Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
It's June on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here**
[doublepost=1496275504][/doublepost]Some Autumn colours from down under.

_MG_3650-X3.jpg

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
One from Bracklinn Falls, Callander, Scotland at the weekend. For a smile, when I took this shot I had just climbed Ben A'an. 6 and a quarter mile round trip. My thigh muscles were cramped up horrendously and I was on the verge of tears kneeling down to get this shot off of the bridge. I hope it was worth it! :)

DSC02586.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

iancheyne

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Colleyville, TX
One from Bracklinn Falls, Callander, Scotland at the weekend. For a smile, when I took this shot I had just climbed Ben A'an. 6 and a quarter mile round trip. My thigh muscles were cramped up horrendously and I was on the verge of tears kneeling down to get this shot off of the bridge. I hope it was worth it! :)

Any sign of Dr. Finlay or his Casebook? Nice shot ...

Reactions: kenoh and Hughmac

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Wow! I am impressed! quite the connection you made there! I have to be honest and say Callander seems a lovely little village/town. Worth a stop for a coffee or an ice cream.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Your pain seems worthwhile to me.
[doublepost=1496327629][/doublepost]
From a recent walk....

DSC08792-XL.jpg
Nice! I'd have to go to the butterfly farm for shots like that.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Your pain seems worthwhile to me.
[doublepost=1496327629][/doublepost]
Nice! I'd have to go to the butterfly farm for shots like that.

Thanks mate, I really was in agony and if it makes you smile again, the girls said I was walking like a cowboy so they decided to imitate my walk all the way back to the car... could have cried.

Reactions: OzBok and MacRy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks mate, I really was in agony and if it makes you smile again, the girls said I was walking like a cowboy so they decided to imitate my walk all the way back to the car... could have cried.
They did the walk with you? That's impressive!

I walk like an old man on the way to the kitchen some days. When I went to the Brecon Beacons last year I was so unfit compared to the other 4. I wasn't even the oldest!

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
They did the walk with you? That's impressive!

I walk like an old man on the way to the kitchen some days. When I went to the Brecon Beacons last year I was so unfit compared to the other 4. I wasn't even the oldest!

Mate, they shamed me completely... I was knackered and the little ones were bouncing with energy the whole way!

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK

Used to live in Dunblane so Callandar and the Trossachs were virtually on the doorstep. Good fish and chip shop in Callander from memory :) From your flickr shots, looks like a new bridge over the gorge since my last trip there.
[doublepost=1496329615][/doublepost]
Dr Snoddy was always portrayed as a bad guy...Finlay was too good to be true:)

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Used to live in Dunblane so Callandar and the Trossachs were virtually on the doorstep. Good fish and chip shop in Callander from memory :) From your flickr shots, looks like a new bridge over the gorge since my last trip there.
[doublepost=1496329615][/doublepost]
Dr Snoddy was always portrayed as a bad guy...Finlay was too good to be true:)

It's a pretty unique looking bridge too isn't it? Worth a picture at least.

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Ailsa Craig
November 2016

I recently received a hand written letter asking if I had any photos of the famous Scottish landmass Ailsa Craig - a volcanic plug in the Firth of Clyde with the Isle of Arran as the backdrop.
I don't have too many good ones, but really liked this and forgot I had it. I reduced the saturation slightly from the Velvia film simulation. However, I sort of want to maybe reduce it a bit more, but what do you think? For reference, it was a particularly vivid scene as I'd zoomed in with my 50-140mm with 1.4x TC (nearly 300mm in FF) which got me closer to the subject and into the colour bands but I think the pinks may be a tad strong. Let me know what you think...

***Edit, I've just checked and this shot didn't use the 1.4x TC, just the 50-140mm at 140mm so roughly 210mm in FF terms.
1/4s / f14 / ISO 200

Ailsa Craig small PL.png

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Ailsa Craig
November 2016

I recently received a hand written letter asking if I had any photos of the famous Scottish landmass Ailsa Craig - a volcanic plug in the Firth of Clyde with the Isle of Arran as the backdrop.
I don't have too many good ones, but really liked this and forgot I had it. I reduced the saturation slightly from the Velvia film simulation. However, I sort of want to maybe reduce it a bit more, but what do you think? For reference, it was a particularly vivid scene as I'd zoomed in with my 50-140mm with 1.4x TC (nearly 300mm in FF) which got me closer to the subject and into the colour bands but I think the pinks may be a tad strong. Let me know what you think...

View attachment 701802
I would say leave as is. It is beautiful.

Reactions: Mark0

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ailsa Craig
November 2016

View attachment 701802
Stunning!

Reactions: Mark0

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Ailsa Craig
November 2016

***Edit, I've just checked and this shot didn't use the 1.4x TC, just the 50-140mm at 140mm so roughly 210mm in FF terms.
1/4s / f14 / ISO 200

View attachment 701802
Lovely. I personally don't think it's overdone - leave as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.