Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
What is totally missing from a phone camera is the lens. Most point and shoot have some kind of zoom. I have a small camera and it has a 10x zoom, which is great at concerts etc. You can also set the exposure properly so for each shot, you don't have to try to get the phone to focus, then drag the exposure down since the iPhone will alway way over expose at a concert as it tries to average the light.
I don't ever use the iPhone for serious photos. For that I have a full frame Nikon and 4/3 Olympus with many lenses.

On trips where I don't want to take a camera bag, but still want decent photos, the small point and shoot with zoom lens allows me to take photos I could never take with an iPhone. If all you are doing is taking selfies then of course the phone is the way to go.

I think I can live with the smaller sensor on the iPhone X for the types of pics I take with the PaS but the lack of optical zoom may be a rare issue.

Does the OIS on both lenses on the iPhone X really make that big of a difference? I never use the 2nd lens on my 7 plus because the pics always come out a little blurry.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Here's my simple philosophy regarding photography and cell phones and dslr/mirrorless/p&s etc...

If I'm taking pictures to go on facebook, twitter, instagram, email to friends, print 4x6 then my iPhone is perfectly fine. If I want to do anything else then I'll get out my real camera.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm strictly a hobbyist photographer and I'm in the process of selling my Nikon DSLR gear in favor of moving to an all Fuji setup. While my iPhone X takes pretty great pictures, I still find that I prefer and love the IQ on my Fuji X100F. Plus, you really can't beat the real bokeh that a traditional camera produces.

That said, my Fuji and iPhone setup will most definitely work for me. I definitely could not just have my iPhone as my main camera (but that's just me). But the important thing for me is no more carrying around a cumbersome tripod on cross country flights.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I'm strictly a hobbyist photographer and I'm in the process of selling my Nikon DSLR gear in favor of moving to an all Fuji setup. While my iPhone X takes pretty great pictures, I still find that I prefer and love the IQ on my Fuji X100F. Plus, you really can't beat the real bokeh that a traditional camera produces.

That said, my Fuji and iPhone setup will most definitely work for me. I definitely could not just have my iPhone as my main camera (but that's just me). But the important thing for me is no more carrying around a cumbersome tripod on cross country flights.

I guess another option would be to sell my dslr and switch to a smaller camera that can produce real bokeh while also swapping out my PaS and 7 plus for an iPhone X.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Not to derail this thread but hello fellow fuji user. I've had an X100 since the beginning. Love it and might upgrade to the F soon!

Reactions: nburwell

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I guess another option would be to sell my dslr and switch to a smaller camera that can produce real bokeh while also swapping out my PaS and 7 plus for an iPhone X.

That is definitely an option. Mirrorless camera have really come a long way. I'm personally a huge fan of Fuji's offerings with their X-tran sensor.
[doublepost=1511294896][/doublepost]
Not to derail this thread but hello fellow fuji user. I've had an X100 since the beginning. Love it and might upgrade to the F soon!

Great to see another Fuji owner here! I previously had the X100 and X100T years ago before I went back to DSLR's. But I love the compact design of the X100 series that I came back for the X100F. I definitely appreciate my travels more with such a compact camera that produces some superb IQ.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I’ve read a lot of sensible replies. Pro gear isn’t/can’t/won’t be replaced by an iPhone, not if you’re making professional pictures, not any time soon. If ever.

But since the first iPhone I have never seen the need for a p&s.
It’s like a knife: the best knife in a knife-fight is the one you have with you. Not the fancy one at home.
Also, as I don’t have the inclination to double my every day workload with 8kg of photo gear.
Looking back the first iPhone pictures where pretty bad, but it had one advantage: I had it with me and I could instantly send them to my wife/friends/social media. Well, oke, instantly would take some time over 2G, but it was usable. When you had wifi.

So the iPhone X camera (or whatever phone with a good camera you’re using) is the best camera ever.
Not because it makes the best pictures, but because it is always with me.

Each to his own, if you like carrying a P&S and a top of the line phone (note 8, S8, 8, 8+ or X etc.etc.etc.), be my guest.
But to be honest, why?!

Reactions: ManuCH

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I’ve read a lot of sensible replies. Pro gear isn’t/can’t/won’t be replaced by an iPhone, not if you’re making professional pictures, not any time soon. If ever.

The only "professional" work I've done is taking close up, product pics of accessories and other items I've sold through various online websites for which in my opinion, in that scenario, lighting and composition is more important.
[doublepost=1511297356][/doublepost]
Each to his own, if you like carrying a P&S and a top of the line phone (note 8, S8, 8, 8+ or X etc.etc.etc.), be my guest.
But to be honest, why?!

Based on the discussion in this thread the MAIN difference would be the optical zoom capability which the iphone X sort of kind of has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.