Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Autumnal London.

IMG_4261.JPG

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Today I am posting a final revision of an image that was bushwhacked a couple of weeks ago. I would like to thank the bushwhacker for bringing a hitherto unknown problem to my attention.

I would like to thank all of you whose contributions make this such a wonderfully vibrant online community.

For the immediate future this will be my last POTD image.
TeddyBearN.jpg

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I have been regular contributor to the POTD thread for more than two years. I have come to love the comfortable camaraderie that is the heart and soul of the POTD. About 2 weeks ago I had made the decision to temporarily step away from the POTD thread. I wanted to back-link to the previous days post, which was intended to be my last. However that image of a Teddy bear had vanished with only a vague explanation from a moderator. I finally determined that someone had lodged a complaint and the moderator had removed that image plus two or three others, presumably because those images did not comply with the complainants own strict (mis)interpretation of the rules.

That back door cancel culture approach came across as extremely rude and underhanded, and left a sour taste in my mouth. I said so at the time, then forgot all about it, until I realized that a couple of my favorite posters had recently disappeared. A little digging revealed one of them had been similarly ambushed. It occurs to me that the individual responsible for these attacks literally had to dig a deep trench to set the pettiness bar that low.

That said I am not here to moan, groan or recriminate, but to offer what I think is a saner approach. One that hopefully does not see any more valued contributors leaving the POTD family after being on the receiving end of this sort of back door cancel culture abuse.

We have a solid, fair-minded and mature community. We also have the POTD Rules discussion thread, where in the absence of the OP, we have discussed at length how the rules should be interpreted. My proposal is quite simple. I suggest we add this line to the POTD introduction:
If you feel an image posted in this thread fails to meet the guidelines please start a discussion in the POTD rules discussion thread and let the community discuss it at length.

I also suggest the POTD thread should be flagged and if moderators receive any such requests, they should reject them outright or refer them to the POTD rules discussion thread for review by the POTD community. However a complaint arrives, if there is general agreement the image should be removed, then the poster should be notified of the decision, given the exact reason for the decision, and given a fair chance to respond before being asked to remove the image.

This is a cross post from here:
I encourage you to discuss this idea at length but please do so over in the rules discussion thread.

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Today I am posting a final revision of an image that was bushwhacked a couple of weeks ago. I would like to thank the bushwhacker for bringing a hitherto unknown problem to my attention.

I would like to thank all of you whose contributions make this such a wonderfully vibrant online community.

For the immediate future this will be my last POTD image.
View attachment 2318284
I hope you are not leaving the POTD just for a "same day double post "or posting a photo of someone else, I don't remember exactly .
I was scolded as well some time ago for posting a photo of my sister...deleted and life was back a usual, at leasts on POTD.😉
I'll miss you but really hope you will reconsider 🌷

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I hope you are not leaving the POTD just for a "same day double post "or posting a photo of someone else, I don't remember exactly .
I was scolded as well some time ago for posting a photo of my sister...deleted and life was back a usual, at leasts on POTD.😉
I'll miss you but really hope you will reconsider 🌷
Thanks for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.
I assure you my hopefully temporary departure was not related to whatever it was that led to the Teddy Bear hatchet attack. However that did irritate me sufficiently to realize that such back door politics can have a long term detrimental impact on what is otherwise a superb group. Hopefully we'll see some discussion on my suggestion, perhaps it will be adopted perhaps not but I think it is worthy of some thought.
PM on the way.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.
I assure you my hopefully temporary departure was not related to whatever it was that led to the Teddy Bear hatchet attack. However that did irritate me sufficiently to realize that such back door politics can have a long term detrimental impact on what is otherwise a superb group. Hopefully we'll see some discussion on my suggestion, perhaps it will be adopted perhaps not but I think it is worthy of some thought.
PM on the way.

As the pseudo-Latin phrase goes, "illegitimum non carborundum".

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I have been regular contributor to the POTD thread for more than two years. I have come to love the comfortable camaraderie that is the heart and soul of the POTD. About 2 weeks ago I had made the decision to temporarily step away from the POTD thread. I wanted to back-link to the previous days post, which was intended to be my last. However that image of a Teddy bear had vanished with only a vague explanation from a moderator. I finally determined that someone had lodged a complaint and the moderator had removed that image plus two or three others, presumably because those images did not comply with the complainants own strict (mis)interpretation of the rules.

That back door cancel culture approach came across as extremely rude and underhanded, and left a sour taste in my mouth. I said so at the time, then forgot all about it, until I realized that a couple of my favorite posters had recently disappeared. A little digging revealed one of them had been similarly ambushed. It occurs to me that the individual responsible for these attacks literally had to dig a deep trench to set the pettiness bar that low.

That said I am not here to moan, groan or recriminate, but to offer what I think is a saner approach. One that hopefully does not see any more valued contributors leaving the POTD family after being on the receiving end of this sort of back door cancel culture abuse.

We have a solid, fair-minded and mature community We also have the POTD Rules discussion thread, where in the absence of the OP, we have discussed at length how the rules should be interpreted. My proposal is quite simple. I suggest we add this line to the POTD introduction:
If you feel an image posted in this thread fails to meet the guidelines please start a discussion in the POTD rules discussion thread and let the community discuss it at length.

I also suggest the POTD thread should be flagged and if moderators receive a such requests, they should reject them outright or refer them to the POTD rules discussion thread for review by the POTD community. However a complaint arrives, if there is general agreement the image should be removed, then the poster should be notified of the decision, given the exact reason for the decision, and given a fair chance to respond before being asked to remove the image.

This is a cross post from here:
I encourage you to discuss this idea at length but please do so over in the rules discussion thread.
Sucks to hear about the drama. I made what I thought was a joke a few months back and got the similar "bag-over-the-head, punch-in-the-face" treatment. Post was deleted, and I got a PM with a warning about attacks. Kinda funny that in all my years of posting here, I'd get such a warning. If you're at all familiar with my forum demeanor, it's humor first, and attack probably never. Usually if I'm offended, I try to apply reason and calmly work through a misunderstanding, or I ignore the post or poster. If someone gets offended easily, then an Internet forum may not be the best place to hang out! I'm guessing this post and yours above will probably also get the axe. If you like posting photos with less arguing about the rules, and to chat with a mostly friendly group of photographers, check out Cameraderie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.