Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
@trifero Aren't you using the exact same model mbp as me, running catalina with the @dosdude1's patcher, AND an external monitor?

If anyone can help me out with some definitive answer (as in: if there's a solution or not), so I can either get this mbp working with an external monitor (using some type of adapter like I have) OR so I can move on, and chalk this up to an almost total waste of time and money, I'd genuinely appreciate it.

Thanks.

Yes, but connected to a USB 3.0 port, as I said earlier.

So...I would like to know the definitive answer for this as well. If we add a Thunderbolt ->USB 3.0 adapter, and then a USB 3.0-> to display (HDMI?) adapter, will this work for a 2nd Monitor on a HW dMux(ed) MBP 8,2?

I have a specific use-case in mind for Karaoke and K-Jams 2. Currently K-Jams 2 64bit is in Alpha, and it is still almost unusable and unreliable. As the developer works thru bulletproofing the 64bit version, if I could go back to Mojave on my MBP 8,2, and then use the 32bit version of K-Jams 2, that would be ideal. However, that would also require a 2nd Monitor on my HW dMux(ed) MBP 8,2 for tracking the Karaoke Lyrics for Singers.

I can confirm that on my MBP 8,2 Thunderbolt to Ethernet works great (tested on Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey). I was thinking of picking up the adapters for trying to get Thunderbolt ->USB3.0->HDMI, but due to the high $$$ did not want to spend until I had reasonable confidence in a confirmed working solution.

Appreciate any and all feedback from the team here. Thanks!

Finny

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
@Finbarr Cnaipe
Amazon has a seller/listing with some of the "Kanex KTU10" (the one with esata); they're "used". I'm gonna try one. It should be here within a week, supposedly.

I'll try connecting like this: MBP Thunderbolt port -> KTU10's USB 3.0 port -> USB32HDPRO -> HDMI cable -> External monitor.
Make sense?

I'll either share the results here, or in a new thread.
(Searching either of those adapter's model numbers should bring up their details). I hope it works.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
So...I would like to know the definitive answer for this as well. If we add a Thunderbolt ->USB 3.0 adapter, and then a USB 3.0-> to display (HDMI?) adapter, will this work for a 2nd Monitor on a HW dMux(ed) MBP 8,2?

I have a specific use-case in mind for Karaoke and K-Jams 2. Currently K-Jams 2 64bit is in Alpha, and it is still almost unusable and unreliable. As the developer works thru bulletproofing the 64bit version, if I could go back to Mojave on my MBP 8,2, and then use the 32bit version of K-Jams 2, that would be ideal. However, that would also require a 2nd Monitor on my HW dMux(ed) MBP 8,2 for tracking the Karaoke Lyrics for Singers.

I can confirm that on my MBP 8,2 Thunderbolt to Ethernet works great (tested on Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey). I was thinking of picking up the adapters for trying to get Thunderbolt ->USB3.0->HDMI, but due to the high $$$ did not want to spend until I had reasonable confidence in a confirmed working solution.

Appreciate any and all feedback from the team here. Thanks!

Finny
Firstable, apologize for the delay in answering. It is some moths that I gave the Macbook pro 17" to my brother, demuxed with the great soft of @dosdude1 . So I have asked him to borrow me, as I want to include some pictures.

As I have always said, you can look for my posts, I have been using the demuxed Macbook Pro with an external monitor, Apple Led Cinema Display 27", connected to my Startech adapter. Well, that is not exact. Sometimes I have been working connected to 2 Apple Led Cinema Display 27", in clamshell mode. I dont recommend use the two monitors together the display of the Macbook. It´s very laggy ans unresponsive. You don´t need the Thunderbolt adapter, a Expresscard is just fine, and much cheaper. You just need an USB 3.0 port, as I said so many times.

I include picures of my adapter, and the setup in clamshell and normal. Hope it helps. Also made a little video where can be seen how nice it works. Send me a private message if you want me to send it to you. As I have always said, if I can help in any more, just tell me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 603
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Same setup, connected to a Kanex KTU10, and an Startech TB2USB3ES.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: kirk77777

SOUMITRA BARMAN

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2020
Bangalore
Does anybody receive an error regarding licensing server? I have purchased demux key but whenever I open demux.exe it shows "the licensing server could not be reached. Please check your internet connection and try again."

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 99

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Does anybody receive an error regarding licensing server? I have purchased demux key but whenever I open demux.exe it shows "the licensing server could not be reached. Please check your internet connection and try again."
Nop here. Three macbooks demuxed without any problem. The date on Windows is right?

