Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
18EB4700-C8BB-48A7-8E80-0781E2B29CFE.jpeg

Shot taken 23 Oktober last year in Halmstad Sweden.

iPhone 12 Pro Max -
65 mm, f/2.2, iso 20, 1/168 s

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I compare myself to Ansel Adams all the time!

—He had a beard and I have a soul patch
—He favored brimmed hats and I occasionally wear a baseball cap
—He was shorter than I am. Or taller, I forget
—He placed his stamp forever on the art of photography, and I taught my dog to count
—I root for the Minnesota Twins and he rooted for the Seattle Mariners
—I am married to my wife and he wasn’t
—He is no longer with us and so far I’m immortal
—We are/were both right-handed
... and there's one in every crowd! Thanks for the morning chuckle...

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
What did your want to accomplish ?
Well I got there in the end; today's image is the one everyone was discussing yesterday without having seen it...you had made a comment that you prefer minimal bw images and not busy ones. I frankly prefered the image I posted yesterday (town street image) which *is* busier because it had more areas for tonal range.

The image I posted today (train station image) fell much flatter in bw film than I anticipated as I stood there seeing it IRL in color. I worked hard to bring contrast to areas that were blocked in the negative and to bring more of a tonal range that wasn't initially evident, like the sky and pavement being the same tone. The actual building has good and interesting light on it, but without the blue sky, white building, and green shrubs to give visual variation, the tones all looked too similar without a lot of editing.

Last edited:

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Well I got there in the end; today's image is the one everyone was discussing yesterday without having seen it...you had made a comment that you prefer minimal bw images and not busy ones. I frankly prefered the image I posted yesterday (town street image) which *is* busier because it had more areas for tonal range.

The image I posted today (train station image) fell much flatter in bw film than I anticipated as I stood there seeing it IRL in color. I worked hard to bring contrast to areas that were blocked in the negative and to bring more of a tonal range that wasn't initially evident, like the sky and pavement being the same tone. The actual building has good and interesting light on it, but without the blue sky, white building, and green shrubs to give visual variation, the tones all looked too similar without a lot of editing.
You posted the images just for me - that's so nice

Appears that you did a lot of work.

Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.