Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads (up to July 2013) please see the sticky thread here**
** To see all of the POTD threads from August 2013 onwards see the thread here**

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
A long exposure taken in the city today. This was after a quick play in Lightroom to see if it has legs. I reckon it will be worth the time and effort to take into Photoshop.

_MG_9664-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech 16 Stop Firecrest ND, Bulb Mode, LunaSix 3 Incident Metering
ISO 100, 24mm, f/10, 4.5 minutes

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
In a @kenoh frame of mind, well not really, it's a film body! Spotted this beauty yesterday in the city, which even today costs more than I paid for my 6D! :eek: This was taken peering through the window, I couldn't afford to enter, we just the day before had to replace the hot water service and now need to have a gas detective come out and find a slow pressure drop leak, or replace all the gas plumbing. We're considering going electric for the heating and cooking if it happens to be the worst case scenario of replacing all the pipes as we're in a double brick structure here.

_MG_9711-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Manual Mode
ISO 6400, 105mm, f/4, 1/250

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In a @kenoh frame of mind, well not really, it's a film body! Spotted this beauty yesterday in the city, which even today costs more than I paid for my 6D! :eek: This was taken peering through the window, I couldn't afford to enter, we just the day before had to replace the hot water service and now need to have a gas detective come out and find a slow pressure drop leak, or replace all the gas plumbing. We're considering going electric for the heating and cooking if it happens to be the worst case scenario of replacing all the pipes as we're in a double brick structure here.

_MG_9711-X3.jpg

Sounds like an expensive call out. Good luck with it.

As for the Leica stuff, leave it for the Dr's and lawyers!

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Sounds like an expensive call out. Good luck with it.
You bet it is! $250 per hour! I'm hoping he finds the leak at the first joint he tests in the roof space.

As for the Leica stuff, leave it for the Dr's and lawyers!
What about if the better-half is a Dr? She's finishing a Masters degree at the moment, and wants to get her Doctorate. Can I have one by association? ;) I doubt we'll ever have the funds for that sort of kit, what with me volunteering my time most days of the week with my groups, now that the boys are all old enough to be looking after themselves financially, even if the three of them are still at home.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You bet it is! $250 per hour! I'm hoping he finds the leak at the first joint he tests in the roof space.

What about if the better-half is a Dr? She's finishing a Masters degree at the moment, and wants to get her Doctorate. Can I have one by association? ;) I doubt we'll ever have the funds for that sort of kit, what with me volunteering my time most days of the week with my groups, now that the boys are all old enough to be looking after themselves financially, even if the three of them are still at home.
In my experience a partner on higher income doesn't have the same level of GAS for photography!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

_MG_9711-X3.jpg

Nice ... oooh camera p0rn

M6 a beauty... it isnt that expensive... not if you dont want it to be.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So, couldnt get the Super Blue Blood Moon night before last because of cloud cover. However, last night it was clear so I strapped on the bazooka lens and snapped this.

While not particularly amazing, I was stunned at the number of stars (view it large, you cant see it here) that the camera picked up - ain't sensor noise as it was shot at base iso short exposure.

DSCF6441-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.