.
However, my 15" MacBook failed to boot.
It got stuck near the end of progress bar and turned off by itself after several minutes.
I ran the Apple diagnosis program and it reported an error on the logic board.
Error code "4SNS/1/40000001:VGOC-0.000" corresponds to video sub system error.
I tried to reinstall OS using the internet recovery but DiskUtil couldn't load the drives.
Any clues?
Thanks!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I updated Dosdude's gMux firmware and it definitely fixed the display problem.
However, my 15" MacBook failed to boot.
It got stuck near the end of progress bar and turned off by itself after several minutes.
I ran the Apple diagnosis program and it reported an error on the logic board.
Error code "4SNS/1/40000001:VGOC-0.000" corresponds to video sub system error.
I tried to reinstall OS using the internet recovery but DiskUtil couldn't load the drives.
Any clues?
Thanks!
The sensor error is normal, that's just it telling you that GPU VCORE is 0V. If Disk Utility hangs or will not detect your drives, your hard disk is most likely dead. Either way, DeMux will not cause any boot issues.

flybabo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019
The sensor error is normal, that's just it telling you that GPU VCORE is 0V. If Disk Utility hangs or will not detect your drives, your hard disk is most likely dead. Either way, DeMux will not cause any boot issues.
I took out the hard disk, put it on an external USB drive case, reformatted the MacOS partition and successfully installed the High-Sierra. Works great. Any update on the bootcamp?
Thanks for all your hard works!

Risible

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
dosdude1 - Fixing and updating late 2011 17” MacBook Pro – order of work....

I would like to resuscitate my late 2011 17" MacBook Pro which I abandoned last year when it started displaying the classic AMD chip failure symptoms - pink stripes, grey and white screens, crashes. I'm thinking I'll pay to get your no solder, firmware patch applied which I understand is permanent. I would also like to replace the hard drive with an SSD and upgrade from OS X Lion 10.7.5 to High Sierra.

My question is – what order should I do these things in?

And before doing any of them, can I safely do the software solution just to get the machine going again long enough to back up and clone the drive before I take it to the repair shop? (I have legacy software which I would like to be able to use again.)

Thanks.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
dosdude1 - Fixing and updating late 2011 17” MacBook Pro – order of work....

I would like to resuscitate my late 2011 17" MacBook Pro which I abandoned last year when it started displaying the classic AMD chip failure symptoms - pink stripes, grey and white screens, crashes. I'm thinking I'll pay to get your no solder, firmware patch applied which I understand is permanent. I would also like to replace the hard drive with an SSD and upgrade from OS X Lion 10.7.5 to High Sierra.

My question is – what order should I do these things in?

And before doing any of them, can I safely do the software solution just to get the machine going again long enough to back up and clone the drive before I take it to the repair shop? (I have legacy software which I would like to be able to use again.)

Thanks.
It can really be done in any order you'd like. It would probably be easiest to perform the DeMux flash first, though, that way you don't have to constantly re-apply the software patch every time you install or update macOS. Applying the software patch will indeed get the machine to a usable state where you can backup data and whatnot, but just be aware it will probably have to be re-applied if you update the OS.

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
@dosdude1

I have a MBP 15in 8,2 (early 2011) that I had sent to you to flash deMux a while back....IDK, I think in 2019.... The deMux is doing a great job, and I've even recently put Catalina on it. So thanks again!

Anyway, at that time, after flashing you mentioned that backlight control would be on the battery test button (which it is and works). But I see now that native/normal support should work. Is there a way to get my MBP to get native backlight without reflashing the chip? The backlight patch for Mojave and Catalina do not change anything and the battery button continues to work for that function.

This is not big deal, but I just thought I'd confirm with you? (For my main notebook, I've moved on to a MBP 16in, so the 8,2 MBP is relegated to testing duty mostly....)

THanks!

Finny.

Risible

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
It can really be done in any order you'd like. It would probably be easiest to perform the DeMux flash first, though, that way you don't have to constantly re-apply the software patch every time you install or update macOS. Applying the software patch will indeed get the machine to a usable state where you can backup data and whatnot, but just be aware it will probably have to be re-applied if you update the OS.
Thanks for your prompt response. I note that your software patch affects sleep and brightness operation, which hopefully wouldn't be a problem short-term. But does it also lead to the over-heating issue I have read about? (I see there are other software solutions available - possibly based on yours - which claim to deal with all 3 of these issues.)

