Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads (up to July 2013) please see the sticky thread here**
** To see all of the POTD threads from August 2013 onwards see the thread here**
[doublepost=1527805507][/doublepost]The local estuary the other day.

Canon 500D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Spot Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 100, 50mm, f/11, 1/1250

41702690514_97be24e546_h.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Took a break from the slog yesterday and went for a walk at the local country house. They have an exhibition on by Harry Benson. Enjoyed seeing that then went outside to enjoy the grounds. Anyway, I forgot about this bridge right out the back of it. Thought the reflection was beautiful in the water.

L1005946.jpg
by Ken OHagan, on Flickr
Nice. Sadly my day out yesterday was with my dad, so not too many photos. I'll have a look at them later.
[doublepost=1527869935][/doublepost]
Downtown San Francisco

D85_3121-Edit-XL.jpg
Love it. The bridge immediately gives it context.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I would very much appreciate if you could share the camera settings used on this photography. I got to get back out to SF one of these years. Thanks.
Sure, thanks for asking @inkmich

Nikon D850 w/ 70-200 f/2.8 lens (shot at 116mm) at 640 sec, f/8 and ISO 320.

FYI, I did work this in Photoshop to convert to B&W and to control the light and dark tones using curves and layers. Here's a link to a good video by Blake Rudis that describes the process. You can use applications like Lightroom to do these kinds of local adjustments but I prefer Ps.

I'll also mention this, since it came up last month, that I don't use Lr for any detailed/local adjustments with filters, brushes, etc. I have a top of the line 2017 iMac with internal SSD but, when doing local adjustments in Lr, it's painfully slow and, with each additional adjustment, Lr gets exponentially slower.

Anyone thinking of upgrading their desktop to improve Lr performance may be disappointed. The solution I've found is to use Lr for cataloging and global edits and using Ps for the detailed local edits.

It's funny and seems counter intuitive that the seemingly more complex application runs better but it does. Ps runs fast and flawlessly but Lr...not so much. Of course the greater editing control I get with Ps also helps to satisfy my OCD tendencies.

I hope you do get back to San Francisco - it's a beautiful city with loads of character and personality.

~ Peter

Reactions: inkmich and needfx

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

FYI, I did work this in Photoshop to convert to B&W and to control the light and dark tones using curves and layers. Here's a link to a good video by Blake Rudis that describes the process. You can use applications like Lightroom to do these kinds of local adjustments but I prefer Ps.

I'll also mention this, since it came up last month, that I don't use Lr for any detailed/local adjustments with filters, brushes, etc. I have a top of the line 2017 iMac with internal SSD but, when doing local adjustments in Lr, it's painfully slow and, with each additional adjustment, Lr gets exponentially slower.

Anyone thinking of upgrading their desktop to improve Lr performance may be disappointed. The solution I've found is to use Lr for cataloging and global edits and using Ps for the detailed local edits.

It's funny and seems counter intuitive that the seemingly more complex application runs better but it does. Ps runs fast and flawlessly but Lr...not so much. Of course the greater editing control I get with Ps also helps to satisfy my OCD tendencies.

I hope you do get back to San Francisco - it's a beautiful city with loads of character and personality.

~ Peter
Interesting comments about LR vs PS. I have been thinking my machine is holding me back in terms of age, but maybe it's LR? I don't have PS to do a comparison.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

~ Peter

Interesting comments about LR vs PS. I have been thinking my machine is holding me back in terms of age, but maybe it's LR? I don't have PS to do a comparison.

I also have the newest/highest spec iMac and my LR performance is much better than it was on my old 2012 TOL iMac, but the fans do spin up every time I use the brush adjustments. I agree that PS is faster, but I'm not editing for money, so a few extra seconds to me isn't a big deal.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I also have the newest/highest spec iMac and my LR performance is much better than it was on my old 2012 TOL iMac, but the fans do spin up every time I use the brush adjustments. I agree that PS is faster, but I'm not editing for money, so a few extra seconds to me isn't a big deal.
Yeah, Lr is faster but it's hard to quantify and we all have our own tolerances. For me I find that with multiple local adjustments, Lr starts to feel unstable. I never have that feeling with Ps.

Reactions: mollyc

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Yeah, Lr is faster but it's hard to quantify and we all have our own tolerances. For me I find that with multiple local adjustments, Lr starts to feel unstable. I never have that feeling with Ps.

my take on this convo is that LR is mostly a developing tool for large amounts of photos and basic tonal corrections, not for refinements. Developing a wedding or event in PS would be a nightmare, but editing an image in LR, is also out of the question. Large databases also tend to drag LR down, the larger your library, the worse the drag.

There, I opinionated :D

Reactions: Cheese&Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.