Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Some more Autumn colours from down under.

_MG_3657-X3.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
One from Bracklinn Falls, Callander, Scotland at the weekend. For a smile, when I took this shot I had just climbed Ben A'an. 6 and a quarter mile round trip. My thigh muscles were cramped up horrendously and I was on the verge of tears kneeling down to get this shot off of the bridge. I hope it was worth it! :)

DSC02586.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

I would say leave as is. It is beautiful.

Stunning!

Lovely. I personally don't think it's overdone - leave as is.

@kenoh Thanks for the feedback. I like your waterfall shot. Excuse the horrendous pun, but there is a nice 'flow' to it from top to bottom. Have you been putting Colin Priors advice to good use? Also, how you finding the big NDs?

@Apple fanboy Thanks for the comment.

@anotherscotsman Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to print a test version to see what it looks like.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
@kenoh Thanks for the feedback. I like your waterfall shot. Excuse the horrendous pun, but there is a nice 'flow' to it from top to bottom. Have you been putting Colin Priors advice to good use? Also, how you finding the big NDs?

@Apple fanboy Thanks for the comment.

@anotherscotsman Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to print a test version to see what it looks like.

I have been trying to yes. Good question though... I wonder if anyone sees an improvement in my work over the past month since the course....

I am trying to look for shapes and be more sensitive to alignments.

The big lesson of course is time of day to avoid flat light. My challenge is I get to go out with the girls to nice places but they wont go at dawn so there is a compromise.

I am loving the NDs but I need to remember to keep taking camera into manual mode with the grad on otherwise the camera balances the exposure and ruins the effect.

Also, on the day we went up Ben'An, got to the top and found out I had left the big stopper on my desk at home... AAAARGH!!!! :oops:

Thanks for kind words on the flow of the water image. I want to go back when my knees arent shot to hell, a few angles wanted to get that I just couldnt do that day.

Reactions: Susurs and Mark0

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
I have been trying to yes. Good question though... I wonder if anyone sees an improvement in my work over the past month since the course....

I am trying to look for shapes and be more sensitive to alignments.

The big lesson of course is time of day to avoid flat light. My challenge is I get to go out with the girls to nice places but they wont go at dawn so there is a compromise.

I am loving the NDs but I need to remember to keep taking camera into manual mode with the grad on otherwise the camera balances the exposure and ruins the effect.

Also, on the day we went up Ben'An, got to the top and found out I had left the big stopper on my desk at home... AAAARGH!!!! :oops:

Thanks for kind words on the flow of the water image. I want to go back when my knees arent shot to hell, a few angles wanted to get that I just couldnt do that day.

I think compositionally, I can see a difference with the waterfall shot. It looks to have been well considered. I've not been very active here recently but will keep a keen eye on your work. NDs are great when you get used to them, grads or not. I always shoot manual :)

Flat light can work well in certain situations, thinking of foliage and the waterfall scene you posted - that's when overcast light can actually help.

As for the Big Stopper, it could have been worse. Forgetting to pack a battery after charging it or a memory card would be worse! I've not done that thankfully.

Definitely go back to that spot when you're feeling less sore. I often go back to the same places. Some more often than others but it really expands your knowledge of a scene and when is best to get the shot. I'd love to see that scene on a calm autumn day, so that the turning leaves don't blow about and you can get a 1/2s or 1/4s shutter for the water :)

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I think compositionally, I can see a difference with the waterfall shot. It looks to have been well considered. I've not been very active here recently but will keep a keen eye on your work. NDs are great when you get used to them, grads or not. I always shoot manual :)

Flat light can work well in certain situations, thinking of foliage and the waterfall scene you posted - that's when overcast light can actually help.

As for the Big Stopper, it could have been worse. Forgetting to pack a battery after charging it or a memory card would be worse! I've not done that thankfully.

Definitely go back to that spot when you're feeling less sore. I often go back to the same places. Some more often than others but it really expands your knowledge of a scene and when is best to get the shot. I'd love to see that scene on a calm autumn day, so that the turning leaves don't blow about and you can get a 1/2s or 1/4s shutter for the water :)

I agree you need to do a scouting trip once then go back at least once more as you need to go through the "wish I had got that one while I was there" process... If I look at my pictures of Finnich Glen, my first images were really bad, me second set less so as I knew the lay of the land and also remembered wellies the second time!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Ailsa Craig
November 2016

I recently received a hand written letter asking if I had any photos of the famous Scottish landmass Ailsa Craig - a volcanic plug in the Firth of Clyde with the Isle of Arran as the backdrop.
I don't have too many good ones, but really liked this and forgot I had it. I reduced the saturation slightly from the Velvia film simulation. However, I sort of want to maybe reduce it a bit more, but what do you think? For reference, it was a particularly vivid scene as I'd zoomed in with my 50-140mm with 1.4x TC (nearly 300mm in FF) which got me closer to the subject and into the colour bands but I think the pinks may be a tad strong. Let me know what you think...

***Edit, I've just checked and this shot didn't use the 1.4x TC, just the 50-140mm at 140mm so roughly 210mm in FF terms.
1/4s / f14 / ISO 200

View attachment 701802

I love the colors here. I never see colors like that anywhere I go!

This is stunning.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another lovely shot. The pano works well with the composition.
[doublepost=1496422949][/doublepost]
Another moo from our trip to a zoo around Memorial Day.
35014014916_dfd8f29351_h.jpg
I love some rare steak!
[doublepost=1496423263][/doublepost]
I agree you need to do a scouting trip once then go back at least once more as you need to go through the "wish I had got that one while I was there" process... If I look at my pictures of Finnich Glen, my first images were really bad, me second set less so as I knew the lay of the land and also remembered wellies the second time!
Revisiting a site more than once is a good idea to get the best shots. Also if your there with the wrong lighting the first time a second visit means you already know your composition etc.
Of course I'm lucky to get out to visit somewhere once let alone twice!

Also taking the girls with you might compromise your photography time, but enjoy that family time whilst you can. Whilst I'm sure it won't end as dramatically as mine did, but some day they'll be ditching you for the local shopping centre with their friends

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Another lovely shot. The pano works well with the composition.
[doublepost=1496422949][/doublepost]
I love some rare steak!
[doublepost=1496423263][/doublepost]
Revisiting a site more than once is a good idea to get the best shots. Also if your there with the wrong lighting the first time a second visit means you already know your composition etc.
Of course I'm lucky to get out to visit somewhere once let alone twice!

Also taking the girls with you might compromise your photography time, but enjoy that family time whilst you can. Whilst I'm sure it won't end as dramatically as mine did, but some day they'll be ditching you for the local shopping centre with their friends

They are both off to their wee pals as I write this to play with water balloons. A game I have moaned when playing for the past few years but I find myself missing all of a sudden having been snubbed for the Little Mix generation...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
They are both off to their wee pals as I write this to play with water balloons. A game I have moaned when playing for the past few years but I find myself missing all of a sudden having been snubbed for the Little Mix generation...
Well could be worse. They could be ditching you for boys! :eek:

You could always get up early, do the photography then come home to take them out.
Of course that's if your knees are up to it old man!

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Hi Chris, I have to jump in here before chaos ensues and anarchy reigns supreme and say that I'm enjoying your shots of the "Barred Owl".

~ Peter

Thanks ! They are indeed called 'Barred' owls. I'm no expert on birds, owls, or flowers for that matter. Thanks for the correction ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.