Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
I have a fairly high end DSLR with various lenses from macro to 200mm. It basically sits on a shelf now a days and only used if I’m taking scenery shots or need super zoom. Honestly I should sell it while it’s still worth something.
The X can and does totally replace a point and shoot. For advanced photos like high speed action shots it’s not quite there yet.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
I shoot professionaly with Hasselblad H6D-100, and Canon 5D MK IV's and see no reason to add a point and shoot like the G7X MK II, which I just sold knowing the X was on the way. Is the image quality as good as a 1" sensor P&S? No. But having it on you at all times is the X factor (no pun) while getting quality as good as a decent P&S.

funkiejack

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Exactly the same situation here and I find myself grabbing the dslr and 40mm prime for portraits and the iphone 7 for casual shots. Our g7x ii still gets much use though but mostly video 95% and rarely photos. One issue with the canon is that macro shots at 1.8 come out very blurry and the iphone beats it in most cases.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Exactly the same situation here and I find myself grabbing the dslr and 40mm prime for portraits and the iphone 7 for casual shots. Our g7x ii still gets much use though but mostly video 95% and rarely photos. One issue with the canon is that macro shots at 1.8 come out very blurry and the iphone beats it in most cases.

For video the iPhone X might be also be able to replace the g7x?

I actually got the gx7 for dual purposes for pics and vlogging.

Ummm the vlogging stage passed quickly lol

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Though I use my Sony RX100 and Canon 6D less and less each year, and though the iPhone X camera is very decent, I won’t be getting rid of the Sony or Canon any time soon.

The iPhone camera is like a Shake Shack burger. It’s really, really good. As good as any other burger and better than many.

But it’s not a steak.

The RX100 is like a lovely little 8oz filet mignon. The flavor is excellent, if a little safe and predictable. It’s compact and reliable.

A full frame DSLR is like a big juicy porterhouse. If you want to take real photographs and have real control, not just happy snaps of your brunch crew, you want a real camera.

Some people can’t afford steak. Some people just prefer burgers. And the old adage is still true; the best cut of meat is the one you have on your plate.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
As someone who shoots everything up to 4x5 with regularity, I can honestly say that a point and shoot has no place in MY life anymore.

I use my iPhone a lot, and I use everything from my little Leica IIIc to my D800 to various MF and 4x5 cameras a lot.

If I want a compact "real" camera the Leica and a collapsible Elmar go in my pocket. All my other tools(from small to large 35mm SLRs, crop and full frame DSLRs, and on up) have their place and get used.

Otherwise, I find the IQ from even my iPhone 6 adequate enough to not bother keeping a P&S around.

Admittedly, I did run across my Powershot A430 the other day-a camera I used a lot, and in fact found that its meter would agree pretty well with my Rolleiflex and Provia back when I used it a lot probably 10 years ago.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
For me I still carry a camera with me. As great as in-phone camera tech has evolved, I still enjoy traditional shooting with my Fuji camera. For wide angle shots I find that smartphone technology rivals that of my Fuji when viewed on an LCD/LED screen. For small prints (up to 5X7) I can’t discern any difference. So for me it boils down to the shooting experience alone.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Though I use my Sony RX100 and Canon 6D less and less each year, and though the iPhone X camera is very decent, I won’t be getting rid of the Sony or Canon any time soon.

The iPhone camera is like a Shake Shack burger. It’s really, really good. As good as any other burger and better than many.

But it’s not a steak.

The RX100 is like a lovely little 8oz filet mignon. The flavor is excellent, if a little safe and predictable. It’s compact and reliable.

A full frame DSLR is like a big juicy porterhouse. If you want to take real photographs and have real control, not just happy snaps of your brunch crew, you want a real camera.

Some people can’t afford steak. Some people just prefer burgers. And the old adage is still true; the best cut of meat is the one you have on your plate.

Made me hungry just reading that. Really good comparison!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
For me, only DSLR (micro 3/4s included) and the iPhone. I haven't bought any Point-and-Shoot since 2008.

Last edited:

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I have an Olympus M43 camera which I use a lot. But I probably take more pictures with my iPhones (currently an iPhone 8) than I do with my Canon G7X. Was considering upgrading the Canon but might wait until I get a chance to get an X (or whatever model comes out next year) and see if I am satisfied with it.
My only issue with replacing the P&S with an iPhone is when I need to use flash in a shot (and I really prefer not to), from the results I have seen a decent P&S camera is better than iPhones. Now granted I don't have the 8+ or the X, which might change my opinion - this is based on having the 8 and previously the 7 and 6.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I have an Olympus M43 camera which I use a lot. But I probably take more pictures with my iPhones (currently an iPhone 8) than I do with my Canon G7X. Was considering upgrading the Canon but might wait until I get a chance to get an X (or whatever model comes out next year) and see if I am satisfied with it.
My only issue with replacing the P&S with an iPhone is when I need to use flash in a shot (and I really prefer not to), from the results I have seen a decent P&S camera is better than iPhones. Now granted I don't have the 8+ or the X, which might change my opinion - this is based on having the 8 and previously the 7 and 6.