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Thanks for your prompt response. I note that your software patch affects sleep and brightness operation, which hopefully wouldn't be a problem short-term. But does it also lead to the over-heating issue I have read about? (I see there are other software solutions available - possibly based on yours - which claim to deal with all 3 of these issues.)
NO brightness control problem, since the patch. NO sleep problems. No overheating problems. At least for me, Macbook pro 17" 2011. Almost two years gMuxed

Risible

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
NO brightness control problem, since the patch. NO sleep problems. No overheating problems. At least for me, Macbook pro 17" 2011. Almost two years gMuxed
Thanks for that, but you may have misunderstood me. I was referring to dosdude1's software solution (http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/) which I'd like to employ before taking the MacBook to the repair shop for the deMux IC Bypass. His page says: <After performing the steps below, sleep mode and brightness control will NOT work properly on your system.>

Hopefully it wouldn't be a problem for a short time. I'd be more concerned about overheating though.

But if you didn't misunderstand me and there is a patch for those issues, am I looking at the wrong page? (Though I'm now wondering if any of the software solutions I've seen work with OS X Lion 10.7.5 because I've read it doesn't have the csrutil disable command.)

There is so much info online dealing with the 2011 MacBook problem - which is fantastic and I'm full of admiration for all the clever bods who've applied their minds to it over the years, especially dosdude1 - but it does mean it's impossible to know if what we're reading is accurate and up to date - or long since superceded!

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
Thanks for that, but you may have misunderstood me. I was referring to dosdude1's software solution (http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/) which I'd like to employ before taking the MacBook to the repair shop for the deMux IC Bypass. His page says: <After performing the steps below, sleep mode and brightness control will NOT work properly on your system.>

Hopefully it wouldn't be a problem for a short time. I'd be more concerned about overheating though.

But if you didn't misunderstand me and there is a patch for those issues, am I looking at the wrong page? (Though I'm now wondering if any of the software solutions I've seen work with OS X Lion 10.7.5 because I've read it doesn't have the csrutil disable command.)

There is so much info online dealing with the 2011 MacBook problem - which is fantastic and I'm full of admiration for all the clever bods who've applied their minds to it over the years, especially dosdude1 - but it does mean it's impossible to know if what we're reading is accurate and up to date - or long since superceded!

Hi. I never had any thermal issues with my Macbook Pro 8,2, which I believe is very similar to your Macbook Pro 17in.

Prior to sending my MBP to dosdude1 for mail-in rework (deMux), I was doing the EFI software fix to disable the dGPU, and (as I mentioned) never had any thermal issues. I also was able to solve (at the time) the other "issues" you mention.

Attached is the process PDF doc I put together for myself about doing all this, including making Continuity work. Maybe you will find it helpful.... (I posted this doc here (I believe in the Mojave for unsupported Macs thread) back in July 2019...

That all being said, I cannot recommend dosdude1's deMux solution enough. It is SOOOO much easier not having to worry about NVRAM resets and scripting just because the AMD GPU is borked on my MBP 8,2. Much easier to work with the machine now, and try out new macOS versions. (I'm currently running Catalina, but have tried Mojave, Big Sur, and even Monterey. Probably wouldn't have done that testing if I'd have had to monkey with NVRAM and the scripts and .kext hacks.

My MBP 8,2 officially supports APFS, and Apple even released a Firmware update for it (MBP) back in 2020 (via a High Sierra update). I'm glad I went back recently and installed High Sierra to get the firmware up to the latest.
(87.0.0.0.0).

I have no show-stopper issues so far running Catalina, and no issues with thermal....it runs as cool as (if not cooler than) with official High Sierra. One thing...I DO recommend and run Turbo Boost Switcher Pro to disable Turbo boost on all my Macs (iMac20, MacMini8,1, MacBookPro16,0, and MacbookPro8,2). I then only enable Turbo Boost for specific CPU intensive tasks (like video encoding with HandBrake).

Finny.

Attachments

• MBP2011-Mojave - dGPU + CAT fix.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Hi. I never had any thermal issues with my Macbook Pro 8,2, which I believe is very similar to your Macbook Pro 17in.

Prior to sending my MBP to dosdude1 for mail-in rework (deMux), I was doing the EFI software fix to disable the dGPU, and (as I mentioned) never had any thermal issues. I also was able to solve (at the time) the other "issues" you mention.

Attached is the process PDF doc I put together for myself about doing all this, including making Continuity work. Maybe you will find it helpful.... (I posted this doc here (I believe in the Mojave for unsupported Macs thread) back in July 2019...

That all being said, I cannot recommend dosdude1's deMux solution enough. It is SOOOO much easier not having to worry about NVRAM resets and scripting just because the AMD GPU is borked on my MBP 8,2. Much easier to work with the machine now, and try out new macOS versions. (I'm currently running Catalina, but have tried Mojave, Big Sur, and even Monterey. Probably wouldn't have done that testing if I'd have had to monkey with NVRAM and the scripts and .kext hacks.

My MBP 8,2 officially supports APFS, and Apple even released a Firmware update for it (MBP) back in 2020 (via a High Sierra update). I'm glad I went back recently and installed High Sierra to get the firmware up to the latest.
(87.0.0.0.0).

