Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
P4081083.jpeg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I'd say Molly is correct that it is a Ceanothus. There are a number of different species and some of them grow to tree size.
I have three and the one which grew tall, like a tree, almost died: this winter we had a week at -18 C
The two smaller ones didn't care about the cold too much, just few branches are gone
A photo from last year, June.
POTD April - 1_a 3.jpeg

P.s The bloom scent is pure honey 💗

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
I have three and the one which grew tall, like a tree, almost died: this winter we had a week at -18 C
The two smaller ones didn't care about the cold too much, just few branches are gone
A photo from last year, June. View attachment 2368101
Thank you for sharing that @katbel ; I live in the Pacific Northwest and used to garden quite a bit when I was younger but had never seen any flora such as this. Thank you all that contributed to my curiosity!

• Love
Reactions: katbel

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
the pink ones are so pretty.
I agree there! There's one not far from home, and taking photos is no issue, too. Sadly, we had too many late frosts for many of the flowering ornamentals. The lilacs were toast (except our later blooming French variety), and the redbuds were sparse. Got warm too soon then hit the mid-20s in early April. :(

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
A photo from last year, June. View attachment 2368101
That's a beautiful shrub and a lovely photo. Some of them are native to California while some are from further north and more used to the cold. -18°C is COLD though!

• Love
Reactions: katbel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.