Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Welcome to Photo of the Day
🍃 September 2023 (Fall Season) 🍂
First and foremost. Thank you for being here. Welcome! 🙏

I hope this thread finds you well and healthy. Say hello to warm days filled with sunshine and cool nights when open windows bring in fresh air for restful sleeping. New energy comes with the shorter days as there is less daylight for squandering. Perhaps it’s nature’s way of making us use every hour of precious daylight! Please allow me to introduce first the month of September.

It’s here! I know we shouldn’t wish the year away, but… 🍂 Autumn! I can already feel my energy levels rising, and the 🌏 world just feels more ‘right’.

Sometimes I wonder every single day where is this year going. Where did this year go? Wait a minute... It’s September already? The month of September ahhhhh. September is here. My favorite month of the year signals the end of the summer months, those carefree days making the most of longer evenings, but, fret not, all is not lost. September allows everyone to shed their summer skin, and maybe some summer sins, and begin setting new goals for the last few months of the year. With January creeping around the corner, September is the best month to remember, and scurry to complete, those New Year’s resolutions.

September is a wonderful midpoint between the end of summer and the start of Autumn that eases us into the colder months. I love the feeling of a beautiful summer day, yet with this unexplainable feeling autumn is not far behind. Most people talk about ‘spring fever’ but looking back, some of my most wonderful relationships started in the Fall and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with that feeling of Indian Summer or just a coincidence. Either way, I look forward to it every year.

Happy sharing and best wishes to all of you!

Thank you,
@TheYayAreaLiving 🎗️

*Cross Reference Thread (Archived): Photo of the Day - 🍁 September 2022 🍂

The POTD thread was started by iGary in May 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month. Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies
  • One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.
  • All photos should be your own work (unless special circumstances have been agreed).
  • Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.
  • SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site-wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.
  • Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture, and Lens.
  • Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote from this post to maintain all the formatting.
  • ** To see all of our past POTD threads (up to July 2013) please see the sticky thread here**
** To see all of the POTD threads from August 2013 onwards see the thread here**

Last edited:
To start the month of September right. The photo below is another one of a kind that I will remember rest of my life. Recently, I just got back from my 3rd vacation trip this year which was in Chicago. Chicago was a very special trip for me. I had a blast! The City of Chicago has so much to offer. The diversity and culture is all over the place. You can feel it and it follows you everywhere. The city itself is very lively and historic. There was a deep connection I made with the City. The culture, food, people, downtown area and so much more. In addition, I will never look at the pizza the same unless it's from the City of Chicago.

While being in Chicago, I didn't sleep for 4 days. On August 28, 2023, Monday morning, It suddenly dawned on me I had to come back to reality and go back home. Before that, I had no idea what day or date it was. Living the precious moments freely and openly. Mourning of sadness after leaving the Windy City kicked in real quick, I tried my hardest not to cry but I did. I just couldn’t hold it in. Just looking back and counting the gracious blessings, being grateful and thankful for is what I had thought of. Chicago took my heart and I left my small presence there unknowingly. 🙌🏻

Diverse. Innovative. World Class.

🔎 Point of View: Chicago Skyline (West)

IMG_0897 6.jpg

Key Facts: Settled: c. 1780; 243 years ago - Incorporated (town) - August 12, 1833; 190 years ago - Incorporated (city) March 4, 1837; 186 years ago - Founded by - Jean Baptiste Point du Sable - Area (City) 234.53 sq mi (607.44 km2) - Land: 227.73 sq mi (589.82 km2) - Water: 227.73 sq mi (589.82 km2) - Water: 6.80 sq mi (17.62 km2) - Elevation (mean) 597.18 ft (182.02 m) - Highest Elevation: 672 ft (205 m) near Blue Island - Lowest Elevation: 578 ft (176 m) at Lake Michigan - Total Population: 2,746,388 - Rank: 5th in North America - 3rd in United States - 1st in Illinois - Demonym: Chicagoan. City of Chicago - The Windy City 🪽

"It is hopeless for the occasional visitor to try to keep up with Chicago. She outgrows his prophecies faster than he can make them." - Mark Twain, 1883

Chicago was only 46 years old when Mark Twain wrote those words, but it had already grown more than 100-fold, from a small trading post at the mouth of the Chicago River into one of the nation’s largest cities, and it wasn’t about to stop. Over the next 20 years, it would quadruple in population, amazing the rest of the world with its ability to repeatedly reinvent itself.

And it still hasn’t stopped.

Chicago continues to be a place that many people from diverse backgrounds call home. Before it was a city, it was the home to numerous indigenous peoples, a legacy that continues to frame the relationship with the city, the land, and the environment.

Today, Chicago has become a global city, a thriving center of international trade and commerce, and a place where people of every nationality and background come to pursue the American dream.

🏙️ Chicago When You Go You Know
🥇 Chicago Voted Best Big City in the U.S. - Chicago Choose Chicago
🌭 Chi-Town - Chicago - 🌬️ The Windy City 🪽

NU46X1f_4Z00lOXxXJZ-yWv3_ufP_opPphHS2t6W55tqys8Molh8sZ-P7v4h9aqggMJq4l459p79K0PVDM6xHiB0tH9ds1LtgSC5GwewEJkkmbeGaB3BNs2NPkqn5Cw3u4QSeMhBvQu7FI09o47nFts

Copyright© 1837 - 2023 - City of Chicago - The Windy City

Last edited:

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
A monarch mimic known as Viceroy on our butterfly bush flowers yesterday Urbana IL

The viceroy is a North American butterfly. It was long thought to be a Batesian mimic of the monarch butterfly, but since the viceroy is also distasteful to predators, it is now considered a Müllerian mimic instead. The viceroy was named the state butterfly of Kentucky in 1990. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Limenitis archippus
Family: Nymphalidae
Domain: Eukaryota
Kingdom: Animalia
Order: Lepidoptera
Phylum: Arthropoda

IMG_8767.jpeg

IMAGE METADATA​

DeviceApple iPhone 14 Pro Max
Aperture ƒ/2.8
Focal length 9.0 mm
Exposure time1/494 second
ISO 32
Date taken Thu, 31 August 2023 2:2

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.