Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Actually I picked up a 50mm 1.8 new, but they are so cheap. I considered the 1.4, but lots of reviews said the 1.8 was sharper.

When it comes to older lenses, I find more sample to sample variation between 1.4s and 1.8s. I have outstanding 1.4s and so-so 1.8s. I can't speak to the current AF-S versions.

I don't buy new glass on principle :) . The closest I've come was my 35mm 1.8, which was a store demo.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Dubrovnik artist

D85_2554-XL.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I'll be continuing my shallow DOF explorations of the Dietes flowers for another few days. One plant at the moment is covered with about 60 flowers on it, so I couldn't help myself. All of these were taken handheld with a moderate breeze about, in very bright sunlight, allowing for the dark background to be achieved in camera.

_MG_9377-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, Partial Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 320, 90mm, f/2.8, 1/3200

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Another from my Churches of the Bluegrass project.

This is Millville Christian Church, located on KY 1659(McCracken Pike) in Woodford County in the unincorporated community of Millville. This is a road that's actually ripe both for my churches project and another long term project of photographing distilleries. There are more-or-less 2 1/2 distilleries on this site. The major one is Woodford Reserve(Labrot & Graham) located on into Woodford County past Millville. Closer to Franklin County is the Old Crow site, which is no longer an active distillery but is used by Jim Beam for aging. Finally, there is the former Old Taylor distillery, which is being re-opened as Castle & Key. They mash fermenting on-site as well as some aging in one of the old warehouses.

In any case, this was also on Velvia 50 in a Nikon F4 and scanned on the Coolscan V. I used the Nikon 14-24 2.8 for this photo. This photo was taken in mid-October.

millvillechristian1-web.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Cheers AFB. Santa brought me a Samyang 24mm T/S for Christmas and this was the first time out with it. A day in Manchester seemed ideal for this lens and I'm pretty happy so far.
Enjoy it! I love mine. As long as you are dextrous and fine-fingered it's a beaut! It's definitely not for the clumsy or heavy handed though. Using ND filters on it is an expensive thing to do though, you need a special house for the 100x100mm filters, because of its bulbous glass. Formatt-Hitech have a costly kit to achieve this with, that fully encloses around the filter, so there are no light leaks.

Speaking of light leaks, tilt-shifts leak light like a sieve! You have to wrap them up completely to stop it from happening, if you use them for long-exposures.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Enjoy it! I love mine. As long as you are dextrous and fine-fingered it's a beaut! It's definitely not for the clumsy or heavy handed though. Using ND filters on it is an expensive thing to do though, you need a special house for the 100x100mm filters, because of its bulbous glass. Formatt-Hitech have a costly kit to achieve this with, that fully encloses around the filter, so there are no light leaks.

Speaking of light leaks, tilt-shifts leak light like a sieve! You have to wrap them up completely to stop it from happening, if you use them for long-exposures.

I got the F-H 100mm holder and a couple of ND filters for my birthday last year so ready to go there. My wife has made me a sort of blackout tube for around the T/S lens for when I get round to do long exposures - hopefully will do the trick.

Being totally manual (and with Live View exposure simulation only in AV mode on the 6D) it takes a little bit longer to get things set up for a shot but no bad thing. Time will tell how much use I get out of it but can already see the value. Cheers.
[doublepost=1514904749][/doublepost]
Unbelievably I have just been verbally abused on FaceAche for uploading this photo to a local group - apparently I should have gone and asked permission first ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
If shot taken from public land then no permission required - don't sweat about it.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Unbelievably I have just been verbally abused on FaceAche for uploading this photo to a local group - apparently I should have gone and asked permission first ;)

Hugh

I’m calling BS on that. You don’t need any permission in public places. Street photographers would have been wasting their lives taking permissions in that case.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
If shot taken from public land then no permission required - don't sweat about it.

I’m calling BS on that. You don’t need any permission in public places. Street photographers would have been wasting their lives taking permissions in that case.
Yeah, I know, and the person that complained wasn't even the owner of the boat.
I pointed out the legal angle and left it at that, but the pro and con argument over one poxy photo got so bad that I deleted the whole post ;)

Hugh

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I pointed out the legal angle and left it at that, but the pro and con argument over one poxy photo got so bad that I deleted the whole post ;)

Hugh

Ridiculous. I bet the same person might be posting their whole life on social networks anyway.

Reactions: MacRy and Hughmac

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Hugh
And that's why I've never had a FB or Twitter account, or will!

Reactions: Hughmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.