Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Img.jpg

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
850_1186 copy.jpg

Thanks all for the advice!

I think the other challenges I need to overcome or adapt to are the high levels of contrast here in Vegas on sunny days and my editing ability. Sunshine is great for high shutter speeds, but the contrast with shadows here is tough to deal with. I never edited my work photos and even now post most of them on here SOTC (other than conversion to JPEG and cropping/resizing). I tried to work with this one a little to even out the shadowing and improve the sharpness with good results.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
How long have you had the 9mm? Looks like a pretty good deal for a Pana-Leica, and finally a non-fisheye UWA fast prime on M43 with AF!
I got it a few months back as a birthday present to me .Thought the price wasn't too bad , and having had good luck with a bunch of PL lenses , I jumped . Haven't really used it much . I'd hoped to try it on some dark sky photography when I was out West in early November , but the clouds rolled in and put me out of business . Really light weight , no switches for M/AF or IS . Metal mount . In the one or two times I've used it in daylight there wasn't a whole lot of distortion , if any . Focuses stupidly close , like 3-4 inches . You can pretty much fill the frame with a watch face .

Alfred's baaack! In mid-October he somehow got his beak trapped in a plastic cup or container some careless idiot had tossed into the lake. Someone in the neighborhood saw Alfred struggling to get the thing off, and contacted the appropriate wildlife rescue people. I was told they did come and save him. However, after that we didn't see him around the lake at all and I was hoping that the wildlife rescue people had taken him to a safe place where he could recover and that he would be OK. I missed him....

Yesterday I had the best Christmas gift ever -- I looked out the window and to my startled eyes Alfred was there,
standing on the ice in the lake! I immediately grabbed the camera and rushed out to the deck to say hello and to
commune with him. Alfred is home!

Stepping cautiously in the cold water with a layer of very slippery ice underneath, Alfred gazes around his familiar territory:

View attachment 2134238
On our pier, the posts are all capped with white rubbery/plastic protectors, most of which have held up pretty well through the years and various weather conditions. One was damaged a month or so ago and hasn't yet been replaced. All the other post caps are fine.....so of course, which one does Alfred choose to stand on? LOL! (Probably gave him better, more secure footing.)

Regally posing for me:

View attachment 2134690
@Clix Pix I was wondering where did Alfred go? He has been missing/awol for months. Poor guy was probably hiding and scared to get out to the lake. Probably terrified. However, I'm glad he is just fine and doing well. We all missed him. 🥰

Thank you for posting another photo of Alfred today. Looking healthier/happy as ever.🏅Pure Gold Standard Class Act! Alfred is the bright shining star 🌟 of 2022 in my eyes. Happy New Year!!!

🗽 Liberty Enlightening the World 🗽

Together we preserve her legacy.

(July IV, MDCCLXXVI)

🗽 The Statue of Liberty started as a romantic idea and became the most monumental gift in American history. Today, it stands as a singular symbol of hope and spirit.

🗽 The torch is a symbol of enlightenment. The Statue of Liberty's torch lights the way to freedom showing us the path to Liberty. Even the Statue's official name represents her most important symbol "Liberty Enlightening the World".

🗽 The statue's crown bears seven spikes, symbolizing the seven oceans and seven continents of the world, and emphasizing her message of welcome, inclusiveness, and freedom.

1672470570357.jpeg

Shot was taken from a side angle. Last photo of 2022. Ending this year with hope, freedom, and equal opportunity.

🙏🏻 May the New Year bring you happiness, peace, and prosperity. Wishing you a joyous, 2023. 🥲

Cross-references: POTD, September 2022 & December 2022.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
1930s Seth Thomas Mantle Clock. I remember this clock in my grandmother's home when I was a small boy. When she passed, my mother got it, and when my parents passed, I claimed it. After nearly 100 years, it shows signs of wear, but still works perfectly... playing the Winchester chimes on the quarter hour and striking the hour faithfully at the top of each hour.

mantleClock.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
My Grandfather had it's twin sitting in his den.
1930s Seth Thomas Mantle Clock. I remember this clock in my grandmother's home when I was a small boy. When she passed, my mother got it, and when my parents passed, I claimed it. After nearly 100 years, it shows signs of wear, but still works perfectly... playing the Winchester chimes on the quarter hour and striking the hour faithfully at the top of each hour.

View attachment 2135027

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.