Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I was watching some videos to see what could be the problem, and about replacing keyboards, since just before posting the above question here.
I could barely hear the video through the mac speakers (video has low audio). So I fished my 3.5mm to optical adapter cord, and hooked the mbp up to my hifi controller for better audio. After doing so I sat down to continue watching vids with better audio. I glanced down at the keyboard and noticed the keys were lit up.
The keyboard brightness keys is working now too.

Bizarre. I duno it something about the audio connection did something, or if it just turned back on and started working while I wasn't looking.
The keyboard backlight will only work in a dark environment, so you'll have to make sure you're not in a very bright location for it to illuminate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingkandyy

SOUMITRA BARMAN

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2020
Bangalore
@dosdude1
Does this mean if I flush the GMUX using your firmware, I cannot run Windows in the Virtualbox? Currently, I am running Windows with Virtualbox disabling AMD GPU. I just purchased the key and thinking of flushing.

Kingkandyy

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2022
The keyboard backlight will only work in a dark environment, so you'll have to make sure you're not in a very bright location for it to illuminate.
Hey Mr. Dos question for you? do you know the measurement between pads of the macbook JTAG, I am ordering a pogo pin so that I can purchase one of your licenses, ive scoured the web couldnt find the info i needed and don't want to buy more pogo pins then I need to find out the size, lol.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Hey Mr. Dos question for you? do you know the measurement between pads of the macbook JTAG, I am ordering a pogo pin so that I can purchase one of your licenses, ive scoured the web couldnt find the info i needed and don't want to buy more pogo pins then I need to find out the size, lol.
Get this one, it works well for this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263276278399

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
does anyone want to try coreboot/tianocore method to disable the dgpu? (and still run osx montenry with HD4000 etc?) for macbook8 is not as good because the spi is at the keyboard side.. while macbookpro10 is on the side easily accessible without disassembly

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
@dosdude1 I went to use my late 2011 mbp (with disabled gpu, running catalina with your patch tool) the other day and noticed that the keyboard backlight doesn't work. The buttons still cause the display to show that the level is being adjusted, but the backlight for them doesn't come on.

Do you know what might be the issue?

Thank you.

Edit: Hah, I had a feeling I'd asked about this before. I did, on the previous page. I just turned on the mbp again to check and they keyboard light doesn't work though. I duno.

Edit 2: I tried to boot to recovery (cmd+R) to try and maybe run first aid on the drive (?) but the mac won't do it. It just stays on a white screen...

Last edited:

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
This is only if you have it set to behave this way. In settings, keyboard, you can choose to have the ambient room light affect the keyboard brightness / auto-dim/brighten. Mine is not set like this, and never has been. I always have it set to manual brightness.
So this was not this issue.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
This is only if you have it set to behave this way. In settings, keyboard, you can choose to have the ambient room light affect the keyboard brightness / auto-dim/brighten. Mine is not set like this, and never has been. I always have it set to manual brightness.
So this was not this issue.
Then it must be a hardware issue. Check the ribbon cable right underneath the fan closest to the optical drive, ensure that it is fully inserted. Otherwise the actual keyboard backlight sheet may be bad.

Reactions: Aguymac

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
Then it must be a hardware issue. Check the ribbon cable right underneath the fan closest to the optical drive, ensure that it is fully inserted. Otherwise the actual keyboard backlight sheet may be bad.
I will check that out. I just recently changed the battery to a brand new NewerTech NuPower one, a calibrated it. Doubt I would've knocked anything loose then, but I may have happened before. I'll check.

Thank you.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
I used images I found as reference. I checked the cable, it appeared inserted well. I lifed the connector hinge, and gently removed the cable. I gently wiped it with some iso, dried it, and then carefully reinserted it, test gently to make sure the it was indeed fully inserted. Then I closed the hinge.
Started up the mac, no keyboard backlight. Damn.

Is there any way I can test the backlight sheet relatively easily, like with a multimeter somehow? I'd guess probably not.

kirk77777

Suspended
Aug 25, 2020
hello, dosdude please help, i wrote to contact@doslabelectronics.com and here, I tried to flash it 3 times, I got an error, and now the license status is incorrect. but I did not successfully install your firmware

Attachments

• photo_2022-11-23_17-58-45.jpg
    photo_2022-11-23_17-58-45.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 133

raky25

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2020
Hi Collin,
Thanks for ur efforts for saving saving planet, I have macbook 2011 15 inch I applied ur patch successfully but often screen goes black applying again all process of patch it goes back to normal , I have disconnected even battery and trying to understand running directly with Magsafe , sometime cmd S or cmd R does not work or sometime it does not recognises alt command.. very weird .. Any idea please why these commands are consistently followed , I am planning to disconnect LCD connector and see if there is any issue please. I have also noticed the cd drives does not work as well possibly will disconnect the same as well. Keyboard was tested and seems fine was wondering if u have any pointer please.