I have no show-stopper issues so far running Catalina, and no issues with thermal....it runs as cool as (if not cooler than) with official High Sierra. One thing...I DO recommend and run Turbo Boost Switcher Pro to disable Turbo boost on all my Macs (iMac20, MacMini8,1, MacBookPro16,0, and MacbookPro8,2). I then only enable Turbo Boost for specific CPU intensive tasks (like video encoding with HandBrake).

Finny.
Same here, as I said earlier.

Risible

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
Thanks Finny. I appreciate the help. But I have to confess your method looks rather more complicated than the other one, and may be too technical for me - we'll see...!

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
Thanks Finny. I appreciate the help. But I have to confess your method looks rather more complicated than the other one, and may be too technical for me - we'll see...!
@Risible - Sounds good, and you are welcome!

As I seem to remember, the complicated part is that after disabling the dGPU in PRAM/NVRAM, you need to do the .kext "dance" to get backlight and sleep working correctly.

If you don't need Continuity, you can skip that section completely, or address it well after you are up and running with macOS install.

Just so you know, if you spend the $60 w/dosdude1 to mail-in and have him permanently disable the dGPU (deMux) with the gMux firmware update, most all of the "complicatedness" goes away. I just updated my MBP 8,2 (Early 2011 15in) with dosdude1 Catalina patcher version, and there was really no complication whatsoever....in fact, I didn't even have to boot to the USB to apply any patches after the initial install....it booted to desktop all by itself.

Finny

kirk77777

Suspended
Aug 25, 2020
hello everyone, another mac15 fixed , thanks
have you heard anything about bigsur yet?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2021-12-30 в 20.02.54.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-12-30 в 20.02.54.png
    1 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

kirk77777

Suspended
Aug 25, 2020
318169AB-391E-44F8-90F2-880D890D238E.jpeg

windows pe 10, working, without video driver on gpu and sound do not working, but working fast. win pe do not install drivers when you connect to internet

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
Where is connected the USB32HDPRO?
Hi. I assume you were replying to me (I must've missed the email about your reply).

It was connected to the usb output of the mbp.

Back when I made this post about this issue, I had also already went through some "troubleshooting" attempts with displaylink agent. No use, they barely tried. Said it's not their issue though, because the mac doesn't natively support catalina.

I haven't been able to use my mbp since this issue.
Edit: @dosdude1 , do you have any advice/suggestions? Is there a way to get this working?

Last edited:

jeffotskie26

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2022
Here is my version... No need to take out the logicboard.
Don't forget to remove R8911. I prefer rotating it 90˚ on one of the pins (see picture).
Tested with El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra (clean install from USB on actual modified MacBook Pro 15).
Same limitations apply:
• External video not working
• Brightness not working
hello i tried this solution many times for a1286 15inch mbp 820-2915 and didnt failed me thank you for that. so now i have a1297 820-2914-a got gpu problem aswell. just wana ask if you have like this solution.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
@trifero Aren't you using the exact same model mbp as me, running catalina with the @dosdude1's patcher, AND an external monitor?

If anyone can help me out with some definitive answer (as in: if there's a solution or not), so I can either get this mbp working with an external monitor (using some type of adapter like I have) OR so I can move on, and chalk this up to an almost total waste of time and money, I'd genuinely appreciate it.

Thanks.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
@trifero Aren't you using the exact same model mbp as me, running catalina with the @dosdude1's patcher, AND an external monitor?

If anyone can help me out with some definitive answer (as in: if there's a solution or not), so I can either get this mbp working with an external monitor (using some type of adapter like I have) OR so I can move on, and chalk this up to an almost total waste of time and money, I'd genuinely appreciate it.

Thanks.
Yes, but connected to a USB 3.0 port, as I said earlier.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
Yes, but connected to a USB 3.0 port, as I said earlier.
The mbp doesn't have a usb 3.0 port.
I honestly can't tell if you're trying to assist me in getting this working, or just letting me know you have yours working - and that I'm stupid :/

Are you telling me that if I buy either this product: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LOLBBQQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3PKLGHD2IQAQ6&th=1

OR

this product
: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PY194CK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=&psc=1

that either one of these products will solve my issue with external monitor not working?

(because the $100+ displaylink adapter I've already bought for this is wasted).

Thanks.

(Any other people roaming this thread that read this and have done the same setup/solution, please help. Thank you.)

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
The mbp doesn't have a usb 3.0 port.
I honestly can't tell if you're trying to assist me in getting this working, or just letting me know you have yours working - and that I'm stupid :/

Are you telling me that if I buy either this product: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LOLBBQQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3PKLGHD2IQAQ6&th=1

OR

this product
: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PY194CK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=&psc=1

that either one of these products will solve my issue with external monitor not working?

(because the $100+ displaylink adapter I've already bought for this is wasted).

Thanks.

(Any other people roaming this thread that read this and have done the same setup/solution, please help. Thank you.)

Please, don´t direct to me any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.