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Nope. I took mines to a professional solder. In fact, cables are still there, in case is necessary in a future.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
Anyone feel free to please correct me on any mistakes below, which actual corrections/explanations to where and how I'm mistaken. Thanks.

I'll try connecting like this: MBP Thunderbolt port -> KTU10's USB 3.0 port -> USB32HDPRO -> HDMI cable -> External monitor.
This is what I've just tried, having received the KTU10 Unit. It is a fail; doesn't work.
I don't think he's paying attention to your specific MBP model.
I would say don't buy any adapters, based on my experience. At least not if you're using dosdude1 Catalina Patcher. When I was running High Sierra, the USB32HDPRO displaylink adapter worked just fine. When I upgraded to Catalina is when it stopped working. The Kanex KTU10 adapter did not resolve anything.

Displaylink support will not provide assistance either, because the MBP model does not officially support Catalina.
I have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 15", A1286, 8,2 -- which I think is the same model as yours(?).
I've used 'everymac' ultimate lookup to check, and from what I can see (and what I know about my own model) none of these models have a freakin' usb 3.0 port.
So, unless your Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 8,2 has a usb 3.0 port, then this type of "advice" doesn't seem to make sense...
You just need an USB 3.0 port, as I said so many times.
If you look at the images this character provided after trolling me, you'll see what appears to be a blue usb 3.0 port on the side of whatever model MB is being used in the image. (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, I've read that just the blue color alone doesn't necessarily mean it's a usb 3.0). I'd like to know, just out of curiosity though, what exact model this apple genius is showing in this image.
Their "signature" lists them as having owned these models: (Mac Pro 3,1) (Mac Pro 4,1—>5,1) (Mac Pro 5,1) (Mac Mini 6,2) (Macbook Pro 8,3) (Macbook Pro 11,4) (Macbook 10,1). The only one close to a MBP 8,2 (which you say you own, and is also what I own) is the "Macbook Pro 8,3". But the specs lookup I did for the MBP 8,3 doesn't say that it has any usb 3.0 port(s) at all. So this doesn't really make sense to me.

6-jpeg.1943909

So based on my experience of attempting to get a simple, helpful, concise, genuine attempt to help out or confirm if this works or not (on this site), and trying to get support from displaylink customer service, and having spent several hundred dollars on adapters now, I would say that if you want to go past High Sierra with a dosdude1 gmux ic bypassed *Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 15", A1286, 8,2* - then you're not gonna be able to use an external monitor.
I would love to be proven wrong (shown how) though, in a way that results in me being able to use an external monitor with mine - running catalina.

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
Anyone feel free to please correct me on any mistakes below, which actual corrections/explanations to where and how I'm mistaken. Thanks.

This is what I've just tried, having received the KTU10 Unit. It is a fail; doesn't work.

I don't think he's paying attention to your specific MBP model.

I would say don't buy any adapters, based on my experience. At least not if you're using dosdude1 Catalina Patcher. When I was running High Sierra, the USB32HDPRO displaylink adapter worked just fine. When I upgraded to Catalina is when it stopped working. The Kanex KTU10 adapter did not resolve anything.

Displaylink support will not provide assistance either, because the MBP model does not officially support Catalina.
I have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 15", A1286, 8,2 -- which I think is the same model as yours(?).
I've used 'everymac' ultimate lookup to check, and from what I can see (and what I know about my own model) none of these models have a freakin' usb 3.0 port.
So, unless your Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 8,2 has a usb 3.0 port, then this type of "advice" doesn't seem to make sense...

If you look at the images this character provided after trolling me, you'll see what appears to be a blue usb 3.0 port on the side of whatever model MB is being used in the image. (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, I've read that just the blue color alone doesn't necessarily mean it's a usb 3.0). I'd like to know, just out of curiosity though, what exact model this apple genius is showing in this image.
Their "signature" lists them as having owned these models: (Mac Pro 3,1) (Mac Pro 4,1—>5,1) (Mac Pro 5,1) (Mac Mini 6,2) (Macbook Pro 8,3) (Macbook Pro 11,4) (Macbook 10,1). The only one close to a MBP 8,2 (which you say you own, and is also what I own) is the "Macbook Pro 8,3". But the specs lookup I did for the MBP 8,3 doesn't say that it has any usb 3.0 port(s) at all. So this doesn't really make sense to me.

6-jpeg.1943909

So based on my experience of attempting to get a simple, helpful, concise, genuine attempt to help out or confirm if this works or not (on this site), and trying to get support from displaylink customer service, and having spent several hundred dollars on adapters now, I would say that if you want to go past High Sierra with a dosdude1 gmux ic bypassed *Late 2011 Macbook Pro, 15", A1286, 8,2* - then you're not gonna be able to use an external monitor.
I would love to be proven wrong (shown how) though, in a way that results in me being able to use an external monitor with mine - running catalina

I looks like he is using the ExpressCard (PCMCIA) slot to get USB 3.0 port. If that could be sourced today in 2022, then I suppose that could work as alternative to Thunderbolt -> USB 3.0...