Please note that this patches once tested few years back I have never used machine (of course battery was disconnected) but recently started using and faced the issues. the machine goes black after running few hours or few days, to me it looks the display is gone black but machine may be running .
Cheers
raky

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Hi Collin,
Thanks for ur efforts for saving saving planet, I have macbook 2011 15 inch I applied ur patch successfully but often screen goes black applying again all process of patch it goes back to normal , I have disconnected even battery and trying to understand running directly with Magsafe , sometime cmd S or cmd R does not work or sometime it does not recognises alt command.. very weird .. Any idea please why these commands are consistently followed , I am planning to disconnect LCD connector and see if there is any issue please. I have also noticed the cd drives does not work as well possibly will disconnect the same as well. Keyboard was tested and seems fine was wondering if u have any pointer please.

Please note that this patches once tested few years back I have never used machine (of course battery was disconnected) but recently started using and faced the issues. the machine goes black after running few hours or few days, to me it looks the display is gone black but machine may be running .
Cheers
raky
It sounds like you're just relying on the NVRAM patch and potentially have removed R8911? If so, that's your issue. Applying DeMux firmware will permanently disable the GPU. Otherwise continuing to re-apply the NVRAM patch when it gets reset is expected, as it is only temporary.

Willianherbert

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2023
Hello from Brazil,
I have a MacBook Pro 17" A1297 2011 with the defective gpu. I disable it following the dosdude tutorial (nvram one) . A few days I left the lid open and probably went in sleeping mode then screen froze, and after forcing a shutdown it won't restart.
When I press the power button, the front white light (left of the two) is bright for about 1/2 second then goes 50% duller. The fans start up, the cd drive makes noise, but there is no chime and the display remains black.
The battery and charger are OK.
It seems the system has some form of function as when left with the led on, the CPU area on the aluminum case heats up, and if leave to heat up the fan kicks in to cool the system, then the system cools down.
I have tried an SMC and Nvram reset.
I've noticed the keyboard does not appear to respond to input - caps lock doesn't light up or the keyboard backlight or disk ejects do not work.
I've tried disconnecting the battery and running off cable power and this has no material change of effect. I also tried clean the ram memory. After several tries or if I left the Mac for hours I power it on and it works fine, but I can't turn it off or restart. The question is, if it is due the defective gpu or it could have a motherboard issue. I want to permanently disable the gpu but I don't know if it will solve both issues.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
When I press the power button, the front white light (left of the two) is bright for about 1/2 second then goes 50% duller. The fans start up, the cd drive makes noise, but there is no chime and the display remains black.
I had the same thing happen to my 15" Early 2011 MBP. It had been used daily for years with the "set NVRAM variable/move the kext" fix. Last year I replaced the battery with an aftermarket one, and it seemed to work fine. IIRC, it was several weeks later that it woudn't boot, not even into single-user mode, with the same symptoms you describe. I never got it to boot again, and have pretty much given up on it.

All I can add is that it does not appear to be a problem with the internal SSD (the original, 256GB), as I removed it and it seems to work OK as an external drive on another Mac.

Hope someone else can enlighten you further...

Reactions: Willianherbert

Willianherbert

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2023
Hello from Brazil,
I have a MacBook Pro 17" A1297 2011 with the defective gpu. I disable it following the dosdude tutorial (nvram one) . A few days I left the lid open and probably went in sleeping mode then screen froze, and after forcing a shutdown it won't restart.
The battery and charger are OK.
It seems the system has some form of function as when left with the led on, the CPU area on the aluminum case heats up, and if leave to heat up the fan kicks in to cool the system, then the system cools down.
I have tried an SMC and Nvram reset
I've noticed the keyboard does not appear to respond to input - caps lock doesn't light up or the keyboard backlight or disk ejects do not work.
I've tried disconnecting the battery and running off cable power and this has no material change of effect. I also tried clean the ram memory. After several tries or if I left the Mac for hours I power it on and it works fine, but I can't turn it off or restart. The question is, if it is due the defective gpu or it could have a motherboard issue. I want to permanently disable the gpu but I don't know if it will solve both issues.
I had the same thing happen to my 15" Early 2011 MBP. It had been used daily for years with the "set NVRAM variable/move the kext" fix. Last year I replaced the battery with an aftermarket one, and it seemed to work fine. IIRC, it was several weeks later that it woudn't boot, not even into single-user mode, with the same symptoms you describe. I never got it to boot again, and have pretty much given up on it.

All I can add is that it does not appear to be a problem with the internal SSD (the original, 256GB), as I removed it and it seems to work OK as an external drive on another Mac.

Hope someone else can enlighten you further...
I can boot in single user mode or reset nvram but the problem is I have to try several times to start. I discovered if I leave it heat up and then cold down it will starts at first try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.