Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
We can use this thread for all things PR. Just ordered the clear MagSafe for my 15 Pro Max. Hope to get it this week. I had one for my 13 pro and loved it.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
We can use this thread for all things PR. Just ordered the clear MagSafe for my 15 Pro Max. Hope to get it this week. I had one for my 13 pro and loved it.
Did you buy any kits for the case? Or are you going to keep stock for now?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I'll bite:

Rebel full ultra orange set, full matte black set.

ao01.jpg
ao04.jpg

bo01.jpg
bo02.jpg

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Nice. Tempted to get that Matte black on the clear MagSafe. Does the matte have a different texture to the buttons?

Reactions: gagee

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto
I have the regular Rebel and Frosted and been itchin' to get a few button sets, just can't decide on the color combinations. Leaning towards a natural titanium set, matte black set and the orange buttons (not a fan of the orange camera ring).

After seeing thatappleguytoday's white crystal with natural titanium buttons in the other thread, I am seriously tempted to go for that combo. Just straight 🔥

UMRebel

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
North MS
Can someone please clarify if the Crystal Black is a shiny black on the front or is it a matte finish like the Frosty? I have the 15Pro in white and I'm loving the Frosty with full component kit in black, but I'm waiting for the Crystal Clear to come back in stock and plan to add the component kit in natural titanium to it with the hope that it will match the white 15Pro camera rings better than the silver. The silver just looks a tad cheap to me. If the Crystal Black is a different (shiny finish) than the frosty (matte), I am debating picking it up as well. I've purchased a lot of cases over the past few months and the PR GEN5 is by far my favorite.

Last edited:

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
Can someone please clarify if the Crystal Black is a shiny black on the front or is it a matte finish like the Frosty? I have the 15Pro in white and I'm loving the Frosty with full component kit in black, but I'm waiting for the Crystal Clear to come back in stock and plan to add the component kit in natural titanium to it with the hope that it will match the white 15Pro camera rings better than the silver. The silver just looks a tad cheap to me. If the Crystal Black is a different (shiny finish) than the frosty (matte), I am debating picking it up as well. I've purchased a lot of cases over the past few months and the PR GEN5 is by far my favorite.
You’ve got it right. Crystal black edges are shiny opposed to Frosty’s matte. One note though, my natural titanium buttons did not work well with the crystal black. Per my email with PR CS, “
the replaceable buttons dont work well on the Crystal Cases. We will add a disclaimer on the website soon.”

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto
There are compromises with the Frosted or Crystal. The frosted has known issues like the coating coming off/scratching easily, grip isn’t as good as the other models, and also being hard to remove.

But I feel the crystal cases especially the clear will have different issues over time. Stuff like the clear TPU yellowing over time, titanium buttons not fitting properly, and it’ll definitely scratch over time like any clear case.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
There are compromises with the Frosted or Crystal. The frosted has known issues like the coating coming off/scratching easily, grip isn’t as good as the other models, and also being hard to remove.

But I feel the crystal cases especially the clear will have different issues over time. Stuff like the clear TPU yellowing over time, titanium buttons not fitting properly, and it’ll definitely scratch over time like any clear case.
Indeed to the Frosted case being hard to take off. I really struggle with taking it off.

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
How’s the scratching on the Crystal? I have to say, this one looks a lot like the dbrand Ghost case, but that thing scratches like no tomorrow.
I’ve got no scratches on mine. According to the box, it’s got “scratch protection”.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I’ve got no scratches on mine. According to the box, it’s got “scratch protection”.
Sounds great. Do you have a link, so I might order the correct one later? I have to think about it. I also have an YMW on the way.

It might be a good replacement for my dbrand. Dang, that one looks bad after a few weeks.

Reactions: off2marz

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
Sounds great. Do you have a link, so I might order the correct one later? I have to think about it. I also have an YMW on the way.

It might be a good replacement for my dbrand. Dang, that one looks bad after a few weeks.
I don’t have a link. It’s just the Phone Rebel Clear case, Crystal series Gen-5, black with MagSafe.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Looks like the phone rebel crystal gen 5 case is now available on amazon for the 15 pro max. I was able to order it on the Canada Amazon site.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Looks like the phone rebel crystal gen 5 case is now available on amazon for the 15 pro max. I was able to order it on the Canada Amazon site.

Not available for the 15 Pro Max on the US Amazon site, but it is for the 15 Pro.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the Frosted, myself. Especially now that I’ve got the button setup I was looking for. My titanium button set arrived yesterday, so now I’ve got the matte black camera ring, orange action button, and titanium buttons. Plays perfectly with my Apple Watch Ultra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.