I can’t really speak on the quality of an 8 or non plus picture compared to a high end point and shoot picture but I do know that the portrait pics produced by the plus models, and I assume the x, when done right produce pictures my point and shoot cannot.

Whether or not they’re print quality is another conversation.
[doublepost=1511157701][/doublepost]

But it’s not a steak.

I guess with this analogy is the iPhone X’s camera closer to a steak or is it hands down clearly still a hamburger?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Remember that a camera is more than a sensor, lens, and software. A good camera offers good ergonomics and manual controls. Personally I gotta have a viewfinder as well.

I don’t currently own a P&S because my Olympus OM-D EM-5 is pretty compact when I have a small lens attached. If all I had was my Nikon DSLR, then I’d want something like the Fuji x100f or Sony RX100.

That said I have owned slim compact P&S cameras by Olympus, Panasonic, and Canon over the years that did not have viewfinders. I really missed a viewfinder in bright light, but the lack of one made for a slim camera.

Only way to know for sure is to wait a few months and ask yourself if you’ve used your P&S lately. If not, sell it.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I currently own an iPhone X (and I shortly owned an iPhone 8 Plus), a Sony DSC-RX100M3 and a Canon DSLR with several lenses, including a nice 70-200 f/4L.

Since having the iPhone 8 Plus I went on 2 short city vacations taking the Sony RX100 with me but never using it. It was in my backpack as a backup - but I took all the pictures with the iPhone.

What I noticed is that while objectively the RX100 has better picture quality (better lens, better sensor), at the end it's much easier to use the iPhone to take *quick and usable* pictures. I'm especially thinking about the software features that are integrated in iOS, which allow you to take photos in difficult lighting situations (backlight etc) without thinking and without spending several seconds with manual adjustments.

What I've found to be really amazing is how quickly Auto HDR reacts on the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. I'm able to take pictures in situations that I'd have always considered to be no-go/taboo (example: a building on a city square with the sun shining right on its back) and they turn out to be usable if not good. With the RX100, forget it: you either have a blown out sky or a black building.

So at the end it boils down to software for me, at least when I'm on vacations or short trips. If Sony, Canon et al manage to come out with a camera with the same kind of Auto HDR like iOS, I might consider swapping my RX100 for a new P&S. But AFAIK that doesn't exist yet. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Oh, and the DSLR? I end up using it only for aviation photography. But I'd never lug it with me on vacation, it's simply too bulky and heavy.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Only way to know for sure is to wait a few months and ask yourself if you’ve used your P&S lately. If not, sell it.

I do use it but not really sure I use enough to justify keeping a $4-$600 point and and shoot camera to shoot basically the same style pics I do with my mobile phone especially with the reviews I’m reading about eh iPhone x’s camera.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I do use it but not really sure I use enough to justify keeping a $4-$600 point and and shoot camera to shoot basically the same style pics I do with my mobile phone especially with the reviews I’m reading about eh iPhone x’s camera.

You're right that sometimes you find that you just no longer need certain camera gear. I've had plenty of redundant lenses over the years. Sometimes I justify keeping two lenses that cover similar focal lengths because I might use one or the other in different situations. Eventually one wins out and the other spends most of the time on the shelf, so I sell it and put the money towards something I will use more. Occasionally I will justify keeping something I don't use that often, but only when I highly value what it can do on those seldom occasions when I do use it.

If you can't think of many situations when you would absolutely want your Canon over your iPhone, then perhaps it is time to sell that camera while it's still worth something, but I would give it some time to see how you like shooting with the iPhone. I'm a big believer in enjoying the camera you use, so for me part of the joy of photography has to do with the tools I use. If I just don't like a camera for whatever reason, I won't use it much even when I think I should. Even when it is conveniently always with me. You sound like you might already be excited about using the X (or the 8/8+), and not as excited about the Canon anymore. Or perhaps you will miss the controls and features of your Canon enough that you find yourself excited about carrying it and using it.

One thing I would consider, but only if one of these options excites you: Once you are confident that you will be satisfied with the iPhone X as a replacement for your P&S, sell it and put the money towards one of two things:
  • Camera enhancements for your iPhone, like the Moment, Olloclip, or Zeiss lenses for smartphones
  • A larger sensor interchangeable lens camera for times when size is not an issue. $500 is enough to get an entry level m4/3 or APS-C camera... or even a kit well above entry level if you buy used.