Reactions: Aguymac

16v

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2018
If you look close enough to this pic, i'm sure you can see 4USB ports. And like you said, you cheked the specs, there is no macbook pro with 4 usb ports.

It is a pcmcia/expresscard with 2 usb ports.

And these are only available for 17inch books.

Next time spend some money for glasses!
Now you can spend some money for usb3 cards...

slimmy18222

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2017
Italy
I recently found this one, which is correct: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263276278399
Hello @dosdude1! I purchased this "as is" MBP 15'' early 2011, and it looks like someone tried your gMux IC Bypass, isn't that? Anyway as show in the pics, there are still video artifacts just after turn on the mac, that would persist even apply the code to bypass the AMD graphics. That could be bad CPU graphics? It's al very slow and somehow not reactive sometimes. Any suggestion how to proceed fixing this machine? Tanks!

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Hello @dosdude1! I purchased this "as is" MBP 15'' early 2011, and it looks like someone tried your gMux IC Bypass, isn't that? Anyway as show in the pics, there are still video artifacts just after turn on the mac, that would persist even apply the code to bypass the AMD graphics. That could be bad CPU graphics? It's al very slow and somehow not reactive sometimes. Any suggestion how to proceed fixing this machine? Tanks!

View attachment 1972997
View attachment 1972996
Looks like whoever did it removed the gMux IC completely, so there's really nothing you can do software-wise. My best recommendation would be to just get another really cheap MBP logic board with dead GPU and swap it in, then flash my DeMux firmware on it. Of course you could also just install a 2012 board since it's a 15". Or, if you have the capability, you can solder on another Lattice LFXP2-5E FPGA, remove all the wires, then flash DeMux on that.

slimmy18222

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2017
Italy
Looks like whoever did it removed the gMux IC completely, so there's really nothing you can do software-wise. My best recommendation would be to just get another really cheap MBP logic board with dead GPU and swap it in, then flash my DeMux firmware on it. Of course you could also just install a 2012 board since it's a 15". Or, if you have the capability, you can solder on another Lattice LFXP2-5E FPGA, remove all the wires, then flash DeMux on that
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Not a problem to solder a new Lattice LFXP2-5E FPGA and flash it. But this will really worth it? There is any way to exclude that is CPU problem related?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Not a problem to solder a new Lattice LFXP2-5E FPGA and flash it. But this will really worth it? There is any way to exclude that is CPU problem related?
Yeah, I had that exact issue with the wire mod on some systems, back when I used to do that. It has to do with the particular model LCD panel in it and direct routing to LVDS output of iGPU. That issue will not occur with my DeMux firmware applied.

Mr.Fly

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2022
Hello @dosdude1
I recently picked up this 2012 15 inch MCP for it's display as I ripped the webcam cable on my 2010. The pawn shop selling it said that the motherboard was dead, however, after opening it up I saw that somebody performed a gMux bypass and desoldered the vRam chips. I managed to solder back the damaged wires and add those that were completely missing. Not sure if I missed a wire but here's the results I got.
Also after reading the post above I tried to see what would happen on a different display and all I got was a black screen.
Any advise will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Just comment that Monterey OCLP in my macbook Pro 17" demuxed is at last working so nice. These people is incredible.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Hello @dosdude1
I recently picked up this 2012 15 inch MCP for it's display as I ripped the webcam cable on my 2010. The pawn shop selling it said that the motherboard was dead, however, after opening it up I saw that somebody performed a gMux bypass and desoldered the vRam chips. I managed to solder back the damaged wires and add those that were completely missing. Not sure if I missed a wire but here's the results I got.
Also after reading the post above I tried to see what would happen on a different display and all I got was a black screen.
Any advise will be much appreciated.
It's the same issue as @slimmy18222 has. Soldering a new gMux IC (Lattice LFXP2-5E), removing all wires, and flashing DeMux firmware will fix it.

Mr.Fly

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2022
It's the same issue as @slimmy18222 has. Soldering a new gMux IC (Lattice LFXP2-5E), removing all wires, and flashing DeMux firmware will fix it.
Thank you for replying. Is there anything I can do to make the wire mod work?
I don't want to put money into it as it just doesn't make sense for me right now
Somebody really messed with this board and even desoldered the GPU chip
If I can make it work by fiddling around with it a bit more I'd be happy and if not then it is what it is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.