Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
From the previous installment:

Originally posted by MacBandit
Very nice how did you do that. With a mask?

Actually it was simpler than that. I used photoshop to desaturate everything except the blues, then upped the contrast so that the background was more that a grey blob. Blue is a pretty uncommon color (compared to say, greens or browns), so the only things that really survived were the flowers. There were a few spots with some bits of blue "noise" that I had to clean up by hand, but not many.

idkew

macrumors 68020
yeah- green is the strongest color in our light. this is why most ccd's are GRBG (or a similar pattern of detectors with two greens). so, in a square of pixels, we detect twice the amount of green than any other color.

sigma's ccd fixes this.

also- i think since green is so prevalent, that is why night vision is green, it looks for that wavelength (the strongest) of light and amplifies it.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by pooky

Actually it was simpler than that. I used photoshop to desaturate everything except the blues, then upped the contrast so that the background was more that a grey blob. Blue is a pretty uncommon color (compared to say, greens or browns), so the only things that really survived were the flowers. There were a few spots with some bits of blue "noise" that I had to clean up by hand, but not many.

more specifically, how did you "use photoshop to desat everything except the blues"? i think i know, and i should know, but i forget... :)

thanks

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by pooky

Good to know. I've been playing with color channels myself lately to make masks and color corrections and they are really powerful it's very impressive. Good work.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
what do you think of this?
it's another of my backgarden shots.
The only thing i dislike is the blurred out flower in the bottom right corner,wish i'd come at it from a different angle.

Attachments

• pict0048.jpg
    pict0048.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 748

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
And here is that one of the fly on the pink flower again but now it's bigger

Attachments

• pict0022.jpg
    pict0022.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 728

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
took this one on my way home the other night... no special effects here, just a 1 second shutter at f2.3

forgot to mention, i made a desktop version available here

Attachments

• clickndrive.jpg
    clickndrive.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 746

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
took this one on my way home the other night... no special effects here, just a 1 second shutter at f2.3

forgot to mention, i made a desktop version available here

That is in itself a special effect. It's just not a computer made special effect. Seems like since computer effects have gotten so main stream people have forgotten there are special effects you can do without a computer.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
There's some great photos on these threads... Great job, everyone.

This is my first post to the photo threads. I took this for photography class in college a few years ago. It needs dust and scratch removal, but I'm being lazy. ;)

Attachments

• moses-small.jpg
    moses-small.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 719

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Hiya, here's some of my efforts, hopefully you like them although they're not that great technically!

HMS Ark Royal leaves for the war
ArkRoyal.jpg

HMS Ark Royal returns several months later
ArkRoyalReturns.jpg

Concorde flys over with an interesting (and mostly accidental) barbed wire addition!
ConcordeFlyPast.jpg

The end of Concorde's last ever flight to Filton, Bristol UK
ConcordeSaysGoodbye.jpg

A French War memorial, in the town of Le Havre
WarMemorial.jpg

And finally, some nice water jets, in Le Havres main town square
Waterjets.jpg

Hope you like them, if I've posted too many I'll remove some (Not too sure of the etiquette here!)

Adam

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Pooky, nice shots....

mnkeybsness, yep, I've shot it too :) I think yours is cooler since some numbers are larger than others...

I have a bunch but I'll only show two :) I think Maybe I'll do a reshoot :)

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'd really like to be able to get a clear image where the only movement is in the tach needle...it's be nearly impossible to get the tach and speedo needles to move without vibrating all the numbers....

Anyway this is some flashlight work to practice for when my katana comes in....it's [the katana] at my gf's house and I get it tomorrow :D yay! She's so good at present-giving :)

Attachments

• kata.jpg
    kata.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 673

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I like this one a lot...I did it a bunch to get it just right...it looks a little better with darker levels but I'll work on a good version of that eventually....I have one that looks like The Ring....it's kinda neat :)

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 647

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
I love the dashboard images Zync!

Hope you like this...... there is no computer intervention and it is between Vegas + LA where a strange '2' cloud appeared!

Attachments

• cloud-2-1.jpg
    cloud-2-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 635

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
it's not special in the sense that anyone could do it with any camera that can change shutter speeds.

Thats true and I guess the definition can be fairly vague.

In my opinion any time an image is adjusted to look different then it does in actuality is a special effect.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Great pictures everyone. I've always been intimidated to post because everyone else's are so good.

I really like the flower shots, angelus.

mnkeybsness--that's really cool! I've never seen that before and it came out really well.

zync, those flashlight shots are awesome. How did you do that? I'd really like to play around with that.

cheekyspanky--I'm a big fan of the barbed wire shot. I like the angle and the darkness of the piece is a nice brooding motif. It's great.

The only reason I'm throwing mine in the hat is because I'd like to see if anyone can guess what exactly it is a picture of. It is...interesting...Not particularly good, but it looks like something that was done in Photoshop. However, it isn't.

So take your guesses as to what it is, and I'll give my super-special secret badge-prize to the winner.

Attachments

• pict0045.jpg
    pict0045.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 597

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
you really have to stay on top of this thread don't you? ;)

i want in on the fun:

dash01.jpg

dash02.jpg

and on to shake things up:

0058.jpg

cool photos everyone. i like the different styles shown just on this page. it would be weird to stumble upon this thread now; there are so many great photos to see – it would take forever to catch up. keep 'em coming! :D

peace.

btw- watched the Ring again last night... man, that movie is full of eye candy. i'd like to get a print of the sunset/fire tree scene. purely awesome. i would love to work on a movie like that. too much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.