Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Noooooo. Please don't make it the last one!
Well, ok then... :)

D85_7469-XL.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Have I ever mentioned my sweet tooth? I'm always drawn to this stall at the Adelaide Central Market, like a moth to the flame. :cool:

_MG_9690-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Manual Mode
ISO 1600, 73mm, f/4, 1/500

[doublepost=1517692138][/doublepost]
No 10 stopper, but I do have a tripod. I haven't done much in the way of long exposures.
You could always merge together a series of shorter shots to get the same appearance, if you have that ability in your image editing program. If you can get down to 10 second exposures, merging together 5 or 6 of them when the clouds are moving fast can do the trick!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Playing with the new toy, the Hasselblad.

This was taken on some expired Ilford Delta 100 developed in straight D76(I wanted to check the frame spacing-a known problem-before shooting good "fresh" film). It was sort of a crummy, rainy and overcast day but it served me well enough.

This was taken on a 500C from 1960 with an 80mm "chrome" Zeiss C lens of about the same age. It's not T* I guessed the exposure at EV 12(on these lenses, it's a lot easier to just set the EV and then worry about the specifics). I think it was 1/250 at f/11(I like to keep the shutter speed as high as possible with MF SLRs since the big mirror induces a lot of vibration, although the Hasselblad seems to keep it under control as compared to some other cameras).

This is the Kentucky capitol.

frame 002-web.jpg

BTW, the Epson medium film holders are terrible, especially with curled film. I keep meaning to order an aftermarket holder. Fortunately, the 4x5 holders are great. I've never used the 35mm holders as I scan 35mm on my Coolscan V(a dedicated 35mm scanner), but they also look more substantial. I'd use the slide holders if I wanted to do a bunch at low resolution since I have 3 of them and they have retaining clips so that the slides can be pre-loaded.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
An artistic urban scene...Comments always appreciated.

Purple line
by another scotsman, on Flickr
Nice. I wonder if this would make a good B&W?
[doublepost=1517735040][/doublepost]
Playing with the new toy, the Hasselblad.

This was taken on some expired Ilford Delta 100 developed in straight D76(I wanted to check the frame spacing-a known problem-before shooting good "fresh" film). It was sort of a crummy, rainy and overcast day but it served me well enough.

This was taken on a 500C from 1960 with an 80mm "chrome" Zeiss C lens of about the same age. It's not T* I guessed the exposure at EV 12(on these lenses, it's a lot easier to just set the EV and then worry about the specifics). I think it was 1/250 at f/11(I like to keep the shutter speed as high as possible with MF SLRs since the big mirror induces a lot of vibration, although the Hasselblad seems to keep it under control as compared to some other cameras).

This is the Kentucky capitol.

View attachment 749853

BTW, the Epson medium film holders are terrible, especially with curled film. I keep meaning to order an aftermarket holder. Fortunately, the 4x5 holders are great. I've never used the 35mm holders as I scan 35mm on my Coolscan V(a dedicated 35mm scanner), but they also look more substantial. I'd use the slide holders if I wanted to do a bunch at low resolution since I have 3 of them and they have retaining clips so that the slides can be pre-loaded.
Enjoy you're Hasselblad. One of their didital cameras might be on my lottery winning purchases. Along with a nice Aston Martin.
We can all dream!
[doublepost=1517735076][/doublepost]
I haven't played for a while, so.....

View attachment 749835
Panasonic GX85 and 7-14 f4
Nicely done.
[doublepost=1517735115][/doublepost]
You didn't fancy a dip then?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I will spare you one of my P365s today and instead post a photo of some fancy (they were labeled "exotic" on the map of the show) cars from the Auto Show we went to yesterday. I'm not a car person, but my 10 YO son is (okay, and my husband a bit too....think it runs on that male gene).

I am not really a car person, and my daughter even less so, but I laughed as we walked around this trio of red cars, because there was a grandmotherly-aged woman talking to someone (presumably a little boy) trying to convince him that these cars were just like Lightning McQueen. We have been watching the Cars franchise for the last 11 years, and my son was obsessed with them as a toddler...no, lady, these are nothing like Lightning McQueen.

FB_February_03_2018_001-3.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Given the beautiful pictures of Snowy Owls we've seen in these parts recently I wasn't sure about posting a picture of a bird. :) But hey, I was happy with how this picture turned out taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity.

Gull by Lance Randall, on Flickr
We can't all shoot snowy owls!

Little known fact @Cheese&Apple runs a mouse farm just to get those wonderful shots! :D

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Nice. I wonder if this would make a good B&W?

Cheers AAlready done ready for posting in the next couple of days - works well in both formats methinks. I'm back from travels now but didn't get much of a chance to do any photography - this work business gets in the way :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Well, I'm embarrased-it seems as though I posted a flipped negative above. It's fixed now.

That's one of the potential follies of using film, whether you flip it in the enlarger or in the scanner. AFAIK, the Epson is focused for emulsion down, which is how it was scanned, but evidently I'd changed it.

Now I just need to rescan it to show the Vs :) . Some Hasselblad photographers use to intentionally print those to show that they were using one.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Thank you. It was f16, iso 200, 1/125

Sunny 16 rule twesked slightly shot on a 100-400mm lens with a 1.4x tc
[doublepost=1517608676][/doublepost]

While I agree that the moon often requires an exposure closer to daylight than what the camera might indicate, I would suggest *not* setting the aperture to f/16 as this is not the optimal aperture for center sharpness on any lens and will introduce diffraction which will degrade sharpness.

For moon shots, you are going to have to crop fairly severely which means you should shoot at the aperture which give optimal sharpness in the center for the lens you are using--usually f/5.6-f/9. Shoot at base ISO (or close to it). The moon moves pretty fast across the frame with long focal lengths--wouldn't use a shutter speed slower than 1/125 and 1/250 is probably closer to ideal.

In my experience (with Nikon and Sony) TC lenses are not worth it. Better to upsample the image with the native lens in PS rather than use a TC. TCs may work well for some subjects, but I've always gotten sharper moon images not using them.

Technique is critical when shooting moon pics. Need to be taken on a tripod. There needs to be *zero* camera/lens movement at the time of capture--so either use a long timer release or use a remote release. The lens need to set a bit after acquiring focus to become perfectly still. Manually clicking the shutter with your finger introduces the very real possibility of blur from lens shake at the long focal lengths used for moon shots with their need for severe crops. Literally *any* movement is likely to create blur in the final image.

40083986411_32168dc84f_c.jpg

Sony A7R3 100-400 GM lens @ 400mm, f/8, 1/250 sec, ISO 200

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.