Sean

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I have two DSLRs and an iPhone 6S+. Also a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I can not conceive why I would want to carry around a P&S in addition to or in lieu of one of those cameras. I schlep a big camera around with me whenever I think I might want a good print. I don't do much wall printing, but I do regularly print up to 8.5x11 or 12x12 for scrapbooking. I *can* get decent print from my phone, but much prefer the dSLR ones.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
They do? Here’s a popular option.

I find those systems a bit limiting (I have a cheaper version of that system). They all seem to be a combo of super wide angle, fish eye, macro and a 2x telephoto.

Maybe with the X 2x camera, the 2x would be decent now - I'm only used to using it on the 6S. But I'd want a different way to mount it as the camera bump is much bigger.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I think it depends. As a PaS camera, most phones are more than up to the task, and even letting you tweak settings as well if you want to. As they say, the best camera is the one you have on you, and as most people carry a phone these days that's what they use. I've a couple of friends into photography. One is a hobbyist and one does it as a side-business. Both of them have got dedicated high(ish)end DSLR cameras for when they need that bit extra, especially when post-editing is needed. But, neither have got a dedicated PaS, and instead just use their phones for that side of things.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I shoot on the M43 platform and my main camera is a Olympus OMD EM5, great camera by the way. I also own a OLYMPUS PEN Lite camera. Its basically a point and shoot battery ,with the ability to switch lenses. I also have a pancake 12-32mm pancake lens.

I mention all this is because my "point and shoot" camera can change lenses if need be, I have a larger sensor then what the iPhone has, and so I have greater flexibility. To that end, I typically carry my OMD EM5 or my Pen camera.

There are times when I'll only have my iPhone and its done a great job, but I much prefer my Olympus cameras.

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
I will say, it will not replace a 5DIII. The X can give you decent images for what it is.

I’m a photographer and will never be happy with iPhone images compared to my images taken with Pro gear.

But, for nice fast pictures, X will be there. This photo was taken with my 7plus.
[doublepost=1511265087][/doublepost]You can’t achieve the same subject isolation the same way with a phone yet.

Photo with 5DIII:

Attachments

• 3429B646-01A5-4CFB-9179-C7B29F79831D.png
    3429B646-01A5-4CFB-9179-C7B29F79831D.png
    3 MB · Views: 62
  • B2DF1A83-CFAF-4B9C-861A-5E6FDDC0C8F7.jpeg
    B2DF1A83-CFAF-4B9C-861A-5E6FDDC0C8F7.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 65

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I will say, it will not replace a 5DIII. The X can give you decent images for what it is.

I’m a photographer and will never be happy with iPhone images compared to my images taken with Pro gear.
Nobody is saying that something like the X will replace a dedicated £1,700 full-frame 22.3MP camera body with additional lenses that cost hundreds and even thousands on top. Then again, no point and shoot will, and that's the point (pardon the pun) of the thread.

For those who want interchangeable lenses and the benefits of a larger sensor, then yeah an iPhone or phone of any kind isn't going to cut it, but then you're into the realm of carrying around multiple bits of hardware - something you're only going to do if you're really into your photography.

For the vast majority of people, cameras in phones are more than adequate enough for capturing the moment. Rarely these days do you see people on holiday with big cameras unless they are a professional and/or a Chinese tourist!

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
Nobody is saying that something like the X will replace a dedicated £1,700 full-frame 22.3MP camera body with additional lenses that cost hundreds and even thousands on top. Then again, no point and shoot will, and that's the point (pardon the pun) of the thread.

For those who want interchangeable lenses and the benefits of a larger sensor, then yeah an iPhone or phone of any kind isn't going to cut it, but then you're into the realm of carrying around multiple bits of hardware - something you're only going to do if you're really into your photography.

For the vast majority of people, cameras in phones are more than adequate enough for capturing the moment. Rarely these days do you see people on holiday with big cameras unless they are a professional and/or a Chinese tourist!

Yes, agreed. I did say that as well I thought. They are good enough for a good capturing of a moment:).

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
What is totally missing from a phone camera is the lens. Most point and shoot have some kind of zoom. I have a small camera and it has a 10x zoom, which is great at concerts etc. You can also set the exposure properly so for each shot, you don't have to try to get the phone to focus, then drag the exposure down since the iPhone will alway way over expose at a concert as it tries to average the light.
I don't ever use the iPhone for serious photos. For that I have a full frame Nikon and 4/3 Olympus with many lenses.

On trips where I don't want to take a camera bag, but still want decent photos, the small point and shoot with zoom lens allows me to take photos I could never take with an iPhone. If all you are doing is taking selfies then of course the phone is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.