Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
Sure, thanks for asking @inkmich

Nikon D850 w/ 70-200 f/2.8 lens (shot at 116mm) at 640 sec, f/8 and ISO 320.

FYI, I did work this in Photoshop to convert to B&W and to control the light and dark tones using curves and layers. Here's a link to a good video by Blake Rudis that describes the process. You can use applications like Lightroom to do these kinds of local adjustments but I prefer Ps.

I'll also mention this, since it came up last month, that I don't use Lr for any detailed/local adjustments with filters, brushes, etc. I have a top of the line 2017 iMac with internal SSD but, when doing local adjustments in Lr, it's painfully slow and, with each additional adjustment, Lr gets exponentially slower.

Anyone thinking of upgrading their desktop to improve Lr performance may be disappointed. The solution I've found is to use Lr for cataloging and global edits and using Ps for the detailed local edits.

It's funny and seems counter intuitive that the seemingly more complex application runs better but it does. Ps runs fast and flawlessly but Lr...not so much. Of course the greater editing control I get with Ps also helps to satisfy my OCD tendencies.

I hope you do get back to San Francisco - it's a beautiful city with loads of character and personality.

~ Peter

Thank you very much @Cheese&Apple. I definitely learn getting information like this and it helps me focus on what to consider when shooting.

My father lived in Silicon Valley for 25 years and I spent a couple of summers there with him. I've also vacationed and taken business trips in California on numerous occasions. I find California beautiful (if extremely expensive) and best of all it has some of the best driving roads (probably one of the reasons my father owned Porsches). San Francisco though must be one of the most scenic large cities in the world and I'm definitely enjoying the shots you've captured.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
The Onkaparinga Estuary, taken Tuesday.

Canon 500D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 100, 17mm, f/11, 1/25

42375718132_38df10fb24_h.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I am also wondering how many OCD laden fellows will notice "it".
Yah doin' ma head in man! I've got 3 "its!"

1. The mole or dark spot on the right, just beside the right nostril
  2. The what look like pearls on the left of the neck, almost up by the chin-line
  3. The hair or whatever it is on the right of the undies at the top
  4. I won't mention the unsymmetrical nasal openings (mine's not, but I ran into a netball pole as a kid, so waddaya expect!) or the unsymmetrical positioning of the arms or the creases in the skin of the armpits or that the undies aren't balanced in regards to height on the left and right
Did I ever mention that I have a pedantic side? o_O
[doublepost=1527949546][/doublepost]
Another flower shot. I'd have been happier if I'd had time to set up my tripod.

_DSC7211 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Comments always welcome.
I'd like to nominate this one for the critics corner! I know you can take it. ;)

Not as punishment or harassment, but because you could do better again. I truly know you can.

It presents as a good idea, but needs just a little more exploration and refinement. I have no idea of your time restraints at the time, so am assuming you were limited there, knowing your backstory.

Reactions: needfx

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

2. The what look like pearls on the left of the neck, almost up by the chin-line
  4. I won't mention the unsymmetrical nasal openings (mine's not, but I ran into a netball pole as a kid, so waddaya expect!) or the unsymmetrical positioning of the arms or the creases in the skin of the armpits or that the undies aren't balanced in regards to height on the left and right

OMG, you went full blown obsessive, was only referring to the navel, which clearly you missed and now triggered :p

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

[doublepost=1527949546][/doublepost]
I'd like to nominate this one for the critics corner! I know you can take it. ;)

Not as punishment or harassment, but because you could do better again. I truly know you can.

It presents as a good idea, but needs just a little more exploration and refinement. I have no idea of your time restraints at the time, so am assuming you were limited there, knowing your backstory.
I was out with my Dad who has no appreciation of taking your time with a picture.
So in truth I had about 15 seconds!

I'm sure given time to set up a tripod I'd have taken this below average shot and made in just below average!

(I'll post something to the critics corner, but maybe not this. I'm very thin skinned!)
:D